Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But then, none of those were "big signings" except perhaps Albentosa who was doing well in the Spanish top flight before and then after, which gave high hops and completely failed to adjust.

Shotton wasn't great, Warnock was OK cover in the end, just that red in his first game was a bad start.

I don't think the "can't improve the squad" line in January was quite true, perhaps it was more "I can't find better out of the available options and funding I'm being presented with and there's too many not good enough already in the squad"

I don't think these are bad signings either except his introduction of Warnock in that red card Cup game was the beginning of a massive downturn as you say. Note Warnock came in and didn't play. The players were ALL handled incorrectly once they arrived, which is sadly becoming trademark for how we do things.

1 minute ago, Igorwasking said:

The way I see it - whoever the manager is will need to carry out an overhaul in the summer. Mel may as well save his money for that - rather than paying off another manager.

What? Whoever is in charge of rebuilding the squad has to be the right man. We shouldn't keep a manager to save money. 

50 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Would you trust mcclaren with money in the summer then? He wasted 80million at Newcastle and completely ruined forest after 1 summer. We even saw a January here where he brought in shotton, albentosa, and warnock who all subsequently failed. Not to mention this January where he openly stated that he couldn't find the players to improve the squad. Gary monk has shown that you can build a competitive side within 1 summer. I don't think Mac has the ability to build a squad!

Dwight Gayle, Jonjo shelvey and wijnaldum were not a waste of money they just needed time which is what we should give McClaren 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

I don't think these are bad signings either except his introduction of Warnock in that red card Cup game was the beginning of a massive downturn as you say. Note Warnock came in and didn't play. The players were ALL handled incorrectly once they arrived, which is sadly becoming trademark for how we do things.

Lol. I love how you switch tack. If this stick doesn't poke hard enough, throw some stones.

Mac is one of our most successful manager, under difficult circumstances too, in however many decades and you want rid for what reason? You don't like him.

Depends what his brief was when he came back to us.

Move us away from the threat of relegation, which we had under Pearson? This he has achieved and therefore should stay.

Have a tilt at promotion? This he has failed and should therefore go.

I suspect it was the former.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But then, none of those were "big signings" except perhaps Albentosa who was doing well in the Spanish top flight before and then after, which gave high hops and completely failed to adjust.

Shotton wasn't great, Warnock was OK cover in the end, just that red in his first game was a bad start.

I don't think the "can't improve the squad" line in January was quite true, perhaps it was more "I can't find better out of the available options and funding I'm being presented with and there's too many not good enough already in the squad"

Newcastle fans will tell you about joe and Steve Mcclaren's recruitment policy. They may have recouped money but they are playing championship football. I just don't think Mac is the right man. During the 13/14 season the squad was already playing some magnificent football under clough (millwall away, Yeovil away) Steve came in and made a few tweaks that saw us soar up the league. However when he was given a full season we saw a capitulation that broke records. We were top in March and somehow missed the playoffs. This year more of the same. There have been performances where the players have simply lacked effort which is inexcusable, only for Mac to praise the squad's character at full time. With Mac in charge in the summer I can only see the return of Martin and Thorne as being like "new signings" and the squad needing "tweaking." Unfortunately the problems are deep rooted and a new man needs to come in.

14 minutes ago, Ram79 said:

Dwight Gayle, Jonjo shelvey and wijnaldum were not a waste of money they just needed time which is what we should give McClaren 

He can't get players to play for him or the team ... he took Newcastle down you think they should have given him more time? They wouldn't be going back up if he was in charge

9 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Newcastle fans will tell you about joe and Steve Mcclaren's recruitment policy.

Joe McClaren was at Southampton whilst Mac was at Newcastle, it's also been well reported Mac wasn't behind Newcastles signings 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-no-say-newcastles-6587860

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3245124/Newcastle-review-transfer-policy-confirms-manager-Steve-McClaren-summer-signings-fail-shine.html

16 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Depends what his brief was when he came back to us.

Move us away from the threat of relegation, which we had under Pearson? This he has achieved and therefore should stay.

Have a tilt at promotion? This he has failed and should therefore go.

I suspect it was the former.

You're missing the point of what we are after.  We were never going to get relegated let's be honest. His brief was surely to improve the players and get the team playing better football. He sort of did that a bit when he came in but he's now been found wanting. Players are struggling, no one knows if they are in or out, and the football is HIS style - backwards and sideways possession. He acts like he's a victim to what the players want to do. That's a weak weak manager who either can't implement his own plan or who has no plan and then pretends after that he did.

16 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Newcastle fans will tell you about joe and Steve Mcclaren's recruitment policy. They may have recouped money but they are playing championship football. I just don't think Mac is the right man. During the 13/14 season the squad was already playing some magnificent football under clough...

Stopped reading there.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Would you trust mcclaren with money in the summer then? He wasted 80million at Newcastle and completely ruined forest after 1 summer. We even saw a January here where he brought in shotton, albentosa, and warnock who all subsequently failed. Not to mention this January where he openly stated that he couldn't find the players to improve the squad. Gary monk has shown that you can build a competitive side within 1 summer. I don't think Mac has the ability to build a squad!

Wasted £80m? I will ask the question I have asked before, how much money has been recouped on that £80m outlay? Would seem to indicate that they were decent signings.

Albentosa, Shotton and Warnock all failed?

Once again bet outlay was minimal (if not a profit) and all 3 are still playing at the same or a higher level.

I'm sure he could find players to improve the squad, however after £40m outlay in last 18 months maybe MM has put some financial constraints in place?

Who do you think was available in January, at reasonable money, that would have improved the squad?

42 minutes ago, Ninos said:

There's an assumption tucked away in here that either Mcclaren is better than most or that it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Both are incorrect. Reality is that few managers in the world that could have botched Derby up so many times given the resources at his disposal. 

So many times....as in once with his own players in place.

Who's on your shortlist to replace him?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So many times....as in once with his own players in place.

Who's on your shortlist to replace him?

His players? You need to check and see which ones were really his. He brought in some real charlies 

I'd put Chris P in charge until seasons end  and I'd try to lure Ralph Hassenhuttl or someone of that ilk who's tuned in to a policy of young talent combined with an uber modern style of attacking football. But Mel would be well served to get a footballing man of vision in as director too. Moving Mcclaren upstairs would be an even bigger mess.

10 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

So clough had nothing to do with getting to Wembley. Give me a break they were all his players. 

Being 14th in the league and getting spanked at home by Ipswich was hardly brilliant along with the countless away games I came away from thinking 'what the **** was that?!'.

we would never have got promoted with NC, he signed some good players but didn't know how to mould them. 

SM got that team to Wembley, end of.

16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You're missing the point of what we are after.  We were never going to get relegated let's be honest. His brief was surely to improve the players and get the team playing better football. He sort of did that a bit when he came in but he's now been found wanting. Players are struggling, no one knows if they are in or out, and the football is HIS style - backwards and sideways possession. He acts like he's a victim to what the players want to do. That's a weak weak manager who either can't implement his own plan or who has no plan and then pretends after that he did.

Why am I missing the point and who is we?

This season became a write off as soon as Pearson was placed on gardening leave. The We in this scenario, including me, accepted a season in mid table, as an antidote to boom and bust football from the last few years. However the team went on a fantastic run and flirted with the play-offs. You could argue at that point McClaren over achieved on his plan. It is only now we are returning to our current natural level that people are calling him out for having no plan. I still think this season has been a moderate success given where we started from and Steve has to be given time to execute the next stage of his plan.

I am pretty sick of the merry-go-round of mangers. My opinion is mixed about MM but if he sacks SM again then I am petty sure that will be it. You can't make this many mistakes and still take the club forward. 

It's go to the point where i feel MM should stick with SM just to keep some stability at the club. It's all his own doing though. 

Archived