Christie's Future

cannable

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not a stats fan per se, but according to that site Baird has 3 assists, what does that mean?

Yeh we've noticed ;)

Assists are the passes which directly lead to a goal - The pass from which the goalscorer gets a goal - You're right that sometimes this stat is a little odd - If someone makes a pass into a guy on halfway who then goes on a mazy run, beats five players and scores they still get an assist credit - That said I think whoscored are somewhat more rigid than that in defining what they consider an assist - Since they only registered us having 30 something assists all season!

But I don't think stats can be completely ignored - I use statistical analysis (in a form) a lot in my job and you can take a lot from it - especially when you combine some together

Offensively Christie had a high number of key passes per game and a high number of dribbles per game - Which suggests attacking intent - The fact that he was dispossessed a significant number of times shows that he ran into trouble a lot but his instances of bad control were fairly low compared to his attacking intent stats

No-one expects to be able to build a successful team in football using only the Moneyball approach - But simply ignoring the statistics in the modern game is a fairly outdated viewpoint - Every top side now has a statistical analysis team in place for internal and external means (player performance and scouting mainly)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh we've noticed ;)

Assists are the passes which directly lead to a goal ...

No-one expects to be able to build a successful team in football using only the Moneyball approach - But simply ignoring the statistics in the modern game is a fairly outdated viewpoint - Every top side now has a statistical analysis team in place for internal and external means (player performance and scouting mainly)

I was joshing with you. :) But I'm old-fashioned with my view of defenders - defence first for me. Plus assists! ;)

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was joshing with you. :) But I'm old-fashioned with my view of defenders - defence first for me. Plus assists! ;)

I know :) Don't worry 

To be fair - I would start Baird as our first choice right back anyway - Think he's been excellent since coming in - He has a touch of class and a brain which works faster than anyone else in the side - Hughes included this season

I also love the look on his face when he does something wrong - Since the brain knows exactly what to do and the body isn't willing anymore - There's a look that says "What? Wait? How did that happen? I definitely hit that right - Oh wait, I'm old now"

Baird did well last season but there is no guarantee he will next season but that is football- Christie could be sold or could be fantastic - we will see but before he moves on we need a youngish fullback at the club who will take on the role in the way we need it.

On 6/2/2017 at 15:39, Papahet said:

He later goes on to say "I'm one of the best full backs in the league".

Cloud cuckoo land, one or two good games and he thinks he's Cafu.

OK he's not Cafe but nor is any other fullback in the English game. He certainly has potential, and self confidence is a requirement for any successful professional sports person.

Burnley are building up a healthy stock of Republic of Ireland internationals - 4 started against Uruguay this week while Shane Long and Glen Whelan are being linked.

Christie may fancy joining this contingent?

3 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Burnley are building up a healthy stock of Republic of Ireland internationals - 4 started against Uruguay this week while Shane Long and Glen Whelan are being linked.

Christie may fancy joining this contingent?

To be honest all of my best mates could join up and try and convince me that Burnley was a great place to live and it still wouldn't work. I have been there.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:53, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

To be honest all of my best mates could join up and try and convince me that Burnley was a great place to live and it still wouldn't work. I have been there.

They should do a stat of how many players actually live in the city they are playing for. I'm fairly sure Burnley will say Zero!

8 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Can't See GR going for it but at the moment I would be tempted to go 3 at the back with Davies/Keogh/ Pearce/Shackell

Wing Backs Christie and Forsyth either side of Thorne

That's 4 centre backs 2 full backs a defensive mid plus goalie. Won't let many in but may be a tad boring 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

That's 4 centre backs 2 full backs a defensive mid plus goalie. Won't let many in but may be a tad boring 

This is why I do not post often.

Please

For '3 at the back' read '3'

For '/' read 'or' (I know this is a tricky one)

For 'Thorne' read 'Thorne' Yes I know strategicly a DM but has been known to  play some good forward passes and make some good forward runs.

For 'Wing Backs' please read 'Wing Backs' as I meant not Fullbacks. I also Mentioned as an example Christie and Forsyth as they are almost as good forwards as they are at defending.

Thanks for reminding me we need a goalkeeper too,  are you sure you do not want to point out we need 4 more as well ?

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

Can't See GR going for it but at the moment I would be tempted to go 3 at the back with Davies/Keogh/ Pearce/Shackell

Wing Backs Christie and Forsyth either side of Thorne

Can't see it but who knows though. 

35 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

This is why I do not post often.

Please

For '3 at the back' read '3'

For '/' read 'or' (I know this is a tricky one)

For 'Thorne' read 'Thorne' Yes I know strategicly a DM but has been known to  play some good forward passes and make some good forward runs.

For 'Wing Backs' please read 'Wing Backs' as I meant not Fullbacks. I also Mentioned as an example Christie and Forsyth as they are almost as good forwards as they are at defending.

Thanks for reminding me we need a goalkeeper too,  are you sure you do not want to point out we need 4 more as well ?

Er for 'Thorne' read 'Thorne'. For ' wing backs' read 'wing backs'? I know I've had a couple but.........

Feel for Cyrus. He's been getting a load of grief on Twitter for just being honest and now his uncle has died but still turned out for 90 minutes last evening and gave his all for Ireland. 

I have always liked Cyrus' attitude, like his uncle he is a fighter.

Archived