Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be happy with Hanley in for 4 mill and if there was the slightest chance we could afford and get wisdom to come in too then we would start to look very very solid at the back with our share of defenders of the right age and the right ambition  with a bite of spite/ bite too , let Christie go and shackell with Pearce out too ,,, 

obviously a few more outs but I think we would be in pretty good shape to kick on with those two signings , 

Would be very happy with Hanley for 4 million, think there are too Many deluded fans our there that think there are hundreds of gems out there who will cost nothing to improve us, when in reality quality comes with monetary outlay generally speaking. Fact of the matter is 4 million ain't that much in today's market, especially for an international defender who's experienced and been successful at this level. He may not be a ball player, but like shackell that don't make him a donkey, as long as he's strong and positionally aware he'll fit in perfectly in rowetts more efficient team. It's a yes from me!

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be very happy with Hanley for 4 million, think there are too Many deluded fans our there that think there are hundreds of gems out there who will cost nothing to improve us, when in reality quality comes with monetary outlay generally speaking. Fact of the matter is 4 million ain't that much in today's market, especially for an international defender who's experienced and been successful at this level. He may not be a ball player, but like shackell that don't make him a donkey, as long as he's strong and positionally aware he'll fit in perfectly in rowetts more efficient team. It's a yes from me!

It's not deluded to believe there are many gems out there that can improve us, it's been proven so many times before hand, it's a much better policy than recycling the same old championship players that get increasingly bigger paydays for being distinctly average. What has Hanley done to make him worth 4 million? Sit on the bench for the entirety of last season almost.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not deluded to believe there are many gems out there that can improve us, it's been proven so many times before hand, it's a much better policy than recycling the same old championship players that get increasingly bigger paydays for being distinctly average. What has Hanley done to make him worth 4 million? Sit on the bench for the entirety of last season almost.

Really? Because from what I remember Newcastle went up last season with a team of proven players, and tho Brighton had a squad unproven before they arrived there, by the time last season came they too were all proven players. Middlesbrough, Burnley all had proven championship players, if you're serious about mounting a serious lasting challenge on the top of the table you're taking a massive risk by bringing in unproven players.

While of course it isn't impossible to do it through signing relative unknowns like Huddersfield did this year, it represents a much greater risk of whether they will be able to handle the transition and the pressure that comes with it. 9 times out of 10 a player is cheap for a reason, like anything in life. Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if we could uncover that one gem, but I wouldn't want to focus our window around it. Maybe 5 years ago when there wasn't so much pressure and we had time to bed them in, but we've been here for too long and need instant results.

As I said 4 million isn't a large fee really in this division anymore, Hanley was only on the bench because Newcastle bought every man and his dog, not because he's a poor player. Years of experience at this level as well as the level above make him a proven player and that's worth at least 4 million in today's market

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Really? Because from what I remember Newcastle went up last season with a team of proven players, and tho Brighton had a squad unproven before they arrived there, by the time last season came they too were all proven players. Middlesbrough, Burnley all had proven championship players, if you're serious about mounting a serious lasting challenge on the top of the table you're taking a massive risk by bringing in unproven players.

While of course it isn't impossible to do it through signing relative unknowns like Huddersfield did this year, it represents a much greater risk of whether they will be able to handle the transition and the pressure that comes with it. 9 times out of 10 a player is cheap for a reason, like anything in life. Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if we could uncover that one gem, but I wouldn't want to focus our window around it. Maybe 5 years ago when there wasn't so much pressure and we had time to bed them in, but we've been here for too long and need instant results.

As I said 4 million isn't a large fee really in this division anymore, Hanley was only on the bench because Newcastle bought every man and his dog, not because he's a poor player. Years of experience at this level as well as the level above make him a proven player and that's worth at least 4 million in today's market

The main point is though that Hanley is no better than what we already have so that £4 million would be better utilised elsewhere. 

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

The main point is though that Hanley is no better than what we already have so that £4 million would be better utilised elsewhere. 

Really?! If we can get another year out of shackell then maybe not, but he's worlds better than bloody Pearce 

37 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not really a fair question ,, what has Hanley done to make him worth 5.5 million the season before is more to the point , he was very much in demand and that's what it cost for them to land him 

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Newcastle had many premiership quality players that had remained, and signed Dwight Gayle who is easily a class above Championship, my point is, Hanley isn't proven. He played in a side battling relegation, and went to Newcastle and did nothing. If that makes him worth 4 million I hate where football is going. Hanley has 31 appearances in the Premier League, most of them came the season they were relegated. I don't think we can claim he's experienced at the level above. The fact is signing 'proven players' like Butterfield, Blackman etc, it hasn't got us very far has it? It's got us a squad of overpaid flops, we need to sign some different players from other leagues to save money.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Really?! If we can get another year out of shackell then maybe not, but he's worlds better than bloody Pearce 

Yep really. I live in Blackburn and pretty much most of their fans,that I know, weren't too upset to see him go to Newcastle. Like I've stated previously, I doubt he'd improve is enough to justify the outlay. Spend that money elsewhere I say.

1 minute ago, archied said:

Not really a fair question ,, what has Hanley done to make him worth 5.5 million the season before is more to the point , he was very much in demand and that's what it cost for them to land him 

Yes, but from what it sounds like, no other club is interested in him this year at 4 million, I wonder why that is? Probably because they don't perceive him to be value for money at that price, since 4 million for a run of the mill championship defender is outrageous. 

6 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Yep really. I live in Blackburn and pretty much most of their fans,that I know, weren't too upset to see him go to Newcastle. Like I've stated previously, I doubt he'd improve is enough to justify the outlay. Spend that money elsewhere I say.

Spend that money on Bartley and Kalas (loan fees) ?I'd also say Roberts as well but see somewhere that would cost £5m for him too. We'll need to be careful with it.

2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Spend that money on Bartley and Kalas (loan fees) ?I'd also say Roberts as well but see somewhere that would cost £5m for him too. We'll need to be careful with it.

I think they're all good players but also in demand and as such likely to go to Premiership football.

We might be after Hanley because he's the only realistic target right now.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Newcastle had many premiership quality players that had remained, and signed Dwight Gayle who is easily a class above Championship, my point is, Hanley isn't proven. He played in a side battling relegation, and went to Newcastle and did nothing. If that makes him worth 4 million I hate where football is going. Hanley has 31 appearances in the Premier League, most of them came the season they were relegated. I don't think we can claim he's experienced at the level above. The fact is signing 'proven players' like Butterfield, Blackman etc, it hasn't got us very far has it? It's got us a squad of overpaid flops, we need to sign some different players from other leagues to save money.

Over 150 appearances isn't proven?! Even considering he's only 25? Blackburn weren't always battling relegation while he was in the team, for many years they were fairly stable it's only when their owners ****** them over recently selling everyone that they fell apart. Also couldn't you say that the fact they were relegated after selling Hanley shows him to have been an important part of their team in the years running up to that? Clearly not every proven player will be a success, but we shouldn't let our poor transfer record put us off, not every player will end up like a Blackman, some will end up like an ince! As with everything, scouting is the key, and hopefully that will have improved under rowett

14 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Well they we're relegated after that window so maybe they underestimated things a bit!:lol: Not saying he's the only player we could bring in, just that he's done well at this level before and we need someone to be first choice in that position- and that will realistically cost the figures quoted

Archived