Might MM walk away?

Matt Carbon

Easiest way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one. Mel isn't stupid, he must have known that taking on a club outside of the Premier League like us was a risk. As for how much stomach for the fight in the long term he has if we don't get promoted remains to be seen. I highly doubt he would leave us up sheet creek without a paddle if he ever did leave though.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If his choice of manager lasts less than 6 months I question his decision making. The only manager I can 100% understand leaving was Pearson - and even then Mel must have realised he was going to change the team top to bottom, and there would be some big pain during the transition. I'm unconvinced that Mel has the patience to allow any manager to build their vision.

That's the thing though, they weren't supposed to building their vision. They were supposed to be buying into his, or at least the club's. The only two that did this were McClaren and Wassall.

The problem is… I don't think he understands that vision. Even to the extent that he credits the beginning of 'The Derby Way' to the wrong man.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If his choice of manager lasts less than 6 months I question his decision making. The only manager I can 100% understand leaving was Pearson - and even then Mel must have realised he was going to change the team top to bottom, and there would be some big pain during the transition. I'm unconvinced that Mel has the patience to allow any manager to build their vision.

Exactly feel the same way. 

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Just a note to @OwenB87 don't interview DEL if you are looking for considered thoughts. ?

Also @OwenB87 don't interview train spotter if you are looking for very considered thoughts. ?

5 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Seems weird he keeps investing heaps of personal wealth into a club he'd happily walk away from. 

Not a dig at the OP but just seems odd? Continous multi-millions invested away from the playing side of things alone, which is all directed from his drive to improve the stadium, training ground, academy etc... 

IT seems that way but in reality Mel (IMO) is two things ...

A fan ... And he is having a great time being Mr Large living a dream owning his home town club. And although Derby isn't a Man United or Liverpool it is a club with a real name and genuine status. 

the other Mel is a business man. He is running a professional show and hoping for a big return which is entirely possible. One promotion and he gets his investment back in one go. By investing in infrastructure now, rather than in a rush as a new pl club he is saving longer term money and garnering more local support and status. 

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Y'all got me worried and I think I'm gonna write him a letter telling him how much we love him :wub:

Send one of my stallions heads too

46 minutes ago, jono said:

IT seems that way but in reality Mel (IMO) is two things ...

A fan ... And he is having a great time being Mr Large living a dream owning his home town club. And although Derby isn't a Man United or Liverpool it is a club with a real name and genuine status. 

the other Mel is a business man. He is running a professional show and hoping for a big return which is entirely possible. One promotion and he gets his investment back in one go. By investing in infrastructure now, rather than in a rush as a new pl club he is saving longer term money and garnering more local support and status. 

I'd have to argue point two, I think he knows any return on his investment financially is all but impossible, even with many years of premier league money.

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, Matt Carbon said:

Firstly, my history on here is chequered, so I fully expect a load of abuse, but I don't mind sticking my neck above the parapet once again. I will take some of the heat off Keogh for a while! 

I spoke with a friend the other day who can be argued to be ITK.

He is of the opinion that given the opportunity MM would happily walk away from the club. A snatched conversation had led him to believe that the only problem would be finding someone with sufficient wealth to step in.

So, the point of this thread is not for me to pretend that this is going to happen imminently, or even that it could happen in the next 10 years.

The question is, do we think MM might get 'bored/disenchanted' and walk away?

and moreover;

Do we as fans feel vulnerable that our club has turned itself into a completely different financial beast that, without the benevolence of one individual, would struggle to exist?

I don't think he would walk  away , but there are quite a few foreign investors looking to buy football clubs. If someone made the right offer he would sell. Same for anyone I guess... 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Easiest way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one. Mel isn't stupid, he must have known that taking on a club outside of the Premier League like us was a risk. As for how much stomach for the fight in the long term he has if we don't get promoted remains to be seen. I highly doubt he would leave us up sheet creek without a paddle if he ever did leave though.

He's made  clear he doesn't expect to make money from his investment in the Rams. 

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

To be fair he has received a lot of abuse from people which cant be nice. Stuff his family have had to read, death threats etc. It might be me think if its worth the hassle.

Mel Morris has had death threats? I really can't believe that. I've. Heard him called Mel the machete... But I don't think anyone actually wants to use a real machet do they? 

His reign hasn't been much fun for him, with very few highlights.  The fans have not refereed to him in 'song' as one of our own, for some time now.   I think he'd walk if the deal was good enough, in fact I'm quite sure he would. 

3 minutes ago, unclej said:

His reign hasn't been much fun for him, with very few highlights.  The fans have not refereed to him in 'song' as one of our own, for some time now.   I think he'd walk if the deal was good enough, in fact I'm quite sure he would. 

Have you any ideas for an alternative reign?? 

1 minute ago, GerryDaly said:

Seriously. 

Some of the crap you give this guy on these pages is amazing... 

Just what exactly do you think DCFC was to do without Mel Morris ? 

Continue as they did before Mel Morris?

2 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Seriously. 

Some of the crap you give this guy on these pages is amazing... 

Just what exactly do you think DCFC was to do without Mel Morris ? 

Carry on being a professional football club..... there was a time before Mel and they'll be times after......

The guy isn't immune from criticism, not one person should be..... instead of giving the usual "can't believe the crap" line instead why don't explain why you don't think so? 

Archived