Might MM walk away?

Matt Carbon

Firstly, my history on here is chequered, so I fully expect a load of abuse, but I don't mind sticking my neck above the parapet once again. I will take some of the heat off Keogh for a while! 

I spoke with a friend the other day who can be argued to be ITK.

He is of the opinion that given the opportunity MM would happily walk away from the club. A snatched conversation had led him to believe that the only problem would be finding someone with sufficient wealth to step in.

So, the point of this thread is not for me to pretend that this is going to happen imminently, or even that it could happen in the next 10 years.

The question is, do we think MM might get 'bored/disenchanted' and walk away?

and moreover;

Do we as fans feel vulnerable that our club has turned itself into a completely different financial beast that, without the benevolence of one individual, would struggle to exist?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything in football is for sale, everything. All you need is a willing buyer that will meet that number, Messi, Neymar, Man Utd, Grimsby Town, Derby County.

If an oil tycoon offered 1 billion tomorrow, I'm sure he would ask for a pen. 

Seems weird he keeps investing heaps of personal wealth into a club he'd happily walk away from. 

Not a dig at the OP but just seems odd? Continous multi-millions invested away from the playing side of things alone, which is all directed from his drive to improve the stadium, training ground, academy etc... 

Talk to senior people at the club and they will tell you Mel seems to have lost a lot of enthusiasm. Even on matchdays he's in and out, whereas he used to enjoy wandering around talking to exec folk etc.

That's a big leap from there to being prepared to sell up, though who knows? As @David says, everyone has a price. Can't see it myself unless we go up and someone offers really, really stupid money.

'Walking away' is unlikely, because that would mean Administration and possibly the end of something he loves and cherishes.

'Selling up' is a distinct possibility. It only requires someone with bigger financial clout and for Mel to feel that it's in the best interests of DCFC.

The third possibility is that he is utterly sick to death of being on the receiving end of flak and ridicule, and would consider cutting his losses upon receipt of a 'reasonable' offer.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Everything in football is for sale, everything. All you need is a willing buyer that will meet that number, Messi, Neymar, Man Utd, Grimsby Town, Derby County.

Jesus. Always have to ask for something extra.

24 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Seems weird he keeps investing heaps of personal wealth into a club he'd happily walk away from. 

Not a dig at the OP but just seems odd? Continous multi-millions invested away from the playing side of things alone, which is all directed from his drive to improve the stadium, training ground, academy etc... 

Not just that but heavily involved if not the driving force behind better TV dealsand media rights for Football League clubs.

Throw in Moor Farm extension plans and when you talk to him doesn't strike you as a man that's looking to get rid and opening the doors to offers.

Snatched conversation with no context = a juicy internet rumour to runaway with and HITC to turn into a story.

Lets face it the boy Morris is living the dream. Most of the members on this forum would give their right arm to own the football club they support. Why should he walk away ? I'm sure he has dealt with more unsavoury characters in his business deals than some of the keyboard warrior MM critics on here.

He will take us into the Prem with GR as manager and has the financial means to keep us there. He is probably only investing some of the income he receives from his investments etc.

Brilliant Chairman.

After a couple of seasons of hedonistic gambling, the hard work really starts now. He wouldn't be demonstrating much character if he suddenly jumped ship. And despite my own reservations about Mel's ownership thus far, one thing I do not doubt is the man's drive to succeed and belief in his own integrity.

57 minutes ago, David said:

No way - it was outside the box lol

Sith Happens

No doubt if he decides to seel a buyer will easily be found, as no doubt all those calling for him to step aside have a long list of potential buyers lined up.

We know that John Jay Moores is in the market for an English football club following talks with Everton and Forest, and is the sort of person you could expect to see being interested.

My question to all those who have berated Mel - would you be happier seeing the club in the hands of someone like him, who has no affiliation or affection for the club and sees it purely as a status thing? The idea of a Man City scenario is incredibly far-fetched! People quote GSE as being good owners now, but at one stage there were protests against them outside the West Stand!

I would be gutted to see that happen, but I'm interested to see if there are people who actually think it would be positive and why? 

Could just be he's come to terms with the fact he can't make it good by force of will alone? Mel just taking a bit of a lower profile might not be the end of the world.

It's also the case that general enthusiasm has dwindled this season as its been very disappointing. Would Mel be as enthusiastic if we were still in the hunt for top two as opposed to being to resigned to some "trimming" for ffp and a season or two of building?

Although he might be fed up with the greif you get for raising expectations....?

46 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Lets face it the boy Morris is living the dream. Most of the members on this forum would give their right arm to own the football club they support. Why should he walk away ? I'm sure he has dealt with more unsavoury characters in his business deals than some of the keyboard warrior MM critics on here.

He will take us into the Prem with GR as manager and has the financial means to keep us there. He is probably only investing some of the income he receives from his investments etc.

Brilliant Chairman.

Absolutely. He may feel weary at times but clearly he's a chap of strategic vision and he's building something big. He is very stoic in seeing it through. The OP is just an excuse really for an interesting debate...but MM is clearly a "completer-finisher" in my book. Every step is calculated and we just need that little bit more weight to achieve the critical mass. One very interesting summer ahead and once again I'm happy being a Ram.  

Archived