Christie's Future

cannable

Don't agree with fans abusing him personally but he clearly has an attitude problem and is far too arrogant if he says he doesn't need to change his game too much. Easy for me to say this but many of you would agree that if you were a pro footballer, you'd try your best to improve on your weaknesses but he is exactly the same as he was 4 years ago.

He should have watched Baird carefully because he has a footballing brain. He may have watched him but he obviously hasn't learnt anything. Players like Christie become hopeless by the time they are 28 when their athleticism starts to decline.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, rynny said:

I have read the article a couple of times now and this part is the one that sticks out, more than saying he can be the best in the league.

Surely if you want to progress you need to adapt in what ever way possible to go higher. If that means being more defensive, and adapting so you aren't running towards their box whenever you feel like it. Surely you have to listen to your manager, who just happens to probably be the club's best RB in 20 years, and make the changes to your game, for the benefit of the club and yourself as a player.

Exactly that. No problem with thinking you're up there in your position, he's a confidence player so it's good he's confident. 

But you'd think after all these managers the players would be looking at themselves and thinking 'Right, this one might be here to stay, I'm going to give my ****** to do whatever he wants of me.' To their credit, most have come out and said along these lines.

This just smacks of naivety/stupidity. Unless Rowett has explicitly told him he's on the transfer list, I can't think he'll be very pleased at all with this.

He hasn't improved in his time here and he should have because the problem isn't in his feet.

Has it been 3 seasons now watching him dawdle on the ball?

Gets the ball and there's 2 options. Ignores them both to go on a run. Gains ground and there's another option to move the ball on. Does 2 stepovers and a cruyff turn maybe even throws in a backflip... then passes to... oh! He's marked now.

All game, every game, every month, every year.

Sure sometimes the dancing looks good. It even works. Most the time it just kills other players.

His crossing isn't a patch on Baird's.

He's not crap. He's infuriating and he's not learning. Everything we gain in ground on his runs is lost because by the time he releases the ball there's no where to go. 

Personally I don't like watching him. Or Olsson. They ruin any fluency. One wants to dance and the other stops the ball dead before he does anything. Then you've got Shackell and Pearce who are about as good on the ball as my car. 

We sit around scratching our heads, slagging off managers and players efforts. Why aren't we top of the league? We get 30,000 fans, we've spent £30m, we experience, youth, we've got big names, we've got this, we've got that... lovely. None of it counts for **** when you are trying to play fast on the deck stuff with crap footballers. 

Most our better stuff has come from being a direct side. "Go fetch it Nuge" is probably the best tactic for Derby. And that's hardly been working wonders for us.

Hate to be stepping on everyone's enthusiasm for next season but there's very few positive signs to take from any of the last 6 months. It might look better by August. But all transfer windows have done for us lately is make us worse or in Mac's case done nothing. 

It's a passing side with crap passers. A hoof side with little aerial ability. A counter attacking side is about our strength. 

Gary Rowett wasn't a miracle worker in the past. He wasn't. Hopefully some have realised that now and there will be less hype, pressure and arrogance from the club allowing him time to build on a truly unremarkable boring team. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He hasn't improved in his time here and he should have because the problem isn't in his feet.

Gets the ball and there's 2 options. Ignores them both to go on a run. Gains ground and there's another option to move the ball on. Does 2 stepovers and a cruyff turn maybe even throws in a backflip... then passes to... oh! He's marked now.

Sure sometimes the dancing looks good. It even works. Most the time it just kills other players.

He's not crap. He's infuriating and he's not learning. Everything we gain in ground on his runs is lost because by the time he releases the ball there's no where to go. 

Personally I don't like watching him. Or Olsson. They ruin any fluency. One wants to dance and the other stops the ball dead before he does anything. Then you've got Shackell and Pearce who are about as good on the ball as my car. 

We sit around scratching our heads, slagging off managers and players efforts. Why aren't we top of the league? We get 30,000 fans, we've spent £30m, we experience, youth, we've got big names, we've got this, we've got that... lovely. None of it counts for **** when you are trying to play fast on the deck stuff with crap footballers. 

Most our better stuff has come from being a direct side. "Go fetch it Nuge" is probably the best tactic for Derby. And that's hardly been working wonders for us.

Hate to be stepping on everyone's enthusiasm for next season but there's very few positive signs to take from any of the last 6 months. It might look better by August. But all transfer windows have done for us lately is make us worse or in Mac's case done nothing. 

It's a passing side with crap passers. A hoof side with little aerial ability. A counter attacking side is about our strength. 

Gary Rowett wasn't a miracle worker in the past. He wasn't. Hopefully some have realised that now and there will be less hype, pressure and arrogance from the club allowing him time to build on a truly unremarkable boring team. 

I've missed you putting the world to rights Alpha.

FWIW I answered a post in another thread that I saw us finishing 8-11th next season and I haven't seen/heard anything to alter that view.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Bang on with this, exactly how I'm feeling about the Christie and Olsson situation. That being said, I think we'll look much better with Forsyth back.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 15:50, scarboroughwa said:

Outside of a DE postcode, no-one's heard of him.

Yes they have heard of him in Coventry,also keogh,they were in the Coventry side which was relegated from the championship.

10 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I've missed you putting the world to rights Alpha.

FWIW I answered a post in another thread that I saw us finishing 8-11th next season and I haven't seen/heard anything to alter that view.

Agree mate. I bet a Barnsley fan, a Preston fan has seen them blow away decent opposition and/or equip themselves well against top sides. Take Brentford, they've dished out some masterclass performances. 

Everyone can isolate performances and say that if they sat that standard then they'll be top 6. 

The honest performance is in the average performance. On average we create few real quality chances and don't hand many out. We aren't anything special in possession. As likely to score as concede. 

We could get promoted like this. It's a league where finishing 6th can get you the same as 1st. But i'd have thought the safe money goes on the teams who are less balanced and are actually very good in one department. 

It's like we have no strength or weakness worth mentioning. 

This is the argument we had a couple of years ago. People moaned about how we were too predictable. What we have now is an unpredictable team. We don't know what we're good at. We have plan A-Z and every formation in the book. And they all look the same. 

Struggling to find any optimism, Hants 

I worked at a company for 4 years once I thought I was one of the best there , I told all my work mates and superiors how good I was , they said you've not got much better since the day you started , I'll get better I'm not the finished article yet I said ,they let me go told me they couldn't wait for ever they needed me to perform now not in a few years , cheeky ***** I've never been in McDonalds since!

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Summed up my thoughts on Christie to a tee. Time to move on for the good of both parties, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Summed up my thoughts on Christie to a tee. Time to move on for the good of both parties, IMO.

It's possible it's a transfer that could come back to haunt us. He has the feet if someone could put some glasses on him then he could be excellent. 

Just how many years can you take of watching him dawdle. 

Imagine him as a sniper. He's spend all day just organising his position while the target gets away

26 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Football players need to keep away from twitter, at least until in the twilight of their careers, far too often get embroiled in spats with eejits, far too often many things said that shouldn't be.

Absolutely. It also unfairly gives the impression a fanbase is downright malicious. If you use it a lot, you can be forgiven for taking a social media community as a fair representation of a group of people. The reality is it's heavy users are skewed towards the young, naive, and the mental. 

Just take this forum as an example... :ph34r:

Archived