Your non Derby County footballing heroes

Sexydadbod

It's getting to the time where all the old school footballers in the 2000s are beginning to retire. Just this year the likes of Totti, Lahm, Alonso, Lampard and Gerrard are set to retire or have retired.

No surprise that my footballing heroes revolve around those who mostly played in Serie A back in the old days on Channel 4 with James Richardson. They include: Baggio, Dida,  Del Piero, Ronaldo(original), Seedorf, Raul, Scholes, Michael Owen, Zidane, Edgar Davids, Maldini, Costacurta and Guti. The key being that they all played in different positions. Nowadays people only seem to like attacking players unfortunately, although the standard of defending has gone down a lot. Who were your footballing heroes when you were growing up?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Gazza in his heyday was superb, even into the late 90's probably finished his england career to soon. Always regret not seeing him play live.

yeah Gazza for me too , what a talent , others , while not quite heroes , but i loved watching on match of the day would be Cyrille Regis , Kenny Dalglish and Liam Brady an underrated brilliant footballer , i remember a goal he scored for West Ham at the BBG absolute wonder strike

Obviously its an age thing....its who you saw as a kid.

For me, its the two Bobby's........ Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were pretty much universally loved amongst all football fans even when they played against your team. 

George Best. In the same bracket as Messi, Maradona and Ronaldo for sheer skill.

Best was brave as well Utch, used to get kicked from pillar to post and kept going back for more, great player, never got much change out of Ron Webster mind. ;)

I used to enjoy watching Cantona, what a signing he was for Fergie.

Igor, Wanchope, Baiano, Eranio, Deano, Poom, Michael Owen, Beckham, Mcmanaman, Anderton, Paul Ince, David Seamen, Alan Shearer, Sheringham, ermmm, think I got too old after that lot.

Football seemed to be the greatest thing back then, the anticipation of match day regardless of who you were playing be it Crystal Palace, Bolton Wanderers or Arsenal and Manchester United. Great days. All on the back of the 1996 Euro championships. 

P.s, got carried away reminiscing sonincluded Derby players. Sorry.

Archived