Might MM walk away?

Matt Carbon

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll not be having a pop, I like it that he talks to David and, I assume other DCFC forum proprietors, shows he's taking an interest, gauging the opinions of his customers.

My dream is to see us at Wembley in an FA Cup final before I kick it and nothing would please me more than to see a picture Of Mel Morris holding up the cup with black and white ribbons on it.

I just hope we don't have to go through too many more managers in the next 5 years. I like to pretend I don't give a monkeys how we're perceived in the media but it does actually bug me we are being written/talked about more for managerial appointments/dismissals than how we're performing on the pitch.

I hope Gary Rowett can learn to manage Mel, keep him informed, get him onside with his vision and he gets the chance to lay some foundations on the playing staff for a drop of consistency. That's all I'd ask. 

COYR ? 

Everybody should be open to criticism and Mel would probably admit that he has dropped a few clangers since buying the club.

I just wonder if any of those who have absolutely slated him and are calling for him to go, have made mistakes in their working lives or during school lessons?

5 hours ago, David said:

Afraid I have some bad news for some of you, having just spoke to Mel on the phone I can confirm that he has no plans to sell the club at all [insert laughing off rumour sound].

GOOD,, as another poster has said above it would be really heartwarming to see us having success and hear the fans singing he's one of our own to Morris , it would feel far better to me that way , a real Derby story achieved by Derby people ,like it's our club , not arabs or Russians ( not a racist view just seems real disconnect from fans and owners ) ,but a fan who has been through the good times and the bad times with us , celebrates with us , feels the same pain we do when it's not good ,

derby county is not Mel Morris but Mel morris is Derby county through and through

The thing is, he actually can't walk away anyway, even if he wanted to. (Not that I would want him to).

He's locked in , like most of us fans. Although for different reasons.  

- he has invested huge amounts of money into the club that currently there is little prospect of him getting back by just walking away

- because of FFP these funds are not loans, they are classified as share capital. He has no call on them and cannot demand repayment

- until he found a buyer he would have to continue to plough in significant funds to stop the club going bust. Its like a constant torrent down the plughole. Without Mels money we would be out of business. in theory he could walk away, but it would mean the club going into receivership, taking the points deduction and going down into League One - probably not palatable.

- there is absolutely no reason to suggest that there are any willing or acceptable buyers of DCFC out there. No-one is willing to pay a kings ransom for  a mid table Championship team. So-called small clubs like Burnley, Hull, Bournemouth, Watford - all of them currently much more valuable than the rams. 

So, as I see it, he only has one option. 

Stick it out until we see some success.

Until then, walking away is not an option. 

6 hours ago, David said:

Afraid I have some bad news for some of you, having just spoke to Mel on the phone I can confirm that he has no plans to sell the club at all [insert laughing off rumour sound].

He didn't text you then! Really Mel phoned you?

1 minute ago, archied said:

GOOD,, as another poster has said above it would be really heartwarming to see us having success and hear the fans singing he's one of our own to Morris , it would feel far better to me that way , a real Derby story achieved by Derby people ,like it's our club , not arabs or Russians ( not a racist view just seems real disconnect from fans and owners ) ,but a fan who has been through the good times and the bad times with us , celebrates with us , feels the same pain we do when it's not good ,

derby county is not Mel Morris but Mel morris is Derby county through and through

I've come over all mel Gibson braveheart ,,,, I am William Wallace 

42 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Well, I'll not be having a pop, I like it that he talks to David and, I assume other DCFC forum proprietors, shows he's taking an interest, gauging the opinions of his customers.

I reached out to Mel, not to ask for a comment on the rumour but asking if it was basically ok to leave up. We often get accused of removing critical posts for a decent breakfast which isn't the case at all. 

Mel's always been fine with criticism, the forum is full of it, name calling the lot, understands it's part of the game, what he doesn't like is bullshit that can damage the club in any way. 

Admittedly I get rather nervous when you see rumours pop up on the forum even from media outlets as it often leads to my mate heard this and given the initial contact was through a lawyer, shown where the line was face to face, I honestly wasn't sure which side this landed on.

Believe it or not this is the first time I've actually asked is this ok, sent a message last night, called today and just laughed it off. 

We're all Derby fans and I'm sure none of us would want to knowingly peddle rubbish around, a lot is passed on in good faith and personal opinions can sometimes make things easier to believe like the drones!

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm just glad to read your voice is getting better.

If we were in trouble financially, he would have reversed the charges.

He didn't, did he?

Throat is still horrendous, @Boycie will confirm that.

He rings 3 times so I've seen it then I have to ring back.

31 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

The thing is, he actually can't walk away anyway, even if he wanted to. (Not that I would want him to).

He's locked in , like most of us fans. Although for different reasons.  

- he has invested huge amounts of money into the club that currently there is little prospect of him getting back by just walking away

- because of FFP these funds are not loans, they are classified as share capital. He has no call on them and cannot demand repayment

- until he found a buyer he would have to continue to plough in significant funds to stop the club going bust. Its like a constant torrent down the plughole. Without Mels money we would be out of business. in theory he could walk away, but it would mean the club going into receivership, taking the points deduction and going down into League One - probably not palatable.

- there is absolutely no reason to suggest that there are any willing or acceptable buyers of DCFC out there. No-one is willing to pay a kings ransom for  a mid table Championship team. So-called small clubs like Burnley, Hull, Bournemouth, Watford - all of them currently much more valuable than the rams. 

So, as I see it, he only has one option. 

Stick it out until we see some success.

Until then, walking away is not an option. 

Can anyone confirm the bolded part, it's not what I'm led to believe.

Not doubting you @BobbyD, but I've heard otherwise.

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Sussed it.. He just waiting for David to accept the next managers appointment.. October I am guessing.

I wouldn't be able to handle your criticism, especially as you have my email address. Can only imagine the abuse I'd get if we lost to Forest! 

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The money Mel has put in is in share capital, rather than loans.

In the last accounts £17m of loans were converted into share capital. 

There was a loan from the parent company to pay off the mortgage.

Since these accounts I believe a further £52m has been invested via share capital. Hopefully know more in the next few days.

6 hours ago, David said:

Thats really good news.

Going to pour another glass of rhubarb wine now.

Cheers Mel

4 hours ago, lrm14 said:

If he winds his neck in and starts making less impulsive decisions, we've got one of the best chairmen in the country in terms of financing and commitment to the club. The last thing I want is him to sell up, but that isn't going to stop me from criticising some of the very questionable and rash decisions I think he has made. I think (and hope) the majority of us are in the rational camp.

With all due respect decisions always look easier with the benifit of hindsight and when spending other people's money. 

Archived