Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
23 minutes ago, 86 points said:

We paid £3.57 million for Shackell so the price doesn't seem that crazy to me. Whether I'd actually want Hanley is another matter mind... Would have loved to have WIsdom back though.

2.75 million for shackell I believe. After he had another season in the prem.. Unlike Hanley who couldn't even get into a championship side last year. But at least Hanley is younger than shackell which might boost his value.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Except he's right footed.

he always looked a bit dumpy to me. No too fussed. Wouldn't pay over £3m. There must be better options.

Actually.......its a no from me.

I would take Hanley in a heartbeat.

For too many years now we have been caught out by having light weight defenders, who do not command the box as they should.

Yes, Keogh is probably a better 'footballer' but a no nonsense defender (Jake Buxton style ) is what we are missing.

I just don't see this signing improving us in any significant way, just like mr magoo from Burnley. The last thing we need is more squad level players and an even more bloated squad. If we buy they need to be much higher quality than we already have or don't bother 

There's absolutely no need for us to make this signing. Doesn't solve any of the issues with our CB's (ie one half of them being a slow clogger who can't pass). He is probably a bit better at being a slow clogger who can't pass than Pearce but if we're spending £4m on that then I'm not sure we've learned anything from recent seasons.

11 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The quality that got us to mid-table? Come on mate, this squad needs a shake up!

Very good point.

Keep seeing/reading that Hanley is crap because he didn't do too good at Newcastle.

If that's the case with football logic how in the blue hell did Lee Grant even make a save in the premier league let alone become Stokes player of the year when he couldn't make it into a mid table Derby side.

Already certain Derby fans are doubting what our new manager is believed to be doing.

And there's no way we can get away from the fact that the first team is still littered with players from Mr Clough's reign when mid table was a seen as a good season.

Keogh, Russell, Martin, Bryson, Hughes and Shackell.

With the greatest of respect to all these players, we have had zero success since they all came to the club and some of the signings added to them over the course of several seasons have made no difference.

Arguably some of the players signed have been of no benefit at all.

Let's just hold fire on who is a good signing or bad one until we actually sign someone and they get on the pride park pitch. 

Hanley could well be that single player who rises to the challenge and becomes a firm favourite.

Players of focus, determination and sheer will, smattered with a sprinkling of talent and we will be on the right track. 

No matter what though ladies and gents we all want the same and that's glory for our club.

Derby County forever.

27 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The quality that got us to mid-table? Come on mate, this squad needs a shake up!

Spot on, he is better than what we have got and is young enough to improve. 4 million is nothing nowadays. You just have to see Blackburn with and without him.

And those expecting passing around the back between the centre backs next season are in for a shock. Only reason Shackell and Pearce looked clumsy under Clement and McClaren respectively is because both wanted to play it out from the back whereas Rowett said he wants to get it to the forwards as quickly as possible.

The fact does remain that Blackburn did sell both their centre halfs one went to Newcastle and one went to Brighton both were promoted so they were far from average and of course Blackburn were relagated - if we sign Hanley then let's hope it works and we pay as little as possible! 

This signing could be just as much about changing the mentality and so called character flaws in the squad.

Even though the squad is filled with players who have skippered their previous sides, a lack of leadership is still something that generally gets mentioned.

If Hanley comes in then I can definitely see one of the other cbs handing in s transfer request. Probably Keogh, he's been a great servant to the club but maybe the signing of Hanley could force his hand. 

Pearce had a little run where I thought he was fantastic, sadly his form after that was woeful. Whenever I have seen Hanley play he's looked really solid and can pick a pass too. He is IMO much better that Pearce and isn't no where near as slow as Pearce 

Archived