Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

While I've read some of this thread and seen both pro & anti SR and Mel comments I'm not sure if when posting about Mel meddling anyone has wondered whether he's trying to do SR's job too? He doesn't seem as effective with Mel in charge.

And as for being appreciative of what Mel has done for the Club, well atm he's not done much has he? #meh

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, LazloW said:

This is getting even more hilarious!! Stop it, please, please stop it! :lol::lol::lol:

What's so funny? The idea that I could have done a better job than our previous recruitment team? The idea that I'm actually correct in what I have written and what I wrote before we signed these players?

I hae been right on my pre-signing analysis of pretty much all of our signings since 2015 bar Carson where I was wrong. I said he wouldn't be an improvement on Grant, but he is better.

Weimann, Johnson, Bent, Pearson's 442... The lot. I have been right on all of it.

You don't have to have played football at a professional level to understand the game. You only have to listen to some of the so-called expert ex-pros who talk absolute nonsense as proof of this.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

DOF, scout or on-pitch related advisor, absoloutely. Get me on the recruitment team. I see how systems work, how you need specific player types to form a functioning team. Evidently I know more than our previous recruitment teams over the past few years. I may be arrogant in saying it, but I do. 

I think you would make a great Scout Bris.

Perhaps you might want to sew this on to your uniform.

IMG_0154.JPG

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What's so funny? The idea that I could have done a better job than our previous recruitment team? The idea that I'm actually correct in what I have written and what I wrote before we signed these players?

I hae been right on my pre-signing analysis of pretty much all of our signings since 2015 bar Carson where I was wrong. I said he wouldn't be an improvement on Grant, but he is better.

Weimann, Johnson, Bent, Pearson's 442... The lot. I have been right on all of it.

You don't have to have played football at a professional level to understand the game. You only have to listen to some of the so-called expert ex-pros who talk absolute nonsense as proof of this.

What's so funny?

How about the lack of humility, the arrogance, the absurdity that you believe anybody (other than McLovin) takes you seriously, your absolute insistence that you are right 100% of the time (sorry, make that 98%, I've just seen your comment on Carson, 'ow very 'umble of you to admit it, sire), the way you think you know what was in the mind of every manager and the thought that anybody would employ you as a scout.  I'm sorry, but not much that you write about players or systems or any other pseudo-scientific nonsense shows any greater insight than many other people on here. It really isn't as clever as you think it is. The only difference is the tone in which you write things and the 100% conviction that only your opinion matters.  Also, if you write that every player we sign will be crap, then you're probably going to be right more often than you're wrong in the context of us playing Championship football with generally average players.  Notwithstanding this, if the only opinion that counts is your own and only you are able to determine what is good, average or bad then you are bound to think that you're always right about everything.  How can you ever be wrong?

That is what is funny.

27 minutes ago, LazloW said:

What's so funny?

How about the lack of humility, the arrogance, the absurdity that you believe anybody (other than McLovin) takes you seriously, your absolute insistence that you are right 100% of the time (sorry, make that 98%, I've just seen your comment on Carson, 'ow very 'umble of you to admit it, sire), the way you think you know what was in the mind of every manager and the thought that anybody would employ you as a scout.  I'm sorry, but not much that you write about players or systems or any other pseudo-scientific nonsense shows any greater insight than many other people on here. It really isn't as clever as you think it is. The only difference is the tone in which you write things and the 100% conviction that only your opinion matters.  Also, if you write that every player we sign will be crap, then you're probably going to be right more often than you're wrong in the context of us playing Championship football with generally average players.  Notwithstanding this, if the only opinion that counts is your own and only you are able to determine what is good, average or bad then you are bound to think that you're always right about everything.  How can you ever be wrong?

That is what is funny.

I'm sorry but remind me again of the great success stories of our signings since 2015... We came 3rd in 2013/14, and for the most part of 2014/15 we looked good for automatic promotion until numerous injuries to key players and a failure to plan/replace them in January 2015.

Since then, we're now some way off the playoffs having spent some £40m at least in terms of fees and wages on new personnel who has only presided in taking us backwards.

We're now lumbered with an unbalanced squad with unmotivated players on bloated wages. How is that possible considering our position following the QPR defeat in the summer of 2014?

It's possible because our recruitment team since then has done a truely terrible job. One which you'd expect from a complete novice with very little football knowledge, not one from a professional team.

I have given plenty of reasons, before we actually signed these players, or reasons why we shouldn't have signed them. Ive been right on all of them bar Carson.

Why though? I'm some laughable, arrogant nobody posting on the internet as you say. So please explain. How is it I've been proven correct on pretty much all of them? What's so laughable about that?

I don't know what's in the mind of every manager. Where have I said I do? I know how Clement coached the Madrid side, and I knew how Pearson sets his teams up in terms of playing style. That's basic stuff.

Also I haven't written that everybody we sign will be crap. Recently I have, because how many of the last 12 players we've signed have actually fit in with the system Nigel Clough finally set in place here? 

I've mentioned many times before. You don't have to buy great Championship players to form a great Championship team. It's all about round pegs and round holes. How is it that our recruitment team doesn't know this?

The idea of a system or philosophy is vitally important in football. If you can't comprehend this or think it's a load of hogwash, then sadly there is little point in trying to explain my point to you cause we will never agree on it.

I'm all open to opinions. I value a number of members' opinions on here. The likes of @cannable, @Alpha and @sage often explain footballing matters far better than I do. 

I'm 100% convinced I'm right in terms of my opinion on systems and club philosophies. I'm 100% convinced I'm right in that the players we've bought over the past 24 months haven't adhered to that.

I'm sorry I'm so blunt on that, but I'm extremely passionate on that side of the game and I find it a great shame that Derby have strayed away from a system we had in place two years ago. It riles me what has happened to this club over the past two years. 

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm sorry but remind me again of the great success stories of our signings since 2015... We came 3rd in 2013/14, and for the most part of 2014/15 we looked good for automatic promotion until numerous injuries to key players and a failure to plan/replace them in January 2015.

Since then, we're now some way off the playoffs having spent some £40m at least in terms of fees and wages on new personnel who has only presided in taking us backwards.

We're now lumbered with an unbalanced squad with unmotivated players on bloated wages. How is that possible considering our position following the QPR defeat in the summer of 2014?

It's possible because our recruitment team since then has done a truely terrible job. One which you'd expect from a complete novice with very little football knowledge, not one from a professional team.

I have given plenty of reasons, before we actually signed these players, or reasons why we shouldn't have signed them. Ive been right on all of them bar Carson.

Why though? I'm some laughable, arrogant nobody posting on the internet as you say. So please explain. How is it I've been proven correct on pretty much all of them? What's so laughable about that?

I don't know what's in the mind of every manager. Where have I said I do? I know how Clement coached the Madrid side, and I knew how Pearson sets his teams up in terms of playing style. That's basic stuff.

Also I haven't written that everybody we sign will be crap. Recently I have, because how many of the last 12 players we've signed have actually fit in with the system Nigel Clough finally set in place here? 

I've mentioned many times before. You don't have to buy great Championship players to form a great Championship team. It's all about round pegs and round holes. How is it that our recruitment team doesn't know this?

The idea of a system or philosophy is vitally important in football. If you can't comprehend this or think it's a load of hogwash, then sadly there is little point in trying to explain my point to you cause we will never agree on it.

I'm all open to opinions. I value a number of members' opinions on here. The likes of @cannable, @Alpha and @sage often explain footballing matters far better than I do. 

I'm 100% convinced I'm right in terms of my opinion on systems and club philosophies. I'm 100% convinced I'm right in that the players we've bought over the past 24 months haven't adhered to that.

I'm sorry I'm so blunt on that, but I'm extremely passionate on that side of the game and I find it a great shame that Derby have strayed away from a system we had in place two years ago. It riles me what has happened to this club over the past two years. 

You see, now you've got me confused.

I've done a bit of digging, only a little bit (but will do some more if required).

On the signing of Jacob Butterfield you said "He's a quality ball-playing midfielder, ideal for us".

On the signing of Bradley Johnson you said "I know something, and its very good news".

Now you tell us all that we have a very unbalanced midfield? 

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

The worrying thing is that Bris in spot on and this is a major problem. I could have identified better players if you gave me a budget of 30-50 million. That's not me being arrogant but it's worrying that a novice like myself would most likely have done better. You have to ask what our recruitment team are doing with their lives. If I was doing that role full time I would spend my whole time and carefully assess which players to buy rather than buy players that any of us could have identified like Johnson, Shackell etc. We need to utilise the lower league and foreign market a lot better 

See if you can guess where these quotes came from:-

On Camara "He is obviously a good player, his side are 3rd in ligue 1 after all...Ligue 1 is a very good place to unearth talents and the are generally quite cheap"

On Butterfield/Johnson "Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson...oh my goodness" (Silly emoji face)

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You see, now you've got me confused.

I've done a bit of digging, only a little bit (but will do some more if required).

On the signing of Jacob Butterfield you said "He's a quality ball-playing midfielder, ideal for us".

On the signing of Bradley Johnson you said "I know something, and its very good news".

Now you tell us all that we have a very unbalanced midfield? 

I was covering the Bradley Johnson rumour as part of my work then. Go read my comments on him once he signed laer that evening, I stated that I couldn't see where he fit in. 

As for Butterfield, he is a quality ball-playing midfielder. He came in as a linking midfielder as a replacement for the injured Hughes. Unfortunately for him, Hughes is better.

On Butterfield he seemed a much better player at Barnsley than he is showing now, It seems like he's too shy in our dressing room and is too happy to pass on responsibility.

His performance against Brighton was disgusting. Perhaps I'm being extremely harsh and McClaren instructed him to pass backwards or sideways all night, but I felt he took the cowardly option and acted like a complete passenger with the ball. 

He was ideal as Hughes' stand-in replacement. I still see him a solid squad player and I don't think I've stated anywhere that he isn't.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I was covering the Bradley Johnson rumour as part of my work then. Go read my comments on him once he signed, I stated that I couldn't see where he fit in. 

As for Butterfield, he is a quality ball-playing midfielder. He came in as a linking midfielder as a replacement for the injured Hughes. Unfortunately for him, Hughes is better.

On Butterfield he seemed a much better player at Barnsley than he is showing now, It seems like he's too shy in our dressing room and is too happy to pass on responsibility.

His performance against Brighton was disgusting. Perhaps I'm being extremely harsh and McClaren instructed him to pass backwards or sideways all night, but I felt he took the cowardly option and acted like a complete passenger with the ball. 

He was ideal as Hughes' stand-in replacement. I still see him a solid squad player and I don't think I've stated anywhere that he isn't.

So if signing Bradley Johnson was good news and Butterfield was ideal for us then that is not you identifying poor recruitment, it is you passing judgement on them after you have seen them play for us.

In the balance of fairness you did say you was unconvinced by Camaras stats. 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So if signing Bradley Johnson was good news and Butterfield was ideal for us then that is not you identifying poor recruitment, it is you passing judgement on them after you have seen them play for us.

In the balance of fairness you did say you was unconvinced by Camaras stats. 

Most were following the Bradley Johnson thread on deadline day. I was told he was coming. What was I going to say? Bad new chaps, Bradley Johnson is signing for a club record fee! 

I gave my opinion on him later that evening, before he even kicked a ball for us. I said I couldn't see how he'd fit in. Below is what I wrote on it.

"I've not really had a chance to actually comment on this deal.

I think it's quite risky. He's a talented player, obviously, and the club record deal pales in comparison to what you can earn by getting to the Premier League.

But we've spent a lot of money this summer. Butterfield I could understand as he's a possession-based player, but I'm struggling to think of where Bradley Johnson is going to fit in.

A midfield two of Thorne and Butterfield and Johnson playing slightly further forward. Or do we play 4-3-3 and put Johnson on the left. Being left footed, I'd have thought he would be better positionedd towards the right and able to cut in and shoot - but don't we have Ince for that?"

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Most were following the Bradley Johnson thread on deadline day. I was told he was coming. What was I going to say? Bad new chaps, Bradley Johnson is signing for a club record fee! 

I gave my opinion on him later that evening, before he even kicked a ball for us. I said I couldn't see how he'd fit in. Below is what I wrote on it.

"I've not really had a chance to actually comment on this deal.

I think it's quite risky. He's a talented player, obviously, and the club record deal pales in comparison to what you can earn by getting to the Premier League.

But we've spent a lot of money this summer. Butterfield I could understand as he's a possession-based player, but I'm struggling to think of where Bradley Johnson is going to fit in.

A midfield two of Thorne and Butterfield and Johnson playing slightly further forward. Or do we play 4-3-3 and put Johnson on the left. Being left footed, I'd have thought he would be better positionedd towards the right and able to cut in and shoot - but don't we have Ince for that?"

Yes I was going to post that up but appears you beat me to it.

On Blackman you seem to suggest he is a good player but can only really play on the right side of a 3 but we already have Ince there. Assume that means good back up to Ince, so not sure how that fits in with bad recruitment. 

On Weimann you suggested he was signed because we had "pinpointed him because he suits our system, our style of play". Once again not sure how that meets the definition of bad recruitment.

16 hours ago, David said:

For every appointment a poll on this forum the majority were happy with. 

Pearson the worst manager we've had in years was called for everyday during Wassall's time here, the messiah that Hourihane would have been had we signed him.

If you see Sages sack or not thread, the majority were behind sacking Pearson saying we should never have appointed him, now he's a statistic to bash Mel with. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

IMG_1814.PNG

Me and three others then.

The sad thing is Bris probably would have made a better job of Derby's recruitment over the last 3 years. 

Those of you who are deriding Bris for stating this are missing the point. It isn't about great and knowledgeable Bris is, it is about how poor we have been. There are many fans who would have done a better job. It is hard to see how anyone with the remotest knowledge of football could have done any worse. That isn't saying a fan should be given this job it just means we have been inept.

Name me another football league club whose recruitment has been worse than Derby's over the last 5 windows.

2 hours ago, sage said:

The sad thing is Bris probably would have made a better job of Derby's recruitment over the last 3 years. 

Those of you who are deriding Bris for stating this are missing the point. It isn't about great and knowledgeable Bris is, it is about how poor we have been. There are many fans who would have done a better job. It is hard to see how anyone with the remotest knowledge of football could have done any worse. That isn't saying a fan should be given this job it just means we have been inept.

Name me another football league club whose recruitment has been worse than Derby's over the last 5 windows.

Aston Villa

Archived