Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

On 3/19/2017 at 08:11, Red Ram said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in other threads but have a listen to Pat Murphy on 5 Live Football Daily at 13 minutes and 9 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ws8b5

He's talking in advance of Rowett's appointment and claims that

"Mel Morris's reputation is that of a meddler, prone to texting some influential players and fond of raking over the entrails of the last game on DVD last at night with the manager or coaching staff at his home"

Seriously hope this isn't true but Pat Murphy isn't usually far wrong. If (and I emphasise IF) it's true we've got big problems...

What's wrong with that ? Im pleased he takes a keen interest.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Guy gets paid specifically to write opinion pieces on Football - He'd run absolutely anything he wanted as long as he caveated it by saying it was his viewpoint on what he was seeing... Journos are all the same

Not when you are employed by the BBC otherwise you lose credibility very quickly.

8 hours ago, David said:

I'm sure Pat Murphy trusted his source to run the story, don't doubt that for a second, you have to ask who that source would be and what would the motive be to leak this? You was there when we were told about the cameras so the staff can review training sessions, that turned into drones a few months later when Clement left.

Whilst I don't think Mel's tenure so far should be free from criticism, far from it, rumours such as these should be taken with a pinch of salt, not used as more factual proof of a meddling interfering chairman that's all. 

If any of these kind of rumours are true why has no manager walked as yet? All have been sacked.

To the last point, why would you walk when you know you're probably going to get sacked very soon and have a decent payoff? Do you think your views are slightly biased by the fact you do communicate with Mel and do get invites to events?

Just now, rammieib said:

Do you think your views are slightly biased by the fact you do communicate with Mel and do get invites to events?

If you look through this topic you will have seen I have been critical. I have disagreed with many decisions including the sackings and the lack of communication. Biased? For not reading to much into these rumours, not at all.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

On that basis, six managers later.....

You see the point tho. 

In a later tweet he mentioned it could be misinformation if it doesn't come off, I'm not laying into Pat here, as I said earlier he will report what he's told if he believes it to be genuine. On this occasion it has been misinformation.

Just now, David said:

If you look through this topic you will have seen I have been critical. I have disagreed with many decisions including the sackings and the lack of communication. Biased? For not reading to much into these rumours, not at all.

I have read your posts and yes you have been critical at times I agree. Anyway, we hold separate opinions and I respect that and appreciate feedback you hear.

Im off to watch the drone footage...

7 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

This thread stinks. 

I wonder what or where some of the posters in this thread think DCFC would be without Mel Morris. 

You are aware the club was in existence 130 years before Mel took control don't you.  Personally l think his tenure so far has been quite underwhelming. Hopefully he has learned something over the last two years and Gary Rowett is now given the time (and space) to rectify our squad deficiencies and on-field problems.

7 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

This thread stinks. 

I wonder what or where some of the posters in this thread think DCFC would be without Mel Morris. 

Probably about where we are now but with more stability and a squad not full of overpaid underperforming show ponies. 

9 hours ago, Red Ram said:

I suppose that depends on whether you think it matters if Pat Murphy's claims are true. I think it does because I can't think of a single example of a successful football club where the chairmen gets involved with the players or the football side. For this reason, Murphy's comments were of interest to me, so I thought they might be of interest to other fans.

Your view appears to be that because Morris is our chairman and has put a lot of his own money in (which no-one to disputes and almost all Derby fans are grateful for), he can do no wrong. Would you still think that if he appointed himself manager? I'm not suggesting that's likely - just illustrating that there are some limits to uncritical support.

My concern is simply that if Morris is too involved with the football side, this of itself will prevent us having the success that he's spent the money trying to achieve. it's not intended as negative - just an honest and realistic evaluation of the situation as I see it.

I very much hope that the denials coming out of the club (via David) are accurate and still believe Mel Morris can make a success of his tenure as chairman as long as he lets his managers manage and gives them enough time to deliver success rather than (seemingly) pulling the trigger every time we go on a bad run.

Playing devil's advocate, what teams have failed where the owner has got involved in the footballing side of the club? How do you define what is getting involved with the players and the football side of the club?

11 hours ago, Red Ram said:

I suppose that depends on whether you think it matters if Pat Murphy's claims are true. I think it does because I can't think of a single example of a successful football club where the chairmen gets involved with the players or the football side

Chelsea

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Not when you are employed by the BBC otherwise you lose credibility very quickly.

Do you think they care? The lines "well it's just my opinion" and "well that's what my source said" are equally applicable wherever they go

9 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

This thread stinks. 

We would be DCFC owned by someone else.We were founded in 1884,we have had other chairmen before ,some good some bad.

Archived