Your non Derby County footballing heroes

Sexydadbod

I always find it a little odd how players with no connection to your club or country can be heros. 

A lot of players listed I loved to watch, Bergkamp was unbelieve at times but hero?

None of his goals despite being absolute World Class got me out my seat and feeling the same way as Owen did v Argentina. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, David said:

I always find it a little odd how players with no connection to your club or country can be heros. 

A lot of players listed I loved to watch, Bergkamp was unbelieve at times but hero?

None of his goals despite being absolute World Class got me out my seat and feeling the same way as Owen did v Argentina. 

Must be an age thing

Or maybe from being a Football fan over a Rams/England fan - not sure 

My héros were Gordon Banks, Pele, Bobby Moore, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Jairzinho, Cruyff, Gerd Muller

They were who we pretended to be when playing in the streets,  in the good old days 

Just now, BobbyD said:

Must be an age thing

My héros were Gordon Banks, Pele, Bobby Moore, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Jairzinho, Cruyff, Gerd Muller

They were who we pretended to be when playing in the streets,  in the good old days 

Was thinking it could be an age thing which is now going full circle with video games and Sky Sports allowing more European football on tv 

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Must be an age thing

.........and Hector.

21 hours ago, David said:

I took it as players I loved to watch, not heroes as such.

Gylfi Sigurðsson and i will always think kindly of Reading for how well they prepared him

Can't see him staying at Swansea much longer, i hear Everton are preparing an offer.  The Tottenham hierarchy must still be kicking themselves for giving him limited game time and then letting him go

On 5/8/2017 at 21:25, archram said:

I go so far back Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright were my first heroes! And a chap called Jackie Lee who played for both Leicester and Derby and got an England cap. He came from my village and I actually saw him walking round like a normal human being!

Well it looks as though I'm joint oldest Ram on here (so far!!).  I remember the above and think I saw Stanley Matthews playing for Stoke in the early 60's when he was nearly 50. 

For me though my only true 'hero' that I can recall from my boyhood was Duncan Edwards.

Only 21 when he died following the Munich Air Disaster in Feb 1958. To me I can recall him being a true 'man mountain', a real live Roy of the Rovers. He could play any position but mainly in midfield and he scored some great goals. He survived 13 days following the crash and I can remember listening to the crackly 'wireless' (radio) for news on his condition. All very sad.

I can't recall supporting Man Ure though and I certainly never have since.

My dear Dad took me to my first DCFC match in 1959, a cup game against Preston, 2 - 2 with Tom Finney playing for PNE and 2 inches of snow on the pitch and terraces. It was amazing and as they say the rest is history.

Archived