Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

The bottom line is ... 

Get me Pat Murphys' mobile number and I'll ask him to bank roll my football club...... 

er .... 

His BBC email is easy enough to find, if you'd like to contact him.

19 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

His BBC email is easy enough to find, if you'd like to contact him.

I don't wish to contact him :thumbsup:

He's a journo ... 

Mel Morris is someone who's pumping his own money into the club I love. 

:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

I don't wish to contact him :thumbsup:

He's a journo ... 

Mel Morris is someone who's pumping his own money into the club I love. 

We all pump our money into the club, albeit on a smaller scale.

He obviously has a larger brain than us though, I'd like to see him use it.

38 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, thank God that Pearson did whatever he did because it gave a good excuse. He might go on to be a success next but here... it just did not fit. Ironic after what was said in his press conference on day 1.

Obviously you was at the first meeting and it was similar to the second. Mel gives his reasons and you can understand them. Always you can see that he's very very serious about making Derby a success. He isn't here to make money or even make friends. He's here to put Derby back on the radar of Man United and Liverpool. To make sure these teams acknowledge we exist! To command respect in domestic football again.

But that doesn't mean any of us would do things the way he has or agree with him.

To be honest I think he's ok with that. Or he said he is.

No way will he take people making stuff up though as we know. 

I really want us to love him. I really want him to enjoy his time with DCFC. But it's been a very turbulent start. It's a fiery relationship. 

Pleeeeaaaaase let us just steady the ship.

100% agree with you on Rowett too. It's like Clough all over again.

We really wasted that play off final squad. Not just Mel but all of us. Fans put too much pressure on. Mac tinkered too much. Mel got angry too quick. Even luck was against us with injuries. Since then everyone has continued down a bad path. What a football tragedy for Derby. 

Average age of that play-off final team minus Granty and the centre-halves was 23. Ward was the oldest from this group at 28. It's a travesty to me that we never saw that team in the Prem.

We've missed out on some good years as Derby fans for a combination of reasons. Spend that £50,000,000 on that team well and we're in Europe. 

Instead we're worse and in need of a clear out with our fourth change in direction in 18 months. We've somehow managed to get to the point in which I think Clough would be perfect for us. Clough was doing what Mel wanted before Mel was even interested.

I'm bitter as ****.

10 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

This thread is MINCE . 

Agreed, but a few years ago we were virtually Quorn mince, with little fat to trim.

Now we're the sort of crappy mince that Tesco plop in a Cottage pie for one, and hope that the other artificial flavourings mask the film of fat that clings to the roof of your mouth.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hello Nigel.:ph34r:

Seriously though, I totally agree with your post. European football would have been tough but staking a credible mid table status would have been on the cards.

I've always based my European football belief off of the fact we were trying to follow the Southampton and Swansea model and they had both qualified for Europe within three years. 

In my opinion you're always at an advantage if you play your way out of this division as opposed to results football. 

Even if it wasn't to be though, I'd have taken a Bournemouth! 

31 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Agreed, but a few years ago we were virtually Quorn mince, with little fat to trim.

Now we're the sort of crappy mince that Tesco plop in a Cottage pie for one, and hope that the other artificial flavourings mask the film of fat that clings to the roof of your mouth.

If Mel wasn't here ? 

1 hour ago, GerryDaly said:

And why do we need this thread ?? 

I suppose that depends on whether you think it matters if Pat Murphy's claims are true. I think it does because I can't think of a single example of a successful football club where the chairmen gets involved with the players or the football side. For this reason, Murphy's comments were of interest to me, so I thought they might be of interest to other fans.

Your view appears to be that because Morris is our chairman and has put a lot of his own money in (which no-one to disputes and almost all Derby fans are grateful for), he can do no wrong. Would you still think that if he appointed himself manager? I'm not suggesting that's likely - just illustrating that there are some limits to uncritical support.

My concern is simply that if Morris is too involved with the football side, this of itself will prevent us having the success that he's spent the money trying to achieve. it's not intended as negative - just an honest and realistic evaluation of the situation as I see it.

I very much hope that the denials coming out of the club (via David) are accurate and still believe Mel Morris can make a success of his tenure as chairman as long as he lets his managers manage and gives them enough time to deliver success rather than (seemingly) pulling the trigger every time we go on a bad run.

6 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

I suppose that depends on whether you think it matters if Pat Murphy's claims are true. I think it does because I can't think of a single example of a successful football club where the chairmen gets involved with the players or the football side. For this reason, Murphy's comments were of interest to me, so I thought they might be of interest to other fans.

Your view appears to be that because Morris is our chairman and has put a lot of his own money in (which no-one to disputes and almost all Derby fans are grateful for), he can do no wrong. Would you still think that if he appointed himself manager? I'm not suggesting that's likely - just illustrating that there are some limits to uncritical support.

My concern is simply that if Morris is too involved with the football side, this of itself will prevent us having the success that he's spent the money trying to achieve. it's not intended as negative - just an honest and realistic evaluation of the situation as I see it.

I very much hope that the denials coming out of the club (via David) are accurate and still believe Mel Morris can make a success of his tenure as chairman as long as he lets his managers manage and gives them enough time to deliver success rather than (seemingly) pulling the trigger every time we go on a bad run.

Perfect riposte..... 

49 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

And disguise the horse meat.

I think we can all appreciate that being the owner of a football club is anything but straightforward and it is almost exclusively a thankless task.

However it must sting for Mel to see how far his approval rating has dropped in such a short time.

When he first came in, there was a lot of optimism and a lot of fans were taken in by how encouraging and commendable his vision seemed.

He made all the right noises, especially in comparison to GSE who were often accused of being out of touch with the fan base, and a safe but boring pair hands lacking in drive and adventure. What would we give to have GSE back now?

I think even if some realised Mel's plans were fanciful, we were in full support.

However what has transpired just suggests all that Mel knows is success. And when you have been as successful as he has, you become less and less proficient in dealing with or anticipating failure.

But it is almost as if he had forgotten we are a club competing in the Championship where there is no magic formula and there are no guarantees for success and 21 clubs fail to some extent every year.

In boxing, they say everyone has got a plan until they get punched in the face. And it is how Mel has dealt with times of adversity that has set the current tone.

There is no sense of direction or strategic thinking, except for the rather ruthless notion of promotion or bust.

And if that was the strategy outlined at the beginning, I think many of us would be a lot more forgiving.

You can't expect us to be blindly appreciative and grateful to Mel. We didn't ask for a £50 million playing squad, underwater treadmills, and 5 managers in 2 years.

Mel has to take some responsibility that his decision making has been hugely flawed and he has made it difficult for supporters to stay onside.

How can we have faith and conviction in an owner who can't extend the same courtesy to his own managerial appointments?

His initial plans were admirable but the execution has been undermined by what seems to be a bulldozing sense of arrogance, an insatiable thirst for success and ultimately, misguided forward planning.

Even with a 'no excuses policy' and all the backing one might desire, a manager can fail if his superiors fail to hold their nerve at critical moments. 

A manager will always need time and patience to get it right.

It has been sorely lacking.

Archived