Might MM walk away?

Matt Carbon

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want him to leave. He's made a few mistakes...and he doesn't appear to be a patient man when it comes to managers (arguably an understatement!). But it seems he really does have the best interests of the club at heart, he has invested considerable amounts of money and we've no right as fans to expect that from any owner.

It's ok to have a few false starts if we get to where we want to go eventually. With Mel's backing at least that is a possibility. I do hope if he gives Rowett enough time to build his own team. Another premature sacking, and we really would have to start to wonder.

40 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

We know that John Jay Moores is in the market for an English football club following talks with Everton and Forest, and is the sort of person you could expect to see being interested.

My question to all those who have berated Mel - would you be happier seeing the club in the hands of someone like him, who has no affiliation or affection for the club and sees it purely as a status thing? The idea of a Man City scenario is incredibly far-fetched! People quote GSE as being good owners now, but at one stage there were protests against them outside the West Stand!

I would be gutted to see that happen, but I'm interested to see if there are people who actually think it would be positive and why? 

Why does it matter how the owner sees it? Surely it's all about results at the end of the day? We had better results the final season under GSE. I think it would be positive as it could give us a new direction which is much needed and hopefully some stability. At the end of the day, I don't care about our owners. My ideal owner is one that is in the background but would back the manager. I just care what is on the pitch.

40 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. He may feel weary at times but clearly he's a chap of strategic vision and he's building something big. He is very stoic in seeing it through. The OP is just an excuse really for an interesting debate...but MM is clearly a "completer-finisher" in my book. Every step is calculated and we just need that little bit more weight to achieve the critical mass. One very interesting summer ahead and once again I'm happy being a Ram.  

Agree We know from history ( business world) that Mel is very determined , will have had to put up with worse than some of the criticism he will come in for as Derby owner but it's also worth people keeping in mind that that is very different , the difference is that he is a real fan and we all know that means the feeling of being amongst your tribe , now if you start getting all kinds of crap from sections of that tribe with criticism and some of the personal bile that can come , that's much harder to deal with ,, fans really need to keep in mind that Mel is one of us doing his best as he sees it for Derby ,, Lionel's treatment from some Derby fans at the end was shameful, really hope the same is not repeated with Mel 

No, i doubt it but who knows. As far as im aware he is a lifelong Derby fan and would like to think he would only sell up and walk away if he felt he couldnt take the club forward anymore or it become in such a crap situation he would walk away. who knows?! I would be very very very surprised if he sold up and left though. If anything he'd bring in a partner and be 60% owner or something like that.

Hmmmmm...... I do wonder sometimes whether certain posts/conversations the opening one were intended deliberately to be in the public domain.

All I'll say is I hope Rowett gets the freedom to do what is needed.... bring stability to this club. The feeling of fans, the club and the local media together mostly as one..... instead of the them and us attitude that seems to be happening.......

Do feel we have headed back to the Jewell sacking era, ok probably not as much as a low point..... I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope Mel does too.

If Mel don't get this one right. When will he ever?

We used to laugh at other teams owners..... we are that club now.

Sith Happens

To be fair he has received a lot of abuse from people which cant be nice. Stuff his family have had to read, death threats etc. It might be me think if its worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, David said:

Everything in football is for sale, everything. All you need is a willing buyer that will meet that number, Messi, Neymar, Man Utd, Grimsby Town, Derby County.

If an oil tycoon offered 1 billion tomorrow, I'm sure he would ask for a pen. 

Mel hasnt got a pen!,perhaps he should nip into the cub shop and purchase a few,a little overpriced mind and not of a significant quality but that would be inkeeping with some of his signings ? 

Tongue in cheek.

Think Mel has been A great owner and with further tenacity,a change in fortune's injury wise,he will achieve his ambitions of transforming our club into  a successful viable top flight team.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

To be fair he has received a lot of abuse from people which cant be nice. Stuff his family have had to read, death threats etc. It might be me think if its worth the hassle.

One tweet on social media all I've seen..... which I agree was out of order.... he was quite happily sharing posts and tweets and comments on big screens at a certain event..... business Q and A......

Also quite happy to call in Derby fans of a certain age to remind them to be careful what they post. Also quite happy to remind stewards of what they can and can't say on social media.

Also quite happy to throw his weight around legally too..... 

Define abuse..... is my criticisms and others of similar ilk as me abuse? 

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Talk to senior people at the club and they will tell you Mel seems to have lost a lot of enthusiasm. Even on matchdays he's in and out, whereas he used to enjoy wandering around talking to exec folk etc.

That's a big leap from there to being prepared to sell up, though who knows? As @David says, everyone has a price. Can't see it myself unless we go up and someone offers really, really stupid money.

That would change if he didn't have to watch a clueless mcclaren a sideways passing butterfield and a constant underachieving side. He's tried to listen, support the manager, but his picks of manager have utterly failed him. 

If GR is half as successful as we think he will be - tactician and motivator that he is - and Derby entertain and play with a not been seen passion, he will be invigorated. 

Mel ain't going anywhere :wub:

And I don't buy all this Mumbo about how he has to be patient with managers. 3-5 years of mcclaren clement Pearson ? No thanks! He didn't know they'd be as rubbish as they were. So on their bike they went. Toodles! I love this guy and I think with Rowett he's made a good dare I say brilliant decision. Hungry tactical manager with a history of overachieving and with a connection to the club. Studies the opposition, known admirer of Klopp and German footballing nous, adjusts his team ... very exciting and he's our best chance to deliver. Fun times on the way!

So if mel leaves I will slap him. Mel Morris is the best!

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

That would change if he didn't have to watch a clueless mcclaren a sideways passing butterfield and a constant underachieving side. He's tried to listen, support the manager, but his picks of manager have utterly failed him. 

If GR is half as successful as we think he will be - tactician and motivator that he is - and Derby entertain and play with a not been seen passion, he will be invigorated. 

Mel ain't going anywhere :wub:

In part you're right, I don't think he has helped himself in some areas. However, I hope you are right because DCFC has the capability to become a great club under Morris' stewardship and the right manager, which hopefully will be Rowett. 

Sith Happens
46 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

One tweet on social media all I've seen..... which I agree was out of order.... he was quite happily sharing posts and tweets and comments on big screens at a certain event..... business Q and A......

Also quite happy to call in Derby fans of a certain age to remind them to be careful what they post. Also quite happy to remind stewards of what they can and can't say on social media.

Also quite happy to throw his weight around legally too..... 

Define abuse..... is my criticisms and others of similar ilk as me abuse? 

I cant remember exactly, but the one i was thinkning about was a comment saying he should be beheaded which i think (though i may be wrong) his grandaughter read first.

I'd say thats pretty bad for a starter.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I cant remember exactly, but the one i was thinkning about was a comment saying he should be beheaded which i think (though i may be wrong) his grandaughter read first.

I'd say thats pretty bad for a starter.

That's the only one I've seen and yes out of order....... but I haven't seen streams of abuse. 

Mel purchased a club on the up, he invested big money knowing promotion was only a season or two away....and it almost was, 3 years on the trot, it almost was.

He can't keep throwing his money in, so he either goes down the GSE/Clough route and we go through a few years of stabilising and hope the playoffs happen or he looks for another buyer.

I really feel for him..If I had millions, I would love to invest in a Derby County, but would I like to hear my fellow fans calling me and reading nasty posts about me? I'm not sure I would.

I just hope if this is true, he is doing a Steve Gibson....who also lost interest for a bit and a few wins on the bounce and he realised with a little investment they could go for it again, it worked out nice for Boro.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

And I don't buy all this Mumbo about how he has to be patient with managers. 3-5 years of mcclaren clement Pearson ? No thanks! He didn't know they'd be as rubbish as they were. So on their bike they went. Toodles!

If his choice of manager lasts less than 6 months I question his decision making. The only manager I can 100% understand leaving was Pearson - and even then Mel must have realised he was going to change the team top to bottom, and there would be some big pain during the transition. I'm unconvinced that Mel has the patience to allow any manager to build their vision.

Archived