Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

On 3/19/2017 at 15:44, G STAR RAM said:

There have to be reporting lines though.

If Mel has a problem, he speaks to the manager.

Going behind his managers back will create problems.

If true hope he learns from this mistake.

Doubt if MM is going to learn by mistakes. You have to admit to making them first, and he ain't doing any of that. Dcfc going nowhere with this guy at the helm. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, europia said:

Doubt if MM is going to learn by mistakes. You have to admit to making them first, and he ain't doing any of that. Dcfc going nowhere with this guy at the helm. 

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine.

So, because he hasn't publicly come out and apologised, he can't learn from mistakes. What utter tosh.

When you hit your finger with a hammer, do you privately make note & try not to do it again or do you announce your mistake to the world and the steps you will put in place to prevent doing it again?

Sith Happens

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine.

So, because he hasn't publicly come out and apologised, he can't learn from mistakes. What utter tosh.

When you hit your finger with a hammer, do you privately make note & try not to do it again or do you announce your mistake to the world and the steps you will put in place to prevent doing it again?

Totally agree. And those suggesting we will be better off without Mel, seriously who do they believe is waiting in the wings to buy us and make us a success?

I doubt the Americans will be back in, doubt the local ownership group from before have the funds to match Mel.

Maybe we could give the 3 amigos a shout, or even Sisu, im sure both of these would like to buy the club for the cost of a pint and then asset strip us.

Maybe these people know of a rich suitor standing buy ready and waiting that the rest of us dont?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:42, David said:

I think we would be naive to think no players ever have any contact with chairman, I'm sure it happens at every club for various reasons, in some cases to undermine the manager get him out the door but I'm told this juicy storyline simply isn't true at Derby. 

If you believe all the rumours we have a owner flying drones over Moor Farm so he can watch training sessions to pick the team on Saturday whilst the manager is away banging players wives. He then sacks the manager for not playing the Derby Way when it's his team with players that he personally scouted and signed being put out.

Sounds like something you would see on Hollyoaks!

We need to remember that when you sack a lot of managers in a short space of time you will leave a trail of disgruntled ex employees, agents, family members. No surprise rumours like these are leaked to make the owner look a little loopy and manager completely blameless to help their search for a new job.

I guess once you start publicly denying rumours then you need to respond to every single one otherwise when you stop conclusions will be jumped to. Rumours with clubs every day in the tabloids, you would need to employ a squasher just to deal with them all.

I couldn't be 100% sure David, but with you posting the way you do, I'd say you're probably getting very strong first hand information. Fair play if you are and fair play to Mel if he's taking the time to put one or two things straight. Directly or indirectly.

It might not always come across in my posts because to be fair I've been quite critical of Sam Rush, but I do not think Mel should be criticised at all, other than (as I'm sure he knows) it's not good to keep firing his leaders.

Comparing it to business, where he's been incredibly successful, if he kept firing the sales director every couple of quarters, then brings in a new sales director, heralding him as the saviour of the firm. The new guy keeps changing strategy, grows the size of the team, brings in highly paid  and experienced superstars who are no better than the best he already had. sales keep going backwards, resentment grows amongst the sales team over different pay levels and the CEO's only move is to fire the sales team leader he hired and start all over again, he'd soon get a reputation as an employer to steer clear of and his sales team would probably be in a mess, lacking leadership and a clear vision or strategy.

For sure the majority of them would be de-motivated and open to looking elsewhere. Probably even the highly paid ones.

Outside of getting the management hires wrong too often, Mel's been brilliant to the club, he's shown unbelievable levels of financial backing to the managers he's brought in, he's really given them carte blanche, which is as much as you can ask for. One day though, he's simply got to give one of his hires the two most valuable commodities of all. Trust and time.

Without those, things are just going to go round in circles and I'm sure that's not what Mel either hopes or expects will happen. It's not what he deserves to happen, having put in the amount he has put in, he deserves success.

He can be criticised (if that's the right word) for his hire and fire policy but for everything else he's untouchable, surely. He's giving the club everything they need, he's giving the fans everything they wanted. How can anyone criticise him for that?

I hope he's landed on his feet this time around in Rowett, I really think he's got what it takes to be a very decent manager.

Funny how the anti Mel gang weren't so vocal in the past but armed with hindsight seem to have made their mind up about him.

He's been guilty of choosing managers with differing styles (personally I think he allowed SR to bring SM back and thought enough's enough, I'm picking GR) but I can see him giving GR some time to mould his squad.

Jumping all over Keogh even though we consistently have one of the best defences, Martin even though he still scores goals when playing and now our owner- who's next in front of the firing squad?

4 hours ago, europia said:

By acting swiftly is he not showing that he has made mistakes with his appointments? 

Or are you one of those who things he should go on tv and grovel and beg for forgiveness?

I doubt you get to where he has without realizing when you have made a mistake.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, europia said:

Rubbish. Every word you've said. The club has admitted it got its managerial appointments wrong. And Mel Morris is taking the Rams forward.time was when we'd have been happy with being 10th in this league. Our expectations have been raised precisely because of Mel and his millions. 

The media don't like Mel Morris because he is tackling sky and their profiteering. You've swallowed the lies from the Murdoch empire. 

2 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Funny how the Anti Mel gang weren't so vocal in the past but armed with hindsight seem to have made their mind up about him.

He's been guilty of choosing managers with differing styles (personally I think he allowed SR to bring SM back and thought enough's enough, I'm picking GR) but I can see him giving GR some time to mould his squad.

Jumping all over Keogh even though we consistently have one of the best defences, Martin even though he still scores goals when playing and now our owner- who's next in front of the firing squad?

Been vocal since May 2014..... even more so since May 2015..... unfortunately the longer he's gone on at the helm the more regressive we've become. 

I'm hoping like everyone else..... he gets it right..... let's hope we don't continue to go to form with appointments. 

2 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Funny how the anti Mel gang weren't so vocal in the past but armed with hindsight seem to have made their mind up about him.

If Sam Rush is advising Mel on which manager to hire then Mel has made a mistake right there. Sam is not a football man. He bats for the other side when it comes to the shape of balls.

Sam may be great at what he does on a day to day basis, dealing with contracts, agents and stuff like that. That's his expertise.

Me and you have the same qualifications as him when it comes to selecting football managers though.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

If Sam Rush is advising Mel on which manager to hire then Mel has made a mistake right there. Sam is not a football man. He bats for the other side when it comes to the shape of balls.

Sam may be great at what he does on a day to day basis, dealing with contracts, agents and stuff like that. That's his expertise.

Me and you have the same qualifications as him when it comes to selecting football managers though.

I reckon this is Mel's man, but apart from Mac2 i think they all were.

The club's infastructure has improved since Mel arrived, but on the pitch the team has regressed big time.

Mel has been at fault for that. Not hiring the right managers to compliment the playing squad, and allowing a recruitment team to wreak the sort of havoc you'd expect from an excited 7-year-old playing FM.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The club's infastructure has improved since Mel arrived, but on the pitch the team has regressed big time.

Mel has been at fault for that. Not hiring the right managers to compliment the playing squad, and allowing a recruitment team to wreak the sort of havoc you'd expect from an excited 7-year-old playing FM.

Granted with hindsight Blackman, Camara and Weimann have bombed (not counting Vydra as he hasn't been played correctly and Anya has been in and out of the side) but the vast majority on here were jumping for joy when Johnson and Butterfield were signed.

GR's reign will define his ownership.

Hiring firing managers I will have a bit of an opinion based grumble about here and there but tempered by the cold hard facts of we aren't the only ones , it's a tough job now being a football manager with nowhere to hide ,

when/if we are again a club that other clubs come and take our best players for peanuts at the drop of a hat , when we owe fortunes and are on the verge of going down the pan cause we can't pay our bills despite having amongst the top sized fan bases in the country paying over their hard cash , when our club can be bought and sold for 3 quid to any old swerver , perhaps then I will have some affinity with the totally unbalanced Mel bashers , but now ? Meh? Not really creditable boys

For every appointment a poll on this forum the majority were happy with. 

Pearson the worst manager we've had in years was called for everyday during Wassall's time here, the messiah that Hourihane would have been had we signed him.

If you see Sages sack or not thread, the majority were behind sacking Pearson saying we should never have appointed him, now he's a statistic to bash Mel with. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

IMG_1814.PNG

Forgetting all the sackings - I'd like to know who let the wage structure get completely out of hand. In there lies the real mess we're in right now. Overpaid, underachieving players that have come in and disrupted the squad harmony. We've had the likes of Martin and Hughes ask for better contracts this season because of the imbalance. We've basically undone all of Clough's hard work and now Rowett's been tasked to sort it out again.

Surely that sort of wreckless, boom or bust decision came from Mel? He would have allowed those sort of contracts to be signed. You can't deny we we're looking in better shape in that department before Mel took over. Whoever gave the green light to rip the wage structure apart is open to criticism. It shows a lack of responsibility in even the simplest of business terms.

17 hours ago, europia said:

Aren't you bigging up your own self importance there a bit though? How do you know Mel hasn't admitted to any of his mistakes? Because he hasn't personally called you to tell you? 

We as football fans believe that we have some Devine right to know every single detail about the club because we pay X amount of pounds to watch the team play, when in fact we don't. All your money entitles you to is entry and a guaranteed seat to 23 home games per season. That's it. The fact clubs liase with fans so much is a bonus really but don't expect the guy who's pumped millions into a club to come begging for your sympathy or approval.

On 22/03/2017 at 07:57, G STAR RAM said:

I am interested to know what evidence you have for stating all 4 are good managers?

Do you have any knowledge of how they all work on a day to say basis?

For me, 2 key parts of football management are (1) getting the best out of players (2) having the ability to galvanize a team when things are going against you.

McClaren showed number 1 but definitely not number 2.

Clement and Pearson showed neither really.

Wassall showed bits of both but he was the one that suffered most at the hands of the fans I would suggest.

mclaren ex england manager got us to wembley

clement no2 to top european manager

pearson championship winner been there done it got the t shirt

Archived