Might MM walk away?

Matt Carbon

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to someone who knew him at school for many years.

didn't sound like Mel was a sensitive flower. Far from it.

I think his appointment of GR signals his wish to have someone he can trust to buy the correct

players, and improve the clubs position in the long term. Lets face it, we had to get rid of NP as

we were going to end up being relegated, and with Mac the same sudden drop, with no real

reason as to why. Assuming we dont go and set a new record for continuous losses, I can see

GR being her in 2 years time - in the Prem, along with Mel in the background.

5 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

Mel Morris is not DCFC. 

But he's a fan. :thumbsup:

As a professional football club in which tier of English football do you wish us ?

The premier league......

Ok here goes

there was dcfc before mel

there will be dcfc after Mel 

he is not beyond criticism,,, but here's the rub , he's a lifelong Derby fan who wisely or stupidly is investing a lot of his own money into the club and by that also into the area , he is doing this in an attempt to bring success as I can't see him doing it in an effort to destroy the club and spunk his doe 

he is being accused of all sorts from being a Meglamaniac to a bumbling idiot who is destroying what we had ? What we had was reasonable owners keeping us afloat but also going nowhere fast with dwindling crowds under clough , ok if you like that but in all fairness we were at best improving very very slowly or at worst stagnating and would have gone backwards as that's what happens in football if you stand still , the Americans had a punt and in fairness wanted a way out ? 

Step up Mel wanting to give it a punt and it's been said that even before he took over he was in the background towards the end of the amaericans ownership underwriting some player investment for mac1? 

Personaly I like the fact that expectations have been raised , I like the fact there's a buzz around the club , I like the fact we are not an Ipswich type club which we could easily be without Mel coming in ,

some seem to have a personal axe to grind with him and with some I thinks pure green eyed monster 

Mel is accused of micro managing ,,,? Isn't that kind of what's happening to him ,microjudged ? Just the same as fans micro judged Pearson or clement ,?

yes fans can criticise,it's their right but me I'm gonna hold off and judge over a longer period as I believe there are enough pluses about Mel Morris as owners of Derby to allow me to feel comfortable giving him that space ,time and support in a way that was never there for the 3 amigos when Lionel was shafted 

27 minutes ago, archied said:

Ok here goes

there was dcfc before mel

there will be dcfc after Mel 

he is not beyond criticism,,, but here's the rub , he's a lifelong Derby fan who wisely or stupidly is investing a lot of his own money into the club and by that also into the area , he is doing this in an attempt to bring success as I can't see him doing it in an effort to destroy the club and spunk his doe 

he is being accused of all sorts from being a Meglamaniac to a bumbling idiot who is destroying what we had ? What we had was reasonable owners keeping us afloat but also going nowhere fast with dwindling crowds under clough , ok if you like that but in all fairness we were at best improving very very slowly or at worst stagnating and would have gone backwards as that's what happens in football if you stand still , the Americans had a punt and in fairness wanted a way out ? 

Step up Mel wanting to give it a punt and it's been said that even before he took over he was in the background towards the end of the amaericans ownership underwriting some player investment for mac1? 

Personaly I like the fact that expectations have been raised , I like the fact there's a buzz around the club , I like the fact we are not an Ipswich type club which we could easily be without Mel coming in ,

some seem to have a personal axe to grind with him and with some I thinks pure green eyed monster 

Mel is accused of micro managing ,,,? Isn't that kind of what's happening to him ,microjudged ? Just the same as fans micro judged Pearson or clement ,?

yes fans can criticise,it's their right but me I'm gonna hold off and judge over a longer period as I believe there are enough pluses about Mel Morris as owners of Derby to allow me to feel comfortable giving him that space ,time and support in a way that was never there for the 3 amigos when Lionel was shafted 

You only need to look at Nottingham Forest to see the wonders Mel has done for Derby County. We compare ourselves to them because of manager sackings, but we are at polar opposites. We are chasing the righ formula to get us promoted, they are chasing.....well they just don't know.

Then look at the likes of Leyton Orient and Coventry....under the 3 amigos that could very easily have been us, it was only by the grace of god (Leon Osman) that we weren't relegated to League 1.

We are very lucky to have a chairman like Mel, I just don't think some fans appreciate it, especially those who weren't around to experience the real BAD times.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You only need to look at Nottingham Forest to see the wonders Mel has done for Derby County. We compare ourselves to them because of manager sackings, but we are at polar opposites. We are chasing the righ formula to get us promoted, they are chasing.....well they just don't know.

Then look at the likes of Leyton Orient and Coventry....under the 3 amigos that could very easily have been us, it was only by the grace of god (Leon Osman) that we weren't relegated to League 1.

We are very lucky to have a chairman like Mel, I just don't think some fans appreciate it, especially those who weren't around to experience the real BAD times.

Nail hit firmly on head. He has his faults (who doesn't?) but we are very lucky to have him as our owner. Those that think he should sell up and go or over step the mark when criticising him should be careful what they wish for. 

What really winds me up is when people say "where would we be without Mel?" or "what would we do if he left?".

There was a Derby County Football Club for 130 years before Mel Morris took over here, and there will hopefully be a lot more than that after he leaves. So all this "Mel Morris is Derby County" rubbish is exactly that - rubbish.

Yes, have your opinions on whether he's been good for the club or not, but for ***** sake don't make out like he's the be-all and end-all of Derby County. 

There will be a time when the likes of Will Hughes and Chris Martin will be a distant memory. There will be a time when Mel Morris will be a distant memory. But 10, 50, 100 years down the line, Derby County will still (hopefully) be going strong, bringing highs and lows to its supporters, of whom will be our children, grandchildren and so on. 

So let's stop all this "what would we do with him?" tripe please.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Nail hit firmly on head. He has his faults (who doesn't?) but we are very lucky to have him as our owner. Those that think he should sell up and go or over step the mark when criticising him should be careful what they wish for. 

Spot on. There seems to be three camps:

- MM can do no wrong 

- MM can do nothing right 

- MM is on balance a positive thing for the club 

I'm firmly in the latter camp, but that doesn't mean I have to approve everything that's going on. I haven't been happy with the sackings for example, but the root cause of that is the appointment process. Surely something is going wrong if we've made 3 bad appointments. I am sensible enough to realise that quite often there are reasons for apparently bad decisions, that simply can't be publicly shared, but that doesn't mean I have to absolve MM of all blame. 

Nonetheless, I'd far rather have MM on board than not. 

When Steve Gibson bought The Boro he went through a similar baptism that Mel is being subjected too now.

Owners take time to bed in. Owners that are life long fans take a little longer and its a little more ruff.

Should it be, I don't think so, however he's a fan so there is a feeling that he should just know exactly what to do all of the time.

It will be just fine.

4 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

What really winds me up is when people say "where would we be without Mel?" or "what would we do if he left?".

There was a Derby County Football Club for 130 years before Mel Morris took over here, and there will hopefully be a lot more than that after he leaves. So all this "Mel Morris is Derby County" rubbish is exactly that - rubbish.

Yes, have your opinions on whether he's been good for the club or not, but for ***** sake don't make out like he's the be-all and end-all of Derby County. 

There will be a time when the likes of Will Hughes and Chris Martin will be a distant memory. There will be a time when Mel Morris will be a distant memory. But 10, 50, 100 years down the line, Derby County will still (hopefully) be going strong, bringing highs and lows to its supporters, of whom will be our children, grandchildren and so on. 

Exactly...... it's the generalisations and the being put into certain camps regarding Mel that bugs me.

It's why I responded earlier to a post on this thread regarding abuse etc..... I've seen one post on social media about Mel, which yes was out of order......

But I know and seen what has happened when someone has challenged and critiqued him and the club...... and I don't think that's right what's been done or warned.

The man has literally a "them v us" mentality with the local media..... you may not or may agree with the Radio Derby and DET boys and girls..... but I really don't feel he helps himself with refusals of being interviewed.

I really want the man to succeed and get things right for Derby..... but boy he needs to be held to account, he needs to have a bit of humility and admit things he's got wrong..... he'd go up enormously in my estimation if he did that..... but it seems like fingers in ears response all the time.....

Geniunely want this guy to be the best thing since sliced bread for Derby.....

But instead of stability all I see is chaos. Let's hope Rowett is finally the right one. 

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I understand and agree with what you are saying but, I guess the "where would we without Mel" brigade are talking about the here and now. Not in 10, 20 years time. Would the American owners had invested as much (admittedly we're not seeing the benefits yet) or sold out to a Fawaz, Tan or Venky? 

If he winds his neck in and starts making less impulsive decisions, we've got one of the best chairmen in the country in terms of financing and commitment to the club. The last thing I want is him to sell up, but that isn't going to stop me from criticising some of the very questionable and rash decisions I think he has made. I think (and hope) the majority of us are in the rational camp.

Archived