Christie's Future

cannable

Cyrus Christie has admitted he is unsure how he will fit into Gary Rowett's future plans at Derby County.

The full-back says he may have to adapt his style of play if he is to figure for the Rams next season.

Christie has started only two of Rowett's nine games in charge so far, with Chris Baird generally having been preferred on the right of the defence.

The 24-year-old Republic of Ireland international admits 2016-17 was a "tough" season for him, which included a spell on the sidelines due to injury.

The campaign also saw three permanent managers at Derby - Nigel Pearson, Steve McClaren and Rowett.

Talking about the current boss, Christie told the Irish Sun: "The manager knows what I'm capable of but when a new manager comes in, you don't fit into their style sometimes and that's been the case.

"He's completely different to a lot of managers I've had.

"I'm quite an attack-based full-back and he prefers the more defensive. That's just the way it is.

"He has to pick a team and I'm old enough and mature enough to deal with that.

Gary Rowett

"I'll go in and adapt my game but I'm not going to change it too much because this is what I've made my career on.

"He says I'm a good player but sometimes my style may not fit."

"Like I said, I'm willing to adapt to how he wants to play and we'll go from there."

Christie is currently on international duty with Ireland.

He played as a wing-back in the 3-1 friendly defeat to Mexico in New Jersey.

Martin O'Neill's men face Uruguay in another friendly in Dublin on Sunday (June 4) before a home World Cup qualifier against Austria on June 11.

http://bit.ly/2qI6kys

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some refreshing honesty instead of the normal mumbo jumbo we hear.

Bravo Cyrus!

And of course he can adapt here and there but he needs to keep attacking, and be a Hector Bellerin, as that's what the top full backs  all do 

Hope he's staying. Good player and is good to have him battling the place for RB with Chris Baird tbh. CB and other areas is the one we should be looking at just in case. 

9 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Hope he's staying. Good player and is good to have him battling the place for RB with Chris Baird tbh. CB and other areas is the one we should be looking at just in case. 

Couldn't disagree more, right back is by far our weakest position. Cyrus is not consistent enough and Baird will be gone after this season no matter what. We need a good young solid player bought battling with Baird for the position and learning from him.

Says he thinks he's one of the best full backs in the division and even the very best, top of the pile, on his day.

All in the DT.

Deluded. No wonder he's not been making any progress in his time here if that's his attitude. 

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

He later goes on to say "I'm one of the best full backs in the league".

Cloud cuckoo land, one or two good games and he thinks he's Cafu.

Some of our fans (included @DcFc Dyycheee) classed him as Irish Cafu. Lol. 

He had more than 2 good games for us tbh. 

Just now, scarboroughwa said:

Outside of a DE postcode, no-one's heard of him.

But you're a Derby County fan... You should know who Cyrus Christie is...

And anyone who watches the championship should know a little bit about him even if you aren't a Derby fan...

1 minute ago, scarboroughwa said:

Outside of a DE postcode, no-one's heard of him.

Everyone in the division plus ex clubs have heard of him. So you're wrong.

Archived