Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, YouRams said:

If we find a foolish club to pay around half of the Wisdom fee for Christie we'd be laughing imo.

I think we underrate Christie to be fair, he'd be a gem for a team who play proper wingbacks, he just doesn't fit into a team where the back 4 have to be solid 

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

I think we underrate Christie to be fair, he'd be a gem for a team who play proper wingbacks, he just doesn't fit into a team where the back 4 have to be solid 

If he could cross a ball I'd agree with you. He had an unbelievable spell but always looks shot of confidence now, does the hard bit right then panics when it comes to beating the last man or putting a cross in. Maybe GR will move away from attacking fullbacks and sure us up defensively, we've seen it works with Ince and Baird on the same wing.

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

The complete lack of understanding between him and Ince is what's killing him. They both want to occupy the same space and both want to be in possession running at the fullback. Christie would look much better if he was playing behind someone like Coutts who would be prepared to pull defenders out of Cyrus' way, show for quick 1-2s, and cover defensively.

46 minutes ago, YouRams said:

If he could cross a ball I'd agree with you. He had an unbelievable spell but always looks shot of confidence now, does the hard bit right then panics when it comes to beating the last man or putting a cross in. Maybe GR will move away from attacking fullbacks and sure us up defensively, we've seen it works with Ince and Baird on the same wing.

I can't remember other defender, who is so much what I call "confidence player". When he scored for national team, he became world beater for us too. Now he is like poacher without goals, low on confidence.

12 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Am I the only thinking £4m is a bit steep for a player that apart from with us hasn't actually played regularly anywhere?

I see your point, but considering his massive potential and his age (23), I would say that fee is probably about right. Especially if a 30-year-old Shackell cost £3m

13 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I can't remember other defender, who is so much what I call "confidence player". When he scored for national team, he became world beater for us too. Now he is like poacher without goals, low on confidence.

Agreed, and "confidence players" are not what you want in your back four.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Can't we actually move on and let this player get on with his career? He decided to not come back for a reason. 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Bye Bye Cyrus if that's the case

Or maybe not because Wisdom preferred CB instead RB. 

20 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Its annoying because there is clearly a good player in there somewhere. Maybe GR will keep him and get him playing again. Johnny Russell is looking a better player already imo other than his finishing that needs improving over the summer.

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I see your point, but considering his massive potential and his age (23), I would say that fee is probably about right. Especially if a 30-year-old Shackell cost £3m

24 next week, just hope Derby don't forget to wish him happy birthday 

Also, I told you so :ph34r:

On 07/04/2017 at 12:58, Leicester Ram said:

We could nab Wisdom on the cheap. A lot of people will ridicule it, 'people need to stop trying to rebuild the 13/14 team, move on, bunch of bottlers' etc. But what I'd like about that is that he's now a the stage where he is undervalued by a lot of other clubs.

If you're talking about bang for your buck, Wisdom's a top shout.

He's still young, he suits what we want (a physical, defensive RB to play behind Ince), has a point to prove which gives him that hunger Rowett is looking for and he has an attachment to the club/fan base already. But his stocks low coming off the back of three seasons on loan not settling at a club!

Just logistically, if there's a Championship club he's likely to want to sign for, it's us. He has more value and possible upside for us than any other team in the division.

He reminds me of Ince as to where he is in his career right now. Ince had shown a lot of talent coming out of his years at Blackpool/Liverpool, but didn't find the right fit for him at Palace, Hull or Forest. Came to Derby when his stock was down, suited the system and now we have a player worth a lot more than what we got him for.

The same goes for Chris Martin, no matter your opinion of him. Showed early promise at Norwich, then wasn't ready to make the PL step up. Had a bad time at Swindon and Palace on loan, then came to Derby where he fit the system. Now he's worth near 10 million. We brought him in for FREE when his stock was low.

We should be buying players who we can improve. It's easy to buy Nick Blackman, Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield coming off really good seasons/form, but how many of those have lived up to expectations? Have we got our money's worth with Blackman? We definitely won't be getting our money back when he leaves.

To rule out Wisdom on the principal that you should 'never go back' is completely irrational, when you assess him just as a player, he's exactly the type we've had success with. Just because his early success was here at Derby instead of Blackpool or Norwich doesn't mean he's not a good transfer target now.

Archived