Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are selling shackell. I'd go against most of the comments here and say buying Grant would be a great swap.

Keogh and Grant, Fozzy back and a new RB.

Pearce for backup

Would be happy with that and without more outgoings, can't ask for much more.

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Might be in the minority here but I would be quite happy to see us sign Hanley for £4m. Highly-rated when at Blackburn, rated in the Scotland set-up and didn't really get a look in at Newcastle this season. Certainly a big improvement on Pearce. 

I would be quite happy to sign him for a lot less! - I don't think we have a bucket load of cash ? to throw around and just like us with Blackman if they don't want him then move him on.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We have a right back in Christie. No need to throw money at a position we have covered.

Just need to find his form back (he was on form before he got injured though) 

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

After his purple patch in mid-season Pearce was largely poor in my opinion. No idea if Hanley is any better but if we were to sign him I would at least give him a chance instead of assuming he will be rubbish.

Pearce started getting eviscerated when we started trying to control the game and deploying a high-line rather than defending deep.

Pearce is plenty good enough if you want a deep defence, heading and kicking and if you want a high-line then Hanley isn't the answer anyway.

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quite surprised so many rate Pearce over Hanley. How come, may I ask? 

We've had the 6th best defence in the league this season without a recognised DCM in front of them - Most CBs these days struggle without some kind of cover in front of them - I don't think Pearce has been nearly as woeful as people suggest he's just been exposed

Hanley I'm entirely 50/50 about - There's probably a decent CB in there BUT so far he's been considered 'very good' in a VERY weak Blackburn side - The advantage you have as a defender in a weak side is everyone expects you to be terrible - People overlook the frailties and the mistakes because they're expected - The fact he didn't get a look in at Newcastle sends warning signs for me

I think it's the problem Keogh has had with us - Everyone sets the expectations SO high - Yet we've had Shackell and Pearce come in, both captains at their previous clubs, both promotion winners, both had 'good' premier league seasons - And for me neither of them have been as good as Keogh over the last 2 seasons...

20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Newcastle were buying players with a view to getting promoted, they saw Hanley as a player capable of that, I think we should be slightly happier signing a player of Hanleys calibre than the shottons of the world.

And then didn't play him? 

4 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Hopefully GR and the club look elsewhere like Kyle Bartley, Marc Roberts, Tamas Kalas etc. 

All three would be decent signings. Can't see Bartley coming after Clement's comments on his future though, mate. 

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

And then didn't play him? 

If you play a back 4 you can only play 2 centre backs.

Assuming the manager isn't stupid and signs more than two centre backs, not all of them can play.

Assuming also a manager goes with the philosophy that he won't change a winning side, Hanley may just have been unlucky due to the two centre backs being undroppable.

Rafa Benetiz seemed happy enough to sign him last year for a promotion push.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

All three would be decent signings. Can't see Bartley coming after Clement's comments on his future though, mate. 

OK but I can't see Bartley staying there though.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If you play a back 4 you can only play 2 centre backs.

Assuming the manager isn't stupid and signs more than two centre backs, not all of them can play.

Assuming also a manager goes with the philosophy that he won't change a winning side, Hanley may just have been unlucky due to the two centre backs being undroppable.

Rafa Benetiz seemed happy enough to sign him last year for a promotion push.

One of those CB's being the captain Lascelles.

Archived