Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

2 hours ago, sage said:

The sad thing is Bris probably would have made a better job of Derby's recruitment over the last 3 years. 

Those of you who are deriding Bris for stating this are missing the point. It isn't about great and knowledgeable Bris is, it is about how poor we have been. There are many fans who would have done a better job. It is hard to see how anyone with the remotest knowledge of football could have done any worse. That isn't saying a fan should be given this job it just means we have been inept.

Name me another football league club whose recruitment has been worse than Derby's over the last 5 windows.

I don't think many would argue that the players we signed have not turned out to be great but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Look back through the transfer threads and see how many people were calling out these signings when they were made.

From what I can see Bris doubted Camara on his stats and failed to see where Johnson would fit in but his translation of that is he knew all of the signings were poor before they played for us....I think that might be why people are deriding him.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

See if you can guess where these quotes came from:-

On Camara "He is obviously a good player, his side are 3rd in ligue 1 after all...Ligue 1 is a very good place to unearth talents and the are generally quite cheap"

On Butterfield/Johnson "Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson...oh my goodness" (Silly emoji face)

What does that actually prove? It's not my job to find players. I'm saying that if it WAS I'd spend a lot more time trying to find players as some hidden gems rather than sign players that anyone could have found. 

Do you happen to be a club employee because you come across as being VERY defensive?

3 hours ago, sage said:

The sad thing is Bris probably would have made a better job of Derby's recruitment over the last 3 years. 

Those of you who are deriding Bris for stating this are missing the point. It isn't about great and knowledgeable Bris is, it is about how poor we have been. There are many fans who would have done a better job. It is hard to see how anyone with the remotest knowledge of football could have done any worse. That isn't saying a fan should be given this job it just means we have been inept.

Name me another football league club whose recruitment has been worse than Derby's over the last 5 windows.

Which manager would we have been recruited the players for? That's the problem.

As much as people blame the signings, we have a squad assembled from several managers now, doesn't surprise me not many have worked out.

There hasn't been any consistentcy in the formation or style of play, many have been shoehorned into positions to fill a gap. 

Bradley Johnson has been LB, LW, CM, DM, was getting hammered early on until he managed to nail down a position.

You can argue the recruitment team didn't cover the positions or type of player needed but as we've been told, the manager has the final say in signings so even if we think we could compile a better list, doesn't mean you would see them in a Derby shirt. 

Were the recruitment team sent out for specific players, was they given a list of criteria or did they have total freedom? Which players were on the list that managers rejected, without all this I find it difficult to point the finger of blame to one specific area.

Recruitment/manager for the signings

Exectutive team that decide on a manager and his departure.

No scapegoats, stick them all together as they are all equally responsible given the information we do know. It hasn't been good enough.

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What does that actually prove? It's not my job to find players. I'm saying that if it WAS I'd spend a lot more time trying to find players as some hidden gems rather than sign players that anyone could have found. 

Do you happen to be a club employee because you come across as being VERY defensive?

You tell everyone how brilliant you would be at recruitment and how bad the club is, yet you've agreed with pretty much all of the signings, so what makes you think you would be so great at it?

No, I am not a club employee and I am not being defensive, I've agreed that the recruitment has turned out to be poor. Just pointing out how ridiculous some posters claims are and how easy it is to judge players in hindsight.

I think we should have a flag on posts that you click if you've been drinking. That way I can judge better what to make of some of the comments. It seems clear that a lot of alcohol was consumed during the making of this thread. When I've had a few I am invinsible and nobody can say I'm wrong about anything. Oh, and I can run the entire organisation I work for single handedly with my eyes closed after a few glasses of red wine. 

11 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think we should have a flag on posts that you click if you've been drinking. That way I can judge better what to make of some of the comments. It seems clear that a lot of alcohol was consumed during the making of this thread. When I've had a few I am invinsible and nobody can say I'm wrong about anything. Oh, and I can run the entire organisation I work for single handedly with my eyes closed after a few glasses of red wine. 

Show off.

I can do it better than you though.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You tell everyone how brilliant you would be at recruitment and how bad the club is, yet you've agreed with pretty much all of the signings, so what makes you think you would be so great at it?

No, I am not a club employee and I am not being defensive, I've agreed that the recruitment has turned out to be poor. Just pointing out how ridiculous some posters claims are and how easy it is to judge players in hindsight.

I would have done better than what we have signed. I may have agreed with the signings but that doesn't mean I would have signed them myself. Anyone can sign the likes of Johnson and Shackell. It doesn't take a genius or brilliant scouting to identify those players because they have won promotion(despite them not fitting the philosophy). If I did that job full time I'd take pride in my work and try to I would try to identify some hidden gems, whether abroad or from the lower leagues. Just because Albentosa and Camara didn't work out doesn't mean that the foreign market is useless. I just assumed Camara would be good because he played for Angers, who have a good habit of producing players. However, if I WAS going to do the scouting properly full time like any reasonable person I would identify whether they would be a valuable addition to the squad. Have you heard of Steve Walsh and Monchi? Both take pride in their work in identifying hidden gems which the club then can sell on for a profit. Leicester have done it with the likes of Kante and Sevilla have done it for years and years. That's not my job but if it was then I would carefully identify players. This is why we need a clear director of football and no not someone like Harry Redknapp just because he is good friends with Mel Morris.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I would have done better than what we have signed. I may have agreed with the signings but that doesn't mean I would have signed them myself. Anyone can sign the likes of Johnson and Shackell. It doesn't take a genius or brilliant scouting to identify those players because they have won promotion(despite them not fitting the philosophy). If I did that job full time I'd take pride in my work and try to I would try to identify some hidden gems, whether abroad or from the lower leagues. Just because Albentosa and Camara didn't work out doesn't mean that the foreign market is useless. I just assumed Camara would be good because he played for Angers, who have a good habit of producing players. However, if I WAS going to do the scouting properly full time like any reasonable person I would identify whether they would be a valuable addition to the squad. Have you heard of Steve Walsh and Monchi? Both take pride in their work in identifying hidden gems which the club then can sell on for a profit. Leicester have done it with the likes of Kante and Sevilla have done it for years and years. That's not my job but if it was then I would carefully identify players. This is why we need a clear director of football and no not someone like Harry Redknapp just because he is good friends with Mel Morris.

So why did you not raise the issue about these signings making us 'unbalanced' at the time?

I'd make a great CEO of ICI. I'd spend all my time concentrating on making the company a success and financially prosperous. I'd identify top ways of making money on new ventures and maximising revenue on current streams.

It's easy, this game. Fantasy business league.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So why did you not raise the issue about these signings making us 'unbalanced' at the time?

You're completely misunderstanding my posts. I'm saying hypothetically if I was doing that role I'd make it my duty to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the players and whether they would suit the squad. The only way you're going to be able to do that is to watch the players play multiple times times live, talking to ex managers, former teammates etc to dissect their personality. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that and most importantly that is not my job but if you're willing to pay for my trips around the world....

That's not applicable to myself but I'm sure if you gave members on here the role to come up with 20-25 players for each position with the so called premier league resources that our club has then they would come up with some better suggestions than what we have signed previously. Bearing in mind that would be a full time job and you would have the transfer windows breaks in between to work tirelessly at your job. Doesn't Steve McClaren's son have a role doing a similar sort of thing? 

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You're completely misunderstanding my posts. I'm saying hypothetically if I was doing that role I'd make it my duty to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the players and whether they would suit the squad. The only way you're going to be able to do that is to watch the players play multiple times times live, talking to ex managers, former teammates etc to dissect their personality. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that and most importantly that is not my job but if you're willing to pay for my trips around the world....

I'm not misunderstanding you at all. You obviously watch alot of football. Therefore if you are saying that our signings are good I would expect that you have taken into consideration about how they will improve our squad rather than if they have played well at previous clubs.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

You should write a book with insight like that.

Couldn't be much worse insight than what our recruitment team are giving to the board upstairs. Hey look I've identified this hidden gem called Bradley Johnson from norwich. Please don't leak this out Mel because other teams might poach this hidden gem from us. Oh look let's spend 3.5 million on 1/2 a season wonder Nick Blackman boss despite him being a free at the end of the season.

Just now, McLovin said:

That's not applicable to myself but I'm sure if you gave members on here the role to come up with 20-25 players for each position with the so called premier league resources that our club has then they would come up with some better suggestions than what we have signed previously. Bearing in mind that would be a full time job and you would have the transfer windows breaks in between to work tirelessly at your job. Doesn't Steve McClaren's son have a role doing a similar sort of thing? 

And we would never know if they would have been better than what we signed without a little thing called hindsight or if they would have joined, clubs agree to sell, contract agreed. 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You see, now you've got me confused.

I've done a bit of digging, only a little bit (but will do some more if required).

On the signing of Jacob Butterfield you said "He's a quality ball-playing midfielder, ideal for us".

On the signing of Bradley Johnson you said "I know something, and its very good news".

Now you tell us all that we have a very unbalanced midfield? 

Possibly my favourite post of the year. 

Busted!

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You see, now you've got me confused.

I've done a bit of digging, only a little bit (but will do some more if required).

On the signing of Jacob Butterfield you said "He's a quality ball-playing midfielder, ideal for us".

On the signing of Bradley Johnson you said "I know something, and its very good news".

Now you tell us all that we have a very unbalanced midfield? 

Possibly my favourite post of the year. 

Busted!

Archived