Christie's Future

cannable

Just now, Ninos said:

Martin isn't overrated by the general footballing public or even Derby fans for that matter, just a small contingent of our fans some of whom post like crazy on the forum because they are stuck in 2013-14

:huh: This is a thread about Christie.. why even bring Martin up? So obsessed with Chris Martin...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

:huh: This is a thread about Christie.. why even bring Martin up? So obsessed with Chris Martin...

Feel free to request a mod to relocate the paragraph where I'm responding to McLovins point to another thread. There's a good lad.:D

The derby version of Monty Panesar. 

He's played the same match for 3 seasons in a row, when it works he looks a talent but on more occasions than not he doesn't.

He's exactly the same player I first saw at Notts County away in pre-season, if any manager other than Clement signs players on their YouTube best bits, we should get a decent amount for him.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Say it all mate. 

How someone can say that they are the best full back in the league is beyond me. Surely you let others say this while you get your head down and work. Unfortunately I reckon there maybe more than just Cyrus Christie in this squad of ours who believe that they are better than they actually are. Hopefully we can get players in who have something to prove and not ones who see themselves has the finished article on their day. 

We have all asked ourselves why this so called talented squad have missed out on promotion in the last few years and christies interview is quite revealing if this attitude is shared across the dressing room. Do they go into games thinking that they need to just turn up for the three points? Do they believe at one nil up that the game is won?? 

Cyrus, I have yet to here Ronaldo and Messi state that on their day they are the best in the world. I wonder why this is, maybe they let others say it while they are totally committed to perform week in week out

22 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Martin isn't overrated by the general footballing public or even Derby fans for that matter, just a small contingent of our fans some of whom post like crazy on the forum because they are stuck in 2013-14

49566784.jpg

6 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

How someone can say that they are the best full back in the league is beyond me. Surely you let others say this while you get your head down and work. Unfortunately I reckon there maybe more than just Cyrus Christie in this squad of ours who believe that they are better than they actually are. Hopefully we can get players in who have something to prove and not ones who see themselves has the finished article on their day. 

We have all asked ourselves why this so called talented squad have missed out on promotion in the last few years and christies interview is quite revealing if this attitude is shared across the dressing room. Do they go into games thinking that they need to just turn up for the three points? Do they believe at one nil up that the game is won?? 

Cyrus, I have yet to here Ronaldo and Messi state that on their day they are the best in the world. I wonder why this is, maybe they let others say it while they are totally committed to perform week in week out

Good point, just like some of his on field decisions this is not one of his better ones. However if it's designed to engineer a move away and it adds a few quid to his value then it's a win win situation. I do feel it's a crying shame that he hasn't found the consistency to take his game to the next level. He is not as untalented as some paint. His international status should also add extra value to his stock if his time with us is up. Good luck to him if that is the case. If GR is looking for a more defence orientated full back then maybe he sees Jamie Hanson as adequate cover for Chris Baird. Who knows what the transfer merry go round will bring.

4 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

Outside of a DE postcode, no-one's heard of him.

Aside from most Irish football fans, internationals tend to be known by their own country, just saying.

5 hours ago, Tombo said:

Says he thinks he's one of the best full backs in the division and even the very best, top of the pile, on his day.

All in the DT.

Deluded. No wonder he's not been making any progress in his time here if that's his attitude. 

Deluded or confident? As someone else said being over confident bordering on arrogant, is a fine line to believing in yourself.

I'm not a massive Christie fan, the handful of really good performances or odd shimmy and waltzing around in circles, haven't left me gushing with the belief he's Cafu either but I like any player to be confident, it's shows ambition in my eyes.

Just think some of the negative reaction here is because he hasn't really proved himself to many yet. If Will had come out and said half of Chrities comments, I think you would rightly see a different reaction.

6 hours ago, Ninos said:

Some refreshing honesty instead of the normal mumbo jumbo we hear.

Bravo Cyrus!

And of course he can adapt here and there but he needs to keep attacking, and be a Hector Bellerin, as that's what the top full backs  all do 

He's no Bellerin - and your judgement is  poor . What percentage of his crosses are actually directed effectively and quickly enough? He is very frustrating to watch and the combination of him and Tom Ince down the right just doesn't work. At this stage Chris Baird is preferable.

19 minutes ago, DRBee said:

He's no Bellerin - and your judgement is  poor . What percentage of his crosses are actually directed effectively and quickly enough? He is very frustrating to watch and the combination of him and Tom Ince down the right just doesn't work. At this stage Chris Baird is preferable.

It could be stated Bellerin has looked quite poor for portions of this season, but I agree, his crossing is very infuriating, some games he can be right on form and smash in loads of great crosses, and others it's inconsistent (most players in the league are the same though) and with the point on him and Ince statistically Ince has way less goals and assists with Baird, and I think I'd rather play with Ince.

6 hours ago, Tombo said:

Says he thinks he's one of the best full backs in the division and even the very best, top of the pile, on his day.

All in the DT.

Deluded. No wonder he's not been making any progress in his time here if that's his attitude. 

6 hours ago, Papahet said:

He later goes on to say "I'm one of the best full backs in the league".

Cloud cuckoo land, one or two good games and he thinks he's Cafu.

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

Our last 4 managers have not rated Christie and have attempted to get rid of him. He looks good because he is athletic, that's about it. He played well in 15/16 but the more I see him, the more I think that season was a fluke.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Bloody hell don't know where to begin with this, dunno whether that comment was taken out of context but he's delusional and ridiculously cocky if he genuinely believes what he says! He's not even the best right back at our club, 

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

He's not even the best right back at Derby County.

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

You tell em Cyrus just got to work on your passing heading tackling shooting and positional play and you d man, now ******* wake up !

He probably is as good as any other right back in this league.

Who would we swap him for?

Chris gunter? jack hunt? Ryan fredericks faded away.ivo pinto is highly rated but i can't recall him for norwich.

cyrus has a problem with his final ball but doesn't deserve all the above. Whoever plays right back would probably cop for a load of aggro. Lets face it, there are plenty of fans who hate olsson too.

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He probably is as good asany other right back in this league.

Who would we swap him for?

Chris gunter? jack hunt? Ryan fredericks faded away.ivo pinto is highly rated but i can't recall him for norwich.

cyrus has a problem with his final ball but doesn't deserve all the above. Whoever plays right back would probably cop for a load of aggro. Lets face it, there are plenty of fans who hate olsson too.

Because Olsson also isn't good enough. I think to me, it's clear, I think this season we have played much better with Baird at right back than Cyrus, he may go elsewhere and look a really good player, and if so fair play to him. As he stated, Rowett prefers to play with a slower right back, Baird fitting the bill, and I think Ince plays better with Baird than Christie. It's not about overall skill, it's about balance, and I think we look a more balanced side with Baird, than with Christie. 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because Olsson also isn't good enough. I think to me, it's clear, I think this season we have played much better with Baird at right back than Cyrus, he may go elsewhere and look a really good player, and if so fair play to him. As he stated, Rowett prefers to play with a slower right back, Baird fitting the bill, and I think Ince plays better with Baird than Christie. It's not about overall skill, it's about balance, and I think we look a more balanced side with Baird, than with Christie. 

....and if you don't cross the half way line, you can't be criticised for your final ball?

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

So he just needs to improve his crossing then? 

Where did I say he was Bellerin? I said that's the type of player we need to have there - an attacking fullback with skill enough to beat people-not a static donkey- and Baird ain't that is he - and this oft perpetuated myth that Baird has to play for the sake of making Ince click is just ridiculous. Baird is a utlility backup player at best. At LB we are blessed with good players : Fozzy Lowe etc, but at RB we have very little just Christie and Baird and a good Stabana fairly far removed from making a first team appearance. 

6 hours ago, Ninos said:

Christie hasn't played to his potential that's for sure and he can be frustrating and makes my head hurt too, but he attacks and I love that, and how is he worse than Fozzy for example. And Fozzy is suddenly a sacrosanct player now he's out and we don't win. Both Fozzy and Christie are excellent: fast, can defend when they must and are very good in the air. Christie though has that special ability of being willing and able to beat players relatively easily, and is very tricky on the ball too. I agree with him that he's one of the best but he certainly needs to step his game up. He's not premier league now but he's premier league quality - rather like Hendrick and Grant. 

His comments though are prob designed to orchestrate a move to a higher league - and they probably will. 

I have to disagree. Fozzy is without a doubt one of the best left backs in the league. A superb defender who stands up his man and uses his height to great effect when defending. I can count the number of times a winger has had his number over the pat three years on one hand. Sure, his delivery at crosses falters at times, but even then he's  a lot more consistent at it than Christie.

Christie on the other hand commits far too often and gets beaten by his opposite winger far too often for my liking. He doesn't use his height and strength as well as he should, he often goes walkabout when the team are trying to hold their shape. Fozzy doesn't have this problem. Arriving at the final third he has the opposite problem to Fozzy (who is sometimes guilty of lazy crossing), Christie runs infield into traffic, into Ince, instead of offering the width he should. 

No comparison between the two. If you parachuted someone ho had never even heard of Derby and asked them who we would've spent more money on, I bet they'd say Fozzy, and they'd be wrong. 

Archived