Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I take the point if he's more 6'1 than 6'3, but he's extremely physical and horrible to play against. I wouldn't be worried about him being dominated by a Gestede/Rhodes, even if they do have a couple of inches on him.

100% agree that we need a CB who can play out from the back, that's why I've been so against Flint, but I'll take Hanley over Pearce and Shackell any day. He's not as good as Keogh with the ball but he's mobile enough to move it along better than Pearce or Shackell are. I've been saying we need someone as good as Pearce defensively but more mobile and better with the ball. Hanley fits the bill enough for me to be happy with signing him, but not as much as someone like Kyle Bartley, who unfortunately seems to be staying at Swansea.

I've been a critic of both Shackell and Pearce the majority of the season, I don't think they fit us better than Buxton did. Now Buxton wasn't a complete defender, and perhaps it's rose tinted glasses, but he was the right type of player to fit us, I'd like an improve defender who plays the same style as Buxton personally. Pearce and Shackell are just useless at playing from the back, and as such I don't think they fit the way we've tried to play in past seasons (albeit, that might change) but for example Shackell suited Burnley's style of play of sit deep and suck up pressure, he didn't have to take a risk on the ball.

I personally don't even believe Pearce is too good defensively either, I think he has been one of our main culprits (I accept there has been many) to lose their man from corners and miss headers. I accept in the Championship you'll never have a complete defender, but for me one of the most important attributes is being a footballer, not just a physical presence. To be fair, I'm doubting Hanley could be worse than Pearce on the ball if he was even trying to be! 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I've been a critic of both Shackell and Pearce the majority of the season, I don't think they fit us better than Buxton did. Now Buxton wasn't a complete defender, and perhaps it's rose tinted glasses, but he was the right type of player to fit us, I'd like an improve defender who plays the same style as Buxton personally. Pearce and Shackell are just useless at playing from the back, and as such I don't think they fit the way we've tried to play in past seasons (albeit, that might change) but for example Shackell suited Burnley's style of play of sit deep and suck up pressure, he didn't have to take a risk on the ball.

I personally don't even believe Pearce is too good defensively either, I think he has been one of our main culprits (I accept there has been many) to lose their man from corners and miss headers. I accept in the Championship you'll never have a complete defender, but for me one of the most important attributes is being a footballer, not just a physical presence. To be fair, I'm doubting Hanley could be worse than Pearce on the ball if he was even trying to be! 

But it will be a different style next season and I'm fairly sure the defenders job will be to defend...

Just now, rammieib said:

But it will be a different style next season and I'm fairly sure the defenders job will be to defend...

Like I said, it could well change, and if Hanley is the man to fit Rowett's style so be it, I'm judging what I've seen from the previous versions of Derby, which I don't think would change too much, however I could be totally wrong, I'm reserving judgement, but I don't think Hanley should be worth 4 million.

Looking at GR previous teams they are built on hard work and athleticism. They consist of strong tight defensive unit which gives very little away. The midfield provides additional extra protection. His team play quick counter attacking football. His teams are very much results orientated. 1:0 will be the order of day. Any win will do pretty or not.

He also try to make sure we cut out the late goals we all seem to concede.Points on board will the primary objective in every game.

He is worthless to Newcastle. He didn't play in their Championship team so he's not going to play in their Premier League team. The longer he stays there the more of a drain on their resources he is. They're having a total laugh with the asking price, basically trying bare-faced cheek and seeing if anyone is daft enough to pay it. We're mugs if we do.

If no one buys him it's quite likely Newcastle would simply pay off Hanley's contract and release him, as some rumours have us doing with some of the squad at Moor Farm. If we're interested we should tell Hanley to get Newcastle to do that and then pay him a nice signing-on fee later in the summer, whe he joins as a free agent.

7 hours ago, KBB said:

I'm expecting the ball spun over the top of the opposition fullbacks for forwards to work the channels and try and get their defenders to put it out and build in their third of the field.

For years we have had clubs do it to us. Dunk at brighton just put every single pass onto Olson's head for an easy throw in, or over the top for an easy throw in.

Its so simple, yet we want a hybrid of bobby Moore, Rio Ferdinand and franc lebouf.

Trouble with this is so many fullbacks can't do it accurately enough and it becomes hoofball down the line. Olsson can do it say 1 out of 5. Not the football I want to see.

8 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Looking at GR previous teams they are built on hard work and athleticism. They consist of strong tight defensive unit which gives very little away. The midfield provides additional extra protection. His team play quick counter attacking football. His teams are very much results orientated. 1:0 will be the order of day. Any win will do pretty or not.

He also try to make sure we cut out the late goals we all seem to concede.Points on board will the primary objective in every game.

Yes. Anyone who thinks Derby will be playing nice football from the back are in for a surprise I think.  In fact,  GR seems utterly disinterested in 'beautiful' football and it's all about maximising chances, and then winning back the ball. He'll want solid defenders, hard midfielders who run all day and shoot etc. It's why he picked Johnson and Bryson over Hughes.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I have no problem with my defenders being there to defend! We are in the championship and if we do keep clean sheets we have the forwards to win many games

Actually I think a defender playing hoofball may be better than shackell who slows it down and let's the opposition get into marking positions. Mind you shackell is a blooming good defender when fit.

38 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Actually I think a defender playing hoofball may be better than shackell who slows it down and let's the opposition get into marking positions. Mind you shackell is a blooming good defender when fit.

Although Rowett could just go to Shackell and say when you get it, hoof it!

Hanley wouldn't be my first choice but at least he has something to prove, if only to get into Scotland's team.

On 5/28/2017 at 06:51, feisty said:

Yes. Anyone who thinks Derby will be playing nice football from the back are in for a surprise I think.  In fact,  GR seems utterly disinterested in 'beautiful' football and it's all about maximising chances, and then winning back the ball. He'll want solid defenders, hard midfielders who run all day and shoot etc. It's why he picked Johnson and Bryson over Hughes.

GR is indeed a football pragmatist; this translates into studying the opposition and then playing the side which he thinks can exploit the opposition's weaknesses. We know he will demand more physical exertion from players on the pitch and then to extract what can be extracted from "marginal gains". It will be a quicker style of football, which I think is epitomised by the Birmingham side that he was in charge of that beat us 3-0 at home, under Mac2(?). It's a sort of coiled cobra...men behind the ball, with compact shape, but ready to strike lightening quick (un-coil) when the opposition loses their shape. It requires speed and very swift forward play. Vydra and Blackman may well be rehabilitated in that style with Martin (the Cobra's head) used as a deep-ish fulcrum or lynchpin around which quick wide-er men arc in from inside-left and inside-right channels (the cobra's fangs), and full-backs then overlap...

Iam not pi$5 3d you k now...:mellow:

If this is his style do you think he might employ 4-4-2 with graters like Russell and  Boyd as his wide men?

As a two, he might prefer Nugent with his energy and Vydra feeding off him.

That would put pressure on those two to score goals as neither Russell nor Boyd are prolific.

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If this is his style do you think he might employ 4-4-2 with graters like Russell and  Boyd as his wide men?

That would put pressure on those two to score goals as neither Russell nor Boyd are prolific.

The problem again with that though is the same problem we had under Pearson, the central midfield.  

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

That suggestion is a little cheesy....

7 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I think Adam Le Fondue would suit this system perfectly 

I don't - He never fully comes to the boil - He has a tendency to dip in and out of games - And for the time and effort you have to put in to get him to play right he feels like a bit of a luxury

Archived