Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

41 minutes ago, Painter10 said:

Is wisdom even that good.. ? 

Best right back we've had since Rowett himself imo, absolutely rock solid in defence. Can't remember many times thinking wisdoms out of position here, or that he's gotten beaten too easily, which is a regular occurance under Christie. Wisdom arguably doesn't have the passing ability of Baird, but sadly given bairds age we can't rely on him all season, however he's clearly still got much better decision making than Cyrus. 

If we can swap Christie and wisdom for no net outlay as these reports are suggesting, that's possibly an even better deal than Davies was

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Best right back we've had since Rowett himself imo, absolutely rock solid in defence. Can't remember many times thinking wisdoms out of position here, or that he's gotten beaten too easily...

Really? I'm sure there's lots of rose-tinted spex going on here. I seriously don't think he was that good - but it seems everyone else does.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? I'm sure there's lots of rose-tinted spex going on here. I seriously don't think he was that good - but it seems everyone else does.

It's been 4 years so can't say I recall every aspect of his play, but I can certainly remember thinking every game "**** me, that wisdoms a blood beast!" All going on my own memory tbf, can't say I've been in a rush to watch red bull Salzburg:lol: I trust my own thoughts at the time, I seem to recall it a lot like others do. Either way up, whether you think he's as good as everyone's saying, you must think he's a better option than Christie at seemingly the same price?

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I seem to remember the west stand groaning quite a lot with his negative back passes. He was a decent defender though and I'd choose him over Christie for a similar fee

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Either way up, whether you think he's as good as everyone's saying, you must think he's a better option than Christie at seemingly the same price?

He won't be the same price.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I seem to remember the west stand groaning quite a lot with his negative back passes. He was a decent defender though and I'd choose him over Christie for a similar fee

Can't think he'll be a similar fee.

So if he's really as good as everyone thinks they remember why isn't he being touted (or already sold) at a higher price?!

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is he up against though? Christie, Baird, Edworthy, Kenna, Jackson, Nicky Hunt, Stoor, Freeman, Adam Smith, Borbokis, Daino, Connolly, Warren Barton, Pablo Mills, Mears, Griffin, and Brayford. Some very poor players there.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Best right back we've had since Rowett himself imo, absolutely rock solid in defence. Can't remember many times thinking wisdoms out of position here, or that he's gotten beaten too easily, which is a regular occurance under Christie. Wisdom arguably doesn't have the passing ability of Baird, but sadly given bairds age we can't rely on him all season, however he's clearly still got much better decision making than Cyrus. 

If we can swap Christie and wisdom for no net outlay as these reports are suggesting, that's possibly an even better deal than Davies was

I think I must have misjudged your age but I didn't think you'd be old enough to remember Gary Rowett?

Whenever some one coming into the club too many people get their rose tinted specs on. Give erm 45 mins of p!ay and many of the same people will be slating the same player. How many times has pierce,Baird,Keogh,Anya,Vydra been slated only too be redeemed a few games later.

Wisdom if he comes will be coming here becouse others dont want him ,so he aint going to be the best of the best,good enough for this league probably,good enough to improve the team probably,but just remember he aint going to fix all our problems and its been 3 years since he was last here. A long time in football. yes i think he would be a good addition, and wonder how long it takes should he sign before he starts getting negative posts.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He won't be the same price.

Can't think he'll be a similar fee.

So if he's really as good as everyone thinks they remember why isn't he being touted (or already sold) at a higher price?!

Haven't a clue and I was agreeing with you btw! 

It does depend on the contract though, buy back clauses, add on etc could make it a similar fee and Christie is in the Ireland team and scored the other day so he's certainly more in the spotlight than wisdom is, a bit like hendrick was although Hughes is considered the better footballer. All down to who wants him, what they can pay upfront etc

i would still take wisdom over Christie though even if it did cost us an extra mil upfront and another mil on top for promotion as we are more likely to have to pay that mil with him than Christie in the team.

is there better right backs out there? Undoubtedly but how much would they cost? Probably more than £2 mil with add ons 

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

is there better right backs out there? Undoubtedly but how much would they cost? Probably more than £2 mil with add ons 

Just not convinced if Wisdom is that good we'll get him for £2m. I can believe Christie would sell for £2m though as we're Championship and Liverpool are Prem.

8 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I think I must have misjudged your age but I didn't think you'd be old enough to remember Gary Rowett?

Nah I don't mate, but I'm from a footballing family and I've certainly heard from others I trust that Rowett was a damn decent player, but that ain't really the point. Wisdoms the best I've seen, not had a great deal of competition mind but I'd say he was one of the key players in our playoff season and that's enough for me

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Nah I don't mate, but I'm from a footballing family and I've certainly heard from others I trust that Rowett was a damn decent player, but that ain't really the point. Wisdoms the best I've seen, not had a great deal of competition mind but I'd say he was one of the key players in our playoff season and that's enough for me

Yeah I agree. And I think if Keogh stays then we could have a decent, mobile back three if Rowett ever fancied going to the in vogue formation. Rowett was good in a back 3 too iirc.

Just now, ram1964 said:

Whenever some one coming into the club too many people get their rose tinted specs on. Give erm 45 mins of p!ay and many of the same people will be slating the same player. How many times has pierce,Baird,Keogh,Anya,Vydra been slated only too be redeemed a few games later.

Wisdom if he comes will be coming here becouse others dont want him ,so he aint going to be the best of the best,good enough for this league probably,good enough to improve the team probably,but just remember he aint going to fix all our problems and its been 3 years since he was last here. A long time in football. yes i think he would be a good addition, and wonder how long it takes should he sign before he starts getting negative posts.

The negative posts will be just behind the chorus of boos 25 min into his debut following a fluffed header, 2 scuffed back passes and an air shot :lol:

If I was Liverpool, I would be fairly bemused about a £1m bid for Wisdom. I bet there's more than a couple right backs in League One/Two that would fetch a similar value.

Also, the Telegraph article is slightly worrying. I like Rowett, but he'd be off his tits to sell our best defender, midfielder & winger in one window. Keogh, Ince & Hughes are three players in a select few that we should not be actively looking to sell. I know Morris has come out and said he was never comfortable with the Martin transfer, like most of us, but the sale of those three in particular would eclipse that 10-fold.

From memory, Wisdom wasn't a great attacker but his defending was A1. He made the defence solid & allowed Forsyth to maraud at will down the left. I think it was his physical strength that was his main attribute which was ideal for the Championship but probably not enough on its own in the Premier.

29 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

From memory, Wisdom wasn't a great attacker but his defending was A1. He made the defence solid & allowed Forsyth to maraud at will down the left. I think it was his physical strength that was his main attribute which was ideal for the Championship but probably not enough on its own in the Premier.

He just never got beat. As a 1 on 1 defender he's the best we've had in a long time. So strong! 

34 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

He just never got beat. As a 1 on 1 defender he's the best we've had in a long time. So strong! 

Fozzy's a pretty decent  one on one defender as well. Can count the number of times he's been had for toast on one hand.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Also, the Telegraph article is slightly worrying. I like Rowett, but he'd be off his tits to sell our best defender, midfielder & winger in one window. Keogh, Ince & Hughes are three players in a select few that we should not be actively looking to sell. I know Morris has come out and said he was never comfortable with the Martin transfer, like most of us, but the sale of those three in particular would eclipse that 10-fold.

I must admit that I'm getting Pearson vibes about Rowett.

Although in his defence he's spoken about how the need for balance, needing different types of players and is at least active early in the quest to build a side in his mould. So he's already ahead of Pearson and Clement. 

And so my prediction is a top six finish but **** football. 

Archived