Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Whenever some one coming into the club too many people get their rose tinted specs on. Give erm 45 mins of p!ay and many of the same people will be slating the same player. How many times has pierce,Baird,Keogh,Anya,Vydra been slated only too be redeemed a few games later.

Wisdom if he comes will be coming here becouse others dont want him ,so he aint going to be the best of the best,good enough for this league probably,good enough to improve the team probably,but just remember he aint going to fix all our problems and its been 3 years since he was last here. A long time in football. yes i think he would be a good addition, and wonder how long it takes should he sign before he starts getting negative posts.

That's very negative really Ram64. If he comes it's because Derby County want him; we have already seen him for a season and many think he is very much worth what Liverpool are asking. Why?

1. Although his "creative" ability is more limited than Cyrus Christie's, his defending is far superior. His main asset is his strength (upper body strength especially - remember how he seemed to be able to shield the ball from opponents by simply leaning in to them - when asked what he would've been had he not been a footballer, he replied "wrestler" without any added irony intended) allied to his mobility. He just seemed able to "snuff" opponents out. He's still young and quite raw, and can play at RFB or Centre-half (his preferred position). 

2.I'm very surprised that a Prem side hasn't spotted his huge potential. Some seem to be casting doubts on him because he hasn't been nurtured by L'pool who initially seemed to have plans for him long-term. West Brom and Norwich both had him and so again I am surprised that he wasn't cemented to one of them. However, that's football....plenty of gems regularly slip through the net. Salzburg are dead keen to keep him but seems he wants to stay in England. 

I suspect that he'd be very happy to come back to Derby; I suspect GR will be able to draw him in with his very infectious enthusiasm and proclivity to paint a great picture of his vision for the Club. My only doubt...and it is a mere soupcon...is AW's preference for CH rather than RFB.

But hey:

1. Pride Park Stadium with 30,000 fans

2. Moore Farm...just go there if you haven't been. The training pitches are better than most club's home playing surface and the facilities are top drawer

3. Gary Rowett

4. A squad that is brimming over with talent

5. An opportunity to really blossom into the footballer that he is capable of becoming and making other Clubs eat their words and ...

5. An opportunity to join a well run Club with great prospects.

If we get him, it will because we have beaten at least 3 other Clubs to it...

One of those clubs being a Champions League side with an ex Liverpool Manager and double our capacity!

I do wonder if he's as effective as he once was at right back with us, its important to remember that was over 3 years ago when he was lighter and quicker, seems he's more grown into the centreback position now (he's only played rightback 3 times as opposed to 19 at centre half for Salzburg) either way he's an improvement on what we have!

My main memory of Wisdom was that he was our insurance policy.

You could leave him back for corners or allow the likes of Forsyth and Keogh to push forward knowing that any counter attacks would be snuffed out, as his pace and positioning allowed him to cover the pitch and then his power gave him the ability to muscle players off the ball on a one-on-one.

At this level, he has everything to be outstanding.

4 minutes ago, Painter10 said:

Surely if he was that good a bottom six prem club would be having him for 2M 

Two clubs in West Brom and Norwich did give him a go.  The issue is that physical attributes don't necessarily get you as far in the top flight.

Which is why I said "at this level".  I would suggest that the likes on Huddersfield or Brighton could do a lot worse, but they may look at his track record in the Prem and gamble on a different horse.

4 hours ago, cannable said:

I must admit that I'm getting Pearson vibes about Rowett.

Although in his defence he's spoken about how the need for balance, needing different types of players and is at least active early in the quest to build a side in his mould. So he's already ahead of Pearson and Clement. 

And so my prediction is a top six finish but **** football. 

He certainly is ahead of Pearson and Clement at least the players seem to like Rowett which Pearson was unable to do and under Clement we just seemed buy players with highly inflated transfer fees for average players who didn't fit in mainly.

7 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Two clubs in West Brom and Norwich did give him a go.  The issue is that physical attributes don't necessarily get you as far in the top flight.

Which is why I said "at this level".  I would suggest that the likes on Huddersfield or Brighton could do a lot worse, but they may look at his track record in the Prem and gamble on a different horse.

Yes true, well rowett could surprise us and play wisdom as a right Cb in a 3 and anya RwB 

We need to get this done asap before teams like M'Boro + Leeds come in for him...won't be long until Monk assesses the Boro squad and Leeds appoint a manager, could see both of them being interested in Wisdom at the rumoured price.

Time will tell, wisdom did well for us three years ago, since then he has gone to WBA and Norwich but played very little before going on a football holiday to Austria's top club last season and Liverpool don't want him, if we remember taking players on what they did three seasons ago is a little bit past tense which is why the price is what it is but for £2 million it would seem like a good investment to me.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Time will tell, wisdom did well for us three years ago, since then he has gone to WBA and Norwich but played very little before going on a football holiday to Austria's top club last season and Liverpool don't want him, if we remember taking players on what they did three seasons ago is a little bit past tense which is why the price is what it is but for £2 million it would seem like a good investment to me.

Any reason why such a bargain of the century wasn't playing much, nor kept on at those two clubs? Better than Christie or just different?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Any reason why such a bargain of the century wasn't playing much, nor kept on at those two clubs? Better than Christie or just different?

Better if Rowett wants to play a back 4 to provide more solidity to the defence. If he was to favour a back 5 then the wing backs need to, more often than not, deliver decent crosses into the box and Christie doesn't do it often enough.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Better if Rowett wants to play a back 4 to provide more solidity to the defence. If he was to favour a back 5 then the wing backs need to, more often than not, deliver decent crosses into the box and Christie doesn't do it often enough.

I'd like to see a bit more of Wisdom because I don't have anywhere near as good memories of him as everyone else seems to

Yes he was solid, strong and a decent tackler - He'd give us more defensive solidity than Christie (I think)

BUT he was also a bit too self-confident - Always struck me that he thought he was better than playing in the championship - Far too often he got caught on the ball, or rushed into a bad pass because he was too casual - And then looked surprised that someone playing championship football had the ability to actually take the ball from him

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

The bit I don't quite understand is that if a solid defender is our main aim for a right back, what's wrong with Baird?

I think we might want Wisdom for Keogh.

A 46 game season for a 35 year old, going on 36 is a big ask.

I would imagine Baird would act as backup for Wisdom if he joins.

Archived