Mel interview

Day

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely looking again he expects top 6.

For me..its missing something along lines of 'ideally we will be top 6 but it's about getting some stability,  having a clear focus and identity, not needing to get there yesterday...we know the fans and everyone involved want sustained steady progress not knee-jerk reactions'.

22 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Definitely looking again he expects top 6.

For me..its missing something along lines of 'ideally we will be top 6 but it's about getting some stability,  having a clear focus and identity, not needing to get there yesterday...we know the fans and everyone involved want sustained steady progress not knee-jerk reactions'.

He might mean that, but knows the fans mostly want to hear 'blah, blah, blah...top 6'!

Without wishing to get boring here .. 

There was no given that Newcastle were gonna go straight back up .. 

They threw money at it .. 

and it paid off 

DCFC have thrown money at it ... and WE ARE A JOKE 

I repeat 

WHO IS GONNA BE SACKED ? 

2 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

and it paid off 

I repeat 

WHO IS GONNA BE SACKED ? 

That's boring

3 hours ago, David said:

“One of the things that I have tasked some of the Academy coaches and guys working on the Own the Region project to do is to go to Iceland. Why Iceland? Well, Iceland has almost the same population as Derbyshire, yet they have to produce a national side from that catchment. 

“As we saw last summer, they punched very much above their weight so it can’t just be that they happened to produce a number of fantastic footballers, so there has to be something in their set-up that works for them. 

Okay, i've long been a fan of Mel but now i just luv and admire him.  What a guy

Am sure the coaches will readily get all the info they seek from clubs and the Icelandic FA when visiting this summer

The Own The Region Project:

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-announce-own-the-region-project-2901963.aspx

Need to get me one of these

i-love-mel-mug-name-identity-alias-boyfr

33 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

and it paid off 

I repeat 

WHO IS GONNA BE SACKED ? 

Clement, Pearson, McClaren, Evans, Powell, John Peacock, Rob Mckenzie.

Do you want any more sackings?

These are the words I expect to hear from a owner after a season which has failed to deliver what was expected. I don't have much of a history with football other than following Derby since I was 14 (just happened to be 1975!) but I have been involved in Rugby League here in Australia coaching/management up to the second highest level, so I am stunned that at Championship level a side has not implemented a system like GR has requested. How can a team play to a system if individual players aren't given analysis on the players they are marking? Might explain what has been happening with corner set pieces. 

the iceland team age range is 22-37 is the equivalent of 15 academy years 

if we picked a team of derbyshire / DCFC academy products produced over 15 years, aged under 37 we could probably give Iceland a decent game.

+ not sure what the icelandic f a will be able to tell us since only three of their international squad of 30 play  in Iceland.

GRANT 34

CAMP 32

ATKINS 27

FREEMAN 25

LOWE 19

O'BRIEN 24

NAYLOR 25

LELAN 25

EVATT 35

RIGGOTT 36

ADDIŠON 28

NYATANGA 28

LASCELLES 23

BUXTON 32

RAWSON 21

HANSON 21

HUDDLESTONE 30

HENDRICK 25

HUGHES 22 

PRINGLE 27

BARNES 28

AINSWORTH 29

BENNETT 20

BALL 24

THOMAS 21 

TUDGAY 34

McLEOD 32

HOLMES 30

OSBORN  23

ADAMS 21

So Mel is backing his manager, I would be worried if he wasn't.

And we will have some stability here and let GR rebuild this lot of over paid prim donna's [get the wage bill down], until we don't have instant success next season?

Then Mel might be backing his new manager again...... 

Remember when Fergie arrived at UTD to rebuild them, the bloke was a game from being sacked, but their board didn't pull the trigger and let him carry on rebuilding.........

the interview reinforces the impression of Mel as a relentless controlling micro-manager.

There were several aspects we identified where that would have to come from, which being fitter as a team, doing better at set plays, both offensively and defensively. We hired a new manager, in Nigel Pearson, who was clearly tasked with the mission of addressing the issues

Pre-season was something that we had been so much looking forward to, but even at that stage, it appeared that we were radically moving away from the structure that we had set out.

I am looking at how I can get that bit more, where is that edge going to come from and how do we deal with this? All of Gary’s staff, very clearly, understand what they have to do because of that attitude.

the players have asked if they will get that for every game! ‘Of course you will’ I replied. ‘Have you never had this?’

“One of the things that I have tasked some of the Academy coaches and guys working on the Own the Region project to do is to go to Iceland.

I suspect that he has an extreme case of OCD.

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

the interview reinforces the impression of Mel as a relentless controlling micro-manager.

I suspect that he has an extreme case of OCD.

I am not so certain on this. The 'we' suggests a collaborative approach whereby Mel sat down with others and possibly Pearson and there was mutual agreement on what needed to change and how that would be done. It is not implausible that Pearson failed to deliver on what was agreed - I would be surprised if his brief was to produce the total garbage we saw in each of the games under his tenure.

When taking on any new job, in football or in another industry, it would be usual to be given targets in terms of both achievement and methodology or otherwise you are simply appointing someone to do as they see fit.

I would be more worried if Mel wasn't clear on what he expected in terms of required outcomes. Presumably Rowett has had that discussion and believes he an deliver what is expected of him.

Archived