Mel interview

Day

46 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I could well see how those who've supported through thick and thin might feel entitled to think that.However,I also think that there are an awful lot (possibly more) of fair weather fans that seem to think they're in some way co-owners.The bottom line for me is whether the admission cost relates purely to the spectacle being offered (as in,say, the cinema),or whether it includes some kind of donation to the club.

Again there's more to it than just money input ,whether that be from fans or owners ,, some would call me a fair weather fan at this stage in my life ( their opinion ) as I pretty much only go to away games in the south east but I've been watching Derby since five years old am fifty six now and through those years I've had periods where I had season tickets for years , went home and away then periods where I never went as much ,, never success related just life related I went when we were good ,I went when we were dire , Derby county is part of the fabric that makes me up , it's been a massive part of my life 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, archied said:

Again there's more to it than just money input ,whether that be from fans or owners ,, some would call me a fair weather fan at this stage in my life ( their opinion ) as I pretty much only go to away games in the south east but I've been watching Derby since five years old am fifty six now and through those years I've had periods where I had season tickets for years , went home and away then periods where I never went as much ,, never success related just life related I went when we were good ,I went when we were dire , Derby county is part of the fabric that makes me up , it's been a massive part of my life 

Sorry,by fair weather fan I meant those who could go all the time,but only choose to do so when the team is playing well.I've long been resigned to the fact that I'll never again see us in the flesh,because I can scarcely travel far in Ireland,let alone contemplate a trip to the UK. However,I still feel a strong attachment to the club,and I'll bet my roar is as loud as most when we score.

So many folk on here saying on the one hand, MM should be less involved and let managers manage, then on the other, it's his fault we've signed the likes of Bent and co. The recruitment team recruit and the manager manages so how can Morris be blamed? You can't have it both ways :huh:

Just now, ramblur said:

Sorry,by fair weather fan I meant those who could go all the time,but only choose to do so when the team is playing well.I've long been resigned to the fact that I'll never again see us in the flesh,because I can scarcely travel far in Ireland,let alone contemplate a trip to the UK. However,I still feel a strong attachment to the club,and I'll bet my roar is as loud as most when we score.

Was nt offended or having a pop at you ramblur , it's very clear that you are a died in the wool ram as myself and thousands of others , my point is that real football fans are invested in the clubs in so many more ways than financially and it's lifelong and often passed on through the generations of families and it's a wise owner that understands that ,I get the impression that for any faults some may pick out with mel that he's very aware of this ,,, to call him a rich fan that wants a go at being the manager as quoted by another poster is a bit unfair 

I wish I could buy into it. I want to believe. Just reads like PR nonsense. Doesn't have any bearing on whether he's running the club well though, and I believe he's doing alright on the balance of it.

I've just got a functioning bullshit detector, that's all. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For two of those, some could argue we overachieved during mac's first stint, and underachieved this season. 

No, you really can't! 

194 goals, clean sheet records broken, a 28 pass move goal in a play-off semi-final with every outfielder getting a touch… we were absoloutely ******* marvellous. Circumstance cost that team a promotion, nothing more.

This current Derby side deserves to be where it is. It can churn out results as long as BJ and Ince are fit and we're not bothered about performance. Try and get on the front foot and this Derby team gets slaughtered.

12 minutes ago, archied said:

Was nt offended or having a pop at you ramblur , it's very clear that you are a died in the wool ram as myself and thousands of others , my point is that real football fans are invested in the clubs in so many more ways than financially and it's lifelong and often passed on through the generations of families and it's a wise owner that understands that ,I get the impression that for any faults some may pick out with mel that he's very aware of this ,,, to call him a rich fan that wants a go at being the manager as quoted by another poster is a bit unfair 

Glad you realise I wasn't having a pop at you either,archied.I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that we may all feel emotionally attached to the club,but to what extent do these feelings entitle us to criticise an owner whose loot has bought the club and sustained it,when we as fans (excluding me,unfortunately) pay for the prospect of entertainment,just as we would when subscribing to any other entertainment?

2 hours ago, ramblur said:

Glad you realise I wasn't having a pop at you either,archied.I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that we may all feel emotionally attached to the club,but to what extent do these feelings entitle us to criticise an owner whose loot has bought the club and sustained it,when we as fans (excluding me,unfortunately) pay for the prospect of entertainment,just as we would when subscribing to any other entertainment?

Some may think this is a bit rich coming from me,but I never told the previous regime how they should be running their business.I only challenged statements of a financial nature that they chose to release.I felt particularly entitled where same represented attacks on the owners prior to them.Whilst I've no doubt that the businessmen constituting the LOG would have a pretty good working understanding of the most important parts of the accounts,I doubt (but apologise if I'm wrong) they would have the detailed accounting expertise required to mount a fully robust defence,and I hate injustice (apart from any fluke win against the gumps,not that we ever get those).

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

You cannot please all of the people all of the time, you can please some of the people some of the time, and you can only please football fans once in a blue moon.

So that's what City sing about. They seem to be happy quite a lot (even in the 3rd tier).

3 hours ago, ramblur said:

Yep it's a hard line to draw ,for me I tend to draw that line when you see the kind of owners that buy a club and clearly intend to strip it bare just taking out and putting nothing in ,, just don't see that in mel , I was the same with Lionel ,thought he got shafted in the end 

3 minutes ago, archied said:

Yep it's a hard line to draw ,for me I tend to draw that line when you see the kind of owners that buy a club and clearly intend to strip it bare just taking out and putting nothing in ,, just don't see that in mel , I was the same with Lionel ,thought he got shafted in the end 

Not that  you could begin to accuse the previous owners of that,I hasten to add! They clearly wanted to make a profit,and overall they  probably would have deserved to (don't ask me if they did,because I've no intention of looking into it,as I won't be downloading Sevco accounts).

On 30/04/2017 at 14:53, jagerbob said:

1) We have never spent 70 million in one off season
2) We like 99% of clubs across the world dont have the luxary of appointing one of the top managers in world football whose last job was Head coach at real madrid and has a champions league trophy on his CV

Sorry this is garbage as a response ... 

Newcastle WERE a TRAIN WRECK hitting the championship ... 

They invested ... They brought in the RIGHT players with their investment ... 

They are now PROMOTED.... 

DCFC invested 

DCFC are going nowhere FAST with their INVESTMENT. 

9 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

Are you familliar with a club who brings in the RIGHT players to do a job ? 

Feel free to buy Mel out and invest in the RIGHT players, I expect you to be announced as new owner just aftert the final game...thought not.

10 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

DCFC invested 

Fixed the spaces for you, felt like I aged a couple years whilst scrolling down it all

10 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

DCFC invested 

In what way were Newcastle a train wreck?

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:10, GerryDaly said:

Without wishing to get boring here .. 

There was no given that Newcastle were gonna go straight back up .. 

They threw money at it .. 

and it paid off 

DCFC have thrown money at it ... and WE ARE A JOKE 

I repeat 

WHO IS GONNA BE SACKED ? 

Could

you

please

spread

out

your

thread