Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

17 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Been vocal since May 2014..... even more so since May 2015..... unfortunately the longer he's gone on at the helm the more regressive we've become. 

I'm hoping like everyone else..... he gets it right..... let's hope we don't continue to go to form with appointments. 

So have I.. Was not convinced when he came in, nothing has changed that.. No choice but to go with it and see how it pans out. Local boy makes good in the gaming world, has nothing to do with him being an owner of a football club.. Makes no sense to assume that because he was successful on a previous enterprise, that he will by default, be so here.

He has to get this right soon..

Was talking to a Brummie the other day and he said that although Zola has had crap results the football is much better. Rowett was a bit dogged in his approach but that was the squad he had. They are learning to accept Zola now as they see what is happening. He did not have a bad word to say about GR though but thinks in the long term they will be better off with Zola. Game of opinions though. Morris has to give him time. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, David said:

For every appointment a poll on this forum the majority were happy with. 

Pearson the worst manager we've had in years was called for everyday during Wassall's time here, the messiah that Hourihane would have been had we signed him.

If you see Sages sack or not thread, the majority were behind sacking Pearson saying we should never have appointed him, now he's a statistic to bash Mel with. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

IMG_1814.PNG

I never wanted Pearson. I knew Clement's approach would be difficult coming from Madrid to work with limited players. I pretty much called out all of our signings from 2015 onwards prior to them joining as inexplicable and not coinciding with our current playing squad at the time. I was wrong on Carson as I didn't think he'd be much of ab improvement, and I understood the butterfield one as a like-for-like linking midfielder similar to Hughes. I blame Mel for our decline, though as he's not a football man, it's arguably more the fault of those around him who are advising him. They should be football men, evidently they are just as clueless. He should have hired me as an advisor, and that's without hindsight.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I never wanted Pearson. I knew Clement's approach would be difficult coming from Madrid to work with limited players. I pretty much called out all of our signings from 2015 onwards prior to them joining as inexplicable and not coinciding with our current playing squad at the time. I was wrong on Carson as I didn't think he'd be much of ab improvement, and I understood the butterfield one as a like-for-like linking midfielder similar to Hughes. I blame Mel for our decline, though as he's not a football man, it's arguably more the fault of those around him who are advising him. They should be football men, evidently they are just as clueless. He should have hired me as an advisor, and that's without hindsight.

Yep I saw, I also agree, I would have appointed you as manager, coach, scout, DOF and chairman, too many chefs and all that, how Mel has overlooked you time and time again is beyond me

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

If Sam Rush is advising Mel on which manager to hire then Mel has made a mistake right there. Sam is not a football man. He bats for the other side when it comes to the shape of balls.

Sam may be great at what he does on a day to day basis, dealing with contracts, agents and stuff like that. That's his expertise.

Me and you have the same qualifications as him when it comes to selecting football managers though.

But we don't know if Sam is advising.. I know you said if. I have met Sam and from the conversation we had, Pearson would have not been one I would have thought he would have thrown in the ring..

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. 

I will say it again, IF Mel is doing as you say, it is still Mel's mistake. I have always questioned who advises him.

1 minute ago, David said:

Yep I saw, I also agree, I would have appointed you as manager, coach, scout, DOF and chairman, too many chefs and all that, how Mel has overlooked you time and time again is beyond me

I can't coach, as having ideas and implementing them are very different.

I couldn't manage, as no matter how much sense I talk, back in 2015 they were never going to hire a 26-year-old with no management, in any business, experience.

Chairman, nah. Lack the experience especially when it comes to off-field matters.

DOF, scout or on-pitch related advisor, absoloutely. Get me on the recruitment team. I see how systems work, how you need specific player types to form a functioning team. Evidently I know more than our previous recruitment teams over the past few years. I may be arrogant in saying it, but I do. 

My question is for how long and in what roles do you become a footballing person that can advise?

well? What's the magical length of time

every person on this site has offered advice, some multiple times a day saying the same thing over and over and over again

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

DOF, scout or on-pitch related advisor, absoloutely. Get me on the recruitment team. I see how systems work, how you need specific player types to form a functioning team. Evidently I know more than our previous recruitment teams over the past few years. I may be arrogant in saying it, but I do. 

You may create the best shopping list ever but the manager gets it say yes, would imagine it can be a frustrating job recommending players to see them dismissed. 

Scout would make an interesting autobiography.

31 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I couldn't manage, as no matter how much sense I talk, back in 2015 they were never going to hire a 26-year-old with no management, in any business, experience.

Chairman, nah. Lack the experience especially when it comes to off-field matters.

I think you're underselling yourself. 

49 minutes ago, David said:

His point's valid though.

Our recruitment really has been that bad and there were folk pointing it out at the time. 

Some on here genuinely would have done a better job. 

56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What's the minimum salary you'd be looking for to relocate from Mexico?

Or are you so good you could work from home?

If i were Mel, I'd take you up on your offer, genuinely.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What's the minimum salary you'd be looking for to relocate from Mexico?

Or are you so good you could work from home?

If i were Mel, I'd take you up on your offer, genuinely.

It would be an incredibly difficult choice to relocate back to England in all honesty. I love life over here, despite being relatively poor and stuck behind the times.

I could do up a presentation from home. The players have to fit a system, and our recruitment team now has to know which direction GR wants to go and the players brought in must fit into his ideas/philosophy.

I actually think we're at a stage now where our squad is so unbalanced, GR basically has licence to start from fresh and has a whole summer to identify exactly what he needs.

We certainly need a right-footed left winger, an attacking midfielder who can press hard off the ball, a reliable holding midfielder who can pass forwards and an improvement at RB.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hang on, you're not actually being serious are you? Surely not.

16 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Hang on, you're not actually being serious are you? Surely not.

I see where he's coming from though.

I reckon anybody on here who watched Clough and McClaren's teams and who understood what they were about would have recruited better than whoever did in Summer 2015 and January 2016. It really was that bad. 

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It would be an incredibly difficult choice to relocate back to England in all honesty. I love life over here, despite being relatively poor and stuck behind the times.

I could do up a presentation from home. The players have to fit a system, and our recruitment team now has to know which direction GR wants to go and the players brought in must fit into his ideas/philosophy.

I actually think we're at a stage now where our squad is so unbalanced, GR basically has licence to start from fresh and has a whole summer to identify exactly what he needs.

We certainly need a right-footed left winger, an attacking midfielder who can press hard off the ball, a reliable holding midfielder who can pass forwards and an improvement at RB.

Wouldn't that limit your scouting to who's on TV? 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

So have I.. Was not convinced when he came in, nothing has changed that.. No choice but to go with it and see how it pans out. Local boy makes good in the gaming world, has nothing to do with him being an owner of a football club.. Makes no sense to assume that because he was successful on a previous enterprise, that he will by default, be so here.

He has to get this right soon..

Was talking to a Brummie the other day and he said that although Zola has had crap results the football is much better. Rowett was a bit dogged in his approach but that was the squad he had. They are learning to accept Zola now as they see what is happening. He did not have a bad word to say about GR though but thinks in the long term they will be better off with Zola. Game of opinions though. Morris has to give him time. 

Just a tad of humility wouldn't hurt from him..... just feels like it's a "I know best" situation with him..... 

Agreed, he has to get it right this time..... but I said that last time, and the time before that..... if Rowett doesn't get the season..... then I'm afraid to say he will never will......

Crying out for stability..... crying out for something positive, crying out for a decent atmosphere within the club, crying out for some respect..... above all else for me personally (you know what I'm like my story etc) some humility. 

29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Thought that's what we've all been saying we've needed for several seasons.

i also thought that's what weimann Butterfield Johnson and Baird were. Sadly we've just made them all look crap with poor managers philosophies

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Put a figure on it.

Add on extra for heating and Sol, you can always live in Codnor and commute if the feeling of isolation and poverty is such a draw!

Archived