Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

8 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

In answer to original question. Yes he will.. Yes he should. A summer to bring in some fresh names.  The  injured players and Martin back and we will do well.

As fans we have to change things next season and not assume we have the right to go up and win every game 5-0. 

Another manager with different ideas and different players again won't help at all. 

Again with the Chris Martin s##t. Chris Martin will not transform this team. Nor will Craig Forsyth who has been elevated way beyond his ability by some just because he's out injured. Martin hasn't done it for us in 2 years. Despite Pearson's style or personality there's a reason he ditched Martin and I don't believe it was all down to formations or tactics. Martin is well down the pecking order of strikers in this division now. Also, he's slow and has questionable fitness, that's why the Fulham manager said they'd be sending him back in better condition. I get why people like him but I reckon he'd fit in perfectly to this team at the moment, bang average and going nowhere fast.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He not only won't be here next season, he won't be here next week. Giving him a short leash contract was a way of nervously testing his abilities. He's been found seriously wanting - a manager with no footballing philosophy.

Any truly good manager must improve the players, stabilise, and turn fortunes around in a fairly short time. If they can't they aren't that good. He's about as poor as they come.

Big decision has to be made at the end of the season, Mac has 12 MTS left on his contract, do you let him loose for the summer to ship out and bring in what he thinks he needs, (did this at Forest and was a major disator) and see how it goes and if we have progressed a new contract if we havnt we don't renew, the decisions this summer could well shape a future

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Lol. One player, who has scored quite a few goals, is the cause of the so-called decline since Nigel left (a decline that has seen us finish higher in the league than at any point under Nigel and we'll probably finish higher again this year even though we've been pretty crap for most of it). 

FWIW I was a huge fan of Nigel and thought it was wrong to sack him. I even agree that if he'd stayed and got the backing others have since he left, then I think we would've gone up. But we can't keep repainting history. We are in a much better state than we were under him, even if that isn't saying much at the minute.

I think you have misunderstood what I meant. The team we had when we got to the play off final was a good spirited team. They did click and played good exciting football. SM was the manager but it was mainly NC side with a couple of loans brought in. 

My opinion is that things started to take a turn for the worse when we brought in Bent and I agree he has scored some goals for us but I don't look to him to change the game. I reckon we could get a player on lower wages than him to have more impact on a game than he does. Then nearly all our other signing just haven't set the team on fire. I am using the word team because you don't need the best players or goalscorers to have a good team. 

We had a good team when we got to the play off final. A lot of the additions we have made haven't made us a better team and my opinion is that this started when we signed Bent.

The only exception is Ince but it has taken some time to get there with him.

19 hours ago, Kernow said:

Before I start, this isn't a McClaren out thread. I think if we want a good chance to actually go up, we can't go chopping and changing frequently, and regardless of how you feel about Mac, this is the choice we've made going forward.

However, my question is, do you think we will actually stick with him? Each manager Mel has hired has had a long term goal at the end yet have all been cut extremely short if Morris isn't impressed with what he's seeing. And let's be honest, he can't be very happy with what he is seeing now. The winning run aside, has there been a difference in performance? I don't even think McClaren could use that winning run as a bargaining tool if he was called in for talks. We've been on good form in each of the last four seasons yet inconsistency has seen us blow it every single time.

With a few decent managers out there at the moment and looking for work, I really would not be surprised if Morris started having a look now. If McClaren was sacked after the final game of the season, would you be surprised and/or concerned?

Surprised? No unfortunately.

I've always been a McClaren enthusiast (yes, I have consistently argued that, while McClaren made mistakes in leaving for Newcastle, his biggest mistake was not leaving in January when he was first offered the job and trying too hard to do the right thing by Derby; unlike virtually every other manager imaginable in the same circumstances, he put the bigger job at risk by wanting to repay Derby by getting us promoted...only to have Mel Morris- and Mel alone, mind you, as the rest of the Board at least acquiesced - go to war over what he saw as an act of betrayal....but let's not dig up that particular putrid carcass all over again..) but was concerned by his reappointment.

Not, I emphasise, because I didn't welcome him back as the best man for the job but because I suspected Mac started with a trust deficit with Mel and many Derby fans, and that it would become an excuse for an "attack Mac" mess as soon as a few results went against us.

Concerned? Yes and no TBH.

As I said, I always expected the mob to start baying for Mac's blood even more quickly than they did for Clement's and for Pearson's....which is pretty remarkable when you think about it.

20 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Shouldn't be here next week after that, terrible terrible tactical mistakes. Knew from the lineup we were bollocksed there, yet hell blame the shape 

Who should he have played that would have made any difference.

We have one midfielder capable of bringing a bit of balance back into the team and he was out injured.

20 hours ago, YouRams said:

We'd be a laughing stock if he isn't plus lose even more money. I'd give him another role head of coaching or director of football and look to get another manager. Wagner from Huddersfield would be my first choice.

Why would you go for Wagner out of interest.

What are his philosophies on how a club should be run and how does that align with Mels vision?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

He not only won't be here next season, he won't be here next week. Giving him a short leash contract was a way of nervously testing his abilities. He's been found seriously wanting - a manager with no footballing philosophy.

Any truly good manager must improve the players, stabilise, and turn fortunes around in a fairly short time. If they can't they aren't that good. He's about as poor as they come.

Or maybe he is a manager with a footballing philosophy (as already demonstrated) but without the players to implement it.

If you think he has not improved any of our players you are the game in a different way to me.

Carson, Keogh, Johnson, Ince and Bent have all improved under Mac

Its a fickle business though - I do agree that constantly changing managers does nothing but harm and we have been doing this way too often since Mel took over. But then you have to ask yourself are you 100% sure that the club is safe in Mac's hands to have a plan and strategy for next season with a full transfer window?

This will be a bit marmite some will say 100% yes some 100% no..its all about opinions - everyone deserves one even it counters your own. Personally I am far from convinced and his interview after yesterdays match was frankly a joke. But who knows?

One thing for sure - Huddersfield have struggled year after year recently yet this year look a different club - Leeds massively improved as well...so you cant necessarily predict next year..could be crushingly disappointing, could be happy days..

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Who should he have played that would have made any difference.

We have one midfielder capable of bringing a bit of balance back into the team and he was out injured.

Shouldn't have played Bent, should have had Anya on the wing and vydra/Ince in the hole, was never going to work with 2 out and out strikers. I'll admit he was always going to have a bit of an imbalance in midfield without Johnson, but Hughes was always the better call

Been firmly behind Steve McClaren, and in all honesty I still am, but last night was an utter shambles.

I do wonder sometimes if we need a new Nigel Clough. And by that I don't mean some manager from the lower leagues. I mean someone who wants to fight. Wants to prove himself. And someone who has an emotional connection to the club. With Gary Rowett available, I do wonder whether we should make a move.

Either way, whoever the boss is I'll back him. McClaren's post match comments clearly alluded to his awareness that the squad needs an overhaul and that certain members of our team need moving on. Just need Mel to back him. 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Been firmly behind Steve McClaren, and in all honesty I still am, but last night was an utter shambles.

I do wonder sometimes if we need a new Nigel Clough. And by that I don't mean some manager from the lower leagues. I mean someone who wants to fight. Wants to prove himself. And someone who has an emotional connection to the club. With Gary Rowett available, I do wonder whether we should make a move.

Either way, whoever the boss is I'll back him. McClaren's post match comments clearly alluded to his awareness that the squad needs an overhaul and that certain members of our team need moving on. Just need Mel to back him. 

I'll be honest I struggle to understand how anyone could 'recommend' Rowett for the job.

The 2 managerial positions he has held were completely different scenarios to ours and it's not as though he plays a brilliant brand of football.

Not saying he would not be a good choice but without hearing what he had to say about how he would go about the job I don't think there's much to go on.

My worry is Macs had 4 transfer windows and I'm struggling to think of who he brought in that significantly improved the squad and has been better than the person he was replacing. Couple that with the £80 mil he wasted at Newcastle and have Benitez clear out all the crap that was brought in. Then add to that the rubbish he brought in at Forest and I have concerns. if he's given £20-30 mil by Mel will it be spent wisely?

will the player be better than the one he's replacing

will he hold is value at least and hopefully increase.

will he improve whilst here

is he the right player for the position he will play in or versatile enough to adapt.

history shows he will fail. If he's still here after the summer I do hope he gets it right for the first time in a long while.

The club have declined very badly over the last three years since Wembley 2014. Strangely,  since pretty well the date that Mel became owner.

Can you imagine if you had told those fans coming home that day, disappointed but bursting with pride at the way we had performed, looking forward to a bright future,  that :

- in three years time, your strike force would consist of Darren Bent and David Nugent

- that your captain (albeit stand in ) was an individual earning a living as a professional footballer but who was utterly afraid of having a football at his feet and could not be relied upon to pass it more than 10 feet to a teammate.  And with good reason.

- that one of your best players , in George Thorne, had been replaced not once, but twice, by overseas-born , physically slight loanees with no experience of English (let alone Championship) football whatsoever and no affinity at all to Derby County

- that you had loaned out your proven top goalscorer , and to  a promotion rival at that 

- that not one new prospect had come through from the academy to become a regular first teamer , despite huge investment 

- that the club had subsequently spent £20m on four new forwards (Vydra, Blackman, Weimann and Anya) who had mustered less than 10 goals between them in the best part of a season and a half 

- that teams with significantly lower resources, like Barnsley, Preston, Huddersfield,and Burton Albion  would regularly be teaching us football lessons on the pitch

- and all that with the backdrop that the club was now owned by a multi-millionaire, locally born fan, with a lot of previous experience of the club, and who, laudably, has been prepared to plough huge amounts of money into the club and has pretty well guaranteed  its future 

You just couldn't have made it up. 

No wonder the fans are exasperated . They have done their bit ( over 30,000 to watch Barnsley and Burton Albion....) . 

The club now needs to start making some right decisions. 

Personally I don't care if we sack McLaren or replace him. Thats up to the club to decide. Thats their job not mine.

But they better start making some good decisions pretty soon - their track record to date is shocking and embarrassing. 

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'll be honest I struggle to understand how anyone could 'recommend' Rowett for the job.

The 2 managerial positions he has held were completely different scenarios to ours and it's not as though he plays a brilliant brand of football.

Not saying he would not be a good choice but without hearing what he had to say about how he would go about the job I don't think there's much to go on.

You struggle to understand it? Has done a brilliant job with two poor sides. Had Birmingham playing above and beyond their level. Clearly gets the best out of players. Whether or not he'd get the best out of our uninterested, overpaid lumps thought I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Clearly gets the best out of players. Whether or not he'd get the best out of our uninterested, overpaid lumps thought I don't know. 

Isn't that the point, Pearson couldn't, Mac did but is now struggling with them. Why would Rowett get more from them?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Isn't that the point, Pearson couldn't, Mac did but is now struggling with them. Why would Rowett get more from them?

Lets face it,he wouldn't.

We have that initial bounce so beloved by forest fans and then it return to its default.

No,we need to stick with the manager and have a full, thorough clear out and rebuild to Mac's taste.

If it doesn't work by the end of the second season then we will need to think again and would he have had a fair crack of the whip.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would you go for Wagner out of interest.

What are his philosophies on how a club should be run and how does that align with Mels vision?

He's doing wonders with Huddersfield, I like his energy and passion he shows too think he'd be a good fit. Plus he'd have good contacts from his Dortmund days.

Archived