Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Over 150 appearances isn't proven?! Even considering he's only 25? Blackburn weren't always battling relegation while he was in the team, for many years they were fairly stable it's only when their owners ****** them over recently selling everyone that they fell apart. Also couldn't you say that the fact they were relegated after selling Hanley shows him to have been an important part of their team in the years running up to that? Clearly not every proven player will be a success, but we shouldn't let our poor transfer record put us off, not every player will end up like a Blackman, some will end up like an ince! As with everything, scouting is the key, and hopefully that will have improved under rowett

Not proven as quality for the championship, just because he's played a lot doesn't mean he's proven as quality to get out of the Championship. They pretty much were, Blackburn have been fighting relegation ever since they got relegated from the Premier League.

No, that doesn't prove that at all. They've been getting closer and closer each year, with Hanley, and it was an inevitability with or without him that it was coming.

The fact is, if Derby pay 4 million for this guy we've paid well over the odds for somebody who has never got promoted out of this division while he has been playing week in week out and has spent most of his time in the Championship lingering at the bottom end.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well they we're relegated after that window so maybe they underestimated things a bit!:lol: Not saying he's the only player we could bring in, just that he's done well at this level before and we need someone to be first choice in that position- and that will realistically cost the figures quoted

Their relegation wasn't solely down to Hanleys sale. Their team has been stripped bare over the last couple of seasons and only £250,000 invested in it last season. They actually had a strikeforce in Rhodes and Gestede that scored 40 goals one season and didn't even make the play offs. That paints a different picture to Hanleys defensive capabilities if you get my drift. I'm not against us strengthening our back four. I just don't think he's the man to do it.

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not proven as quality for the championship, just because he's played a lot doesn't mean he's proven as quality to get out of the Championship. They pretty much were, Blackburn have been fighting relegation ever since they got relegated from the Premier League.

No, that doesn't prove that at all. They've been getting closer and closer each year, with Hanley, and it was an inevitability with or without him that it was coming.

The fact is, if Derby pay 4 million for this guy we've paid well over the odds for somebody who has never got promoted out of this division while he has been playing week in week out and has spent most of his time in the Championship lingering at the bottom end.

Which is a worry when we're being heavily linked with another centre back who has been at the heart of a defence for a side who have just been relegated.

However we might need to hold onto our nerve here.

I recall a time when Bucko signed and it was all

"Cloughie with his non league players"

However now he's gone  he's being heralded, but relegated.

Ultimately we need to get our back line reorganised and if that means change then we have to back our manager to make the right purchases.

The only problem is now to bring in recognised good players we're gonna be paying.

Either that or its a leap of faith on untried players who the management believe can make the jump up in class.

Of all the recent summers this is by far the most interesting.

Will be one of two things.....disappointing or an air of optimism will blow over our stadium. 

Derby County forever.

(P.s booed a bagde kissing forest fan today and felt enlightened!) 

Always remember hating Hanley when he lined up against us as he was always a nasty f***er that seemed to want to do anything he could to try and get the upper hand. Horrible when they come up against you, but no so bad when they're in your side! Heard Rowett using the term 'complimenting' when talking about the players we are going to look to bring in. We have too many 'nice guys'. Hanley compliments us perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

So an 8th and a 9th place finish is battling relegation, bloody a wonder we survived this season and 14/15 then! He may not have played much, but a promotion chasing team decided to buy him and he was a part of that team. A champions league winning manager in Benitez decided he was good enough to play a role in his promotion chasing team, yet some of our fans don't?

It may not have been the sole cause, but it didn't help. Blackburns defence had been the main thing keeping them up, in the season before last when the narrowly survived they only scored 46 goals, but their 46 goal against tally, which may I add is less than we conceded this season chasing promotion, is what kept them up. Hanley was a key part of that defence. Compared to this season when they sold him, they scored a similar amount of goals but shipped 65, the major factor behind their relegation, following the sale of Hanley.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way. Clearly Hanley is a donkey because he doesn't come from the Netherlands for 500k. You want a decent centre half at this level, you ain't getting much with any certainty for less than 4 mil

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Their relegation wasn't solely down to Hanleys sale. Their team has been stripped bare over the last couple of seasons and only £250,000 invested in it last season. They actually had a strikeforce in Rhodes and Gestede that scored 40 goals one season and didn't even make the play offs. That paints a different picture to Hanleys defensive capabilities if you get my drift. I'm not against us strengthening our back four. I just don't think he's the man to do it.

Yeah I'm not disputing that fact, clearly Rhodes and gestedes sales were key parts in the spiral down for the club, but so could have been Hanley. If you look at the stats I've given above, it was Hanley and the rest of their defence that kept them up the season before last, they conceded a goal tally which is probably good enough to secure top six that season despite nearly going down.

As I say I haven't really seen much of him but he's always looked more than competent against us and he's a good age so appears a good buy to me. I know stats don't show everything, but im very much a stats man, it's what I'm set to study at uni, and those I've found, admittedly without further research, paint his impact in a good light

Would anyone have a go at getting John Terry in?

Kind of talisman who is a leader, still fit and strong and still wants to play.

Admittedly would be huge wages and something of a risk but could he be a Dave Mackay type of inspirational signing.

What's the betting someone is gonna say....

"fxxxxxg crap. Never rated him." 

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I'm not disputing that fact, clearly Rhodes and gestedes sales were key parts in the spiral down for the club, but so could have been Hanley. If you look at the stats I've given above, it was Hanley and the rest of their defence that kept them up the season before last, they conceded a goal tally which is probably good enough to secure top six that season despite nearly going down.

As I say I haven't really seen much of him but he's always looked more than competent against us and he's a good age so appears a good buy to me. I know stats don't show everything, but im very much a stats man, it's what I'm set to study at uni, and those I've found, admittedly without further research, paint his impact in a good light

Agreed, Hanleys sale impacted on their demise but wasn't the main factor in them doing so. Personally I'd prefer his partner at centre half, Shane Duffy,  who was also sold to Brighton. Just have to agree to disagree. You rate him but I don't think he'd significantly improve us. The answer is out there somewhere. Just not Hanley for me.

11 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

Admittedly would be huge wages and something of a risk but could he be a Dave Mackay type of inspirational signing.

No thanks, got more mistakes in him than Keogh!!! Lol

31 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So an 8th and a 9th place finish is battling relegation, bloody a wonder we survived this season and 14/15 then! He may not have played much, but a promotion chasing team decided to buy him and he was a part of that team. A champions league winning manager in Benitez decided he was good enough to play a role in his promotion chasing team, yet some of our fans don't?

It may not have been the sole cause, but it didn't help. Blackburns defence had been the main thing keeping them up, in the season before last when the narrowly survived they only scored 46 goals, but their 46 goal against tally, which may I add is less than we conceded this season chasing promotion, is what kept them up. Hanley was a key part of that defence. Compared to this season when they sold him, they scored a similar amount of goals but shipped 65, the major factor behind their relegation, following the sale of Hanley.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way. Clearly Hanley is a donkey because he doesn't come from the Netherlands for 500k. You want a decent centre half at this level, you ain't getting much with any certainty for less than 4 mil

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

As I say I haven't really seen much of him but he's always looked more than competent against us and he's a good age so appears a good buy to me.

You've not seen much of him, but you decide he looks a good buy for 4 million based off of 2 games a year? Solid logic that, can't fault it. 

So, two seasons means he didn't spend much of his time battling relegation? Since, they finished 15th in 15/16, and 17th in 2012 (4 points off relegation that year).

How do you know Hanley was a key part of it, when by your own admission you haven't watched him apart from two games a season, which isn't enough to make a judgement. You can buy players that are good enough for the Premier League with less than 4 million, let alone the championship, just because some clubs including Derby have made a habit of paying over the odds doesn't mean the players are out there.

But naturally, N'Golo Kante was crap cos he was cheap, let's not let that get in the way of the facts that he's won the Premier League.

Hanley is a donkey cos he's a naff clogger, not because he's a championship player.

I don't know enough about him to comment ability wise, but if, and it's a big if, we've bid £4m and no ones matched it, it would suggest we're overvaluing him a bit.

Offer them 500k, and see if anyone else comes in.

41 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

Good player, just don't let any team mate introduce him to their missus.

1 hour ago, AmberRamber said:

Can only play for 23 minutes, so it's a no from me.

Archived