Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

A 46 game season for a 35 year old, going on 36 is a big ask.

I would imagine Baird would act as backup for Wisdom if he joins.

Sure, I agree.

It's just this thread implies that having a solid dependable right back might be the difference which gets us to the promised land.

Let's get midfield sorted first.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Sure, I agree.

It's just this thread implies that having a solid dependable right back might be the difference which gets us to the promised land.

So we don't sort the defence out because the midfield isn't sorted yet? :blink:

To be honest, if I were Rowett, I wouldn't give up on Christie. He is obviously a confidence player and needs a manager to back him. There is some potential there to be unlocked and he himself understands that he might have to adjust his game.

With Wisdom, he would be a good option to have, because of his versatility but I don't think he is a priority. Would he be an automatic first choice at centre back? No. Would he be an automatic first choice at right back? Again, probably not. It's Baird's shirt to lose at this point.

I think there is an element of rose-tinted glasses going on with Wisdom because he was part of that side. It wouldn't be a bad signing by any stretch of the imagination, but personally I would save £2 million and try to get the best out of Christie.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Sure, I agree.

I don't go with this "sort out the defence", "get the midfield sorted" or "we need a new striker and a left wing". The important issue is to recruit 2, maybe 3 players who are capable of being integrated into the best of the existing squad and noticeably improve the links between the various parts of the team.

We have 12 - 15 squad members who, individually, are more than good enough for the Championship but for most of the last 3 seasons we have failed to make best use of their skills. Hopefully we have a manager who is less myopic than the last 3 or 4 incumbents and can do what's needed to make a sustained challenge for promotion.

Yes we have a number of players in the current squad who are unlikely to feature in Rowetts' teams often enough to justify their retention. They will be moved out though it might take longer than many expect - for various reasons signings don't always work out as you hope. Whoever they might be and irrespective of whether your opinion is that they should stay or go, they've represented our club and some of the vitriolic comments say more about the posters than it does about the players they are so critical of.

Archived