Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

I don't get how we go from beating West Brom in the cup to losing to dross like Blackburn in the league. We clearly have it in us - when all best players fit. For me we have yet again had a rotten season of bad luck with injuries. The sooner GT, Keogh, Fozzy, Martin back the better. I don't buy into all this "players low on confidence BS"..... not having it. It's in there somewhere, Steve Mac just needs to watch a few videos of the build up to Wembley.... that's how to do it. :)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all this chopping and changing managers is not helping anyone. A manager comes in and sends out our top scorer on loan. He brings in a couple of players no where near compatible to the rest of the team who has a couple of players bought by a previous manager who aren't compatible with the team he came to. The only real signs we have shown of being successful is when SM came into the club and picked up a team that had been built over a few years. It was only when substandard players have been added to that team that a slow decline has set in at the club.

This is one of two things IMO. 

1. We massively over achieved in 13/14 season.

2. Our recruitment is well under par and we aren't getting the desired results from the academy. 

8 hours ago, Saturn5 said:

Problem seems to be that since clough every manager has inherited players he didn't necessary want (struggled to get rid of), added his own few players and had very little time to get them to gel into a team.

If Mac was to stay next season will be built on the spine of Carson, Keogh, Thorne, Martin as this has been made clear in the interviews Mac has had. This would divide the fans as there is movement in the Anti Keogh league and the We Hate Martin Crew.

If Mac goes whichever poor sod comes in will have to ship out alot of under performers who appear to be on very high wages and many carry large transfer fees which are unlikely to be recouped. They will also have to bring in youth and be in the top 6 all season, whilst playing exciting attacking football (The Derby Way)

Personally i feel our season finishes on saturday and i hope its on a high, I would like to see Mac given time (2 seasons) but doubt that would happen

If he is to go, Gary Rowett and Mark Warburton would probably be my choices 

Either way we have become the Championships basket case

At least Summer will be alot more exciting than this season has been 

So Roll on May 

Agree with most of this except:

With a team more suited to his tactics next season SM has to reenergise this squad then given until Christmas to show that he still wants to succeed.

Rowett has been put on a pedestal because of the work he did at Burton (over a short period) and at Birmingham with a group of grafters playing differently to the 'Derby Way', employing him would be Pearson Mk II.

Warburton: Fell out with the Brentford owners and left Rangers under a cloud, he seems to be a trainee Billy.

IF SM left I would want us to employ a younger manager with a clear method possibly supported by a DOF, they would need time as this squad is on its last chance next season imo.

Can we all stop saying 'when George Thornes back' 

he wont play more than 5 in a row & will only be good for 50/60 mins at a time before breaking down again

We have a couple of decent players we are waiting on comming back but its chris martin & thorne. Can we let that sink in. The way some are going on you'd think we were waiting on suarez & neymar... wont make difference when theyre back we'll still get beat  

13 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I don't get how we go from beating West Brom in the cup to losing to dross like Blackburn in the league. We clearly have it in us - when all best players fit. For me we have yet again had a rotten season of bad luck with injuries. The sooner GT, Keogh, Fozzy, Martin back the better. I don't buy into all this "players low on confidence BS"..... not having it. It's in there somewhere, Steve Mac just needs to watch a few videos of the build up to Wembley.... that's how to do it. :)

This obsession with certain players fixing us is just silly. Yes we are a bloated poisonous toxic squad but there are diamonds in there - Bryson Hughes Thorne Fozzy Christie Johnson Ince Lowe Zanzala Pearce/Shacks Vydra Anya even JR are all ambitious and capable of being top players. Pearson was too much of a punisher and too rigid in formation to find their best, but you get an inspiring clever manager in who has a philosophy of how to play the game and we would be a major force. Squad needs a good trim though.

This guy needs to go immediately because at this point he can't even get will Hughes to shine for him, which is astounding. And with mcclaren out, the players would get a psychological boost to end the season well, beginning with a forest win. They are praying we keep mcclaren for that game, no doubt about it.

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This guy needs to go immediately because at this point he can't even get will Hughes to shine for him, which is astounding. And with mcclaren out, the players would get a psychological boost to end the season well, beginning with a forest win. They are praying we keep mcclaren for that game, no doubt about it.

I don't agree. He's going through a bad patch all players do. But yeah on to the next one, who you will also hate. But the pattern is the players not being right. It's happened (if it is a pattern) to the last four managers. But even that's silly cos it happens to all teams too.

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This obsession with certain players fixing us is just silly. Yes we are a bloated poisonous toxic squad but there are diamonds in there - Bryson Hughes Thorne Fozzy Christie Johnson Ince Lowe Zanzala Pearce/Shacks Vydra Anya even JR are all ambitious and capable of being top players. Pearson was too much of a punisher and too rigid in formation to find their best, but you get an inspiring clever manager in who has a philosophy of how to play the game and we would be a major force. Squad needs a good trim though.

This obsession with sacking managers in the hope that the next one will fix everything is equally silly.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or ask Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Forest etc....

and Coventry and Notts County. If Mel sacks SM now I will have serious worries about how this club is being run....we will be in danger of becoming a laughing stock, the new Leeds....give him some time.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or ask Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Forest etc....

Would you trust mcclaren with money in the summer then? He wasted 80million at Newcastle and completely ruined forest after 1 summer. We even saw a January here where he brought in shotton, albentosa, and warnock who all subsequently failed. Not to mention this January where he openly stated that he couldn't find the players to improve the squad. Gary monk has shown that you can build a competitive side within 1 summer. I don't think Mac has the ability to build a squad!

36 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Would you trust mcclaren with money in the summer then? He wasted 80million at Newcastle and completely ruined forest after 1 summer. We even saw a January here where he brought in shotton, albentosa, and warnock who all subsequently failed. Not to mention this January where he openly stated that he couldn't find the players to improve the squad. Gary monk has shown that you can build a competitive side within 1 summer. I don't think Mac has the ability to build a squad!

Can't argue with you about Albantosa and Shotton but Warnock wasn't a failure. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

This obsession with sacking managers in the hope that the next one will fix everything is equally silly.

There's an assumption tucked away in here that either Mcclaren is better than most or that it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Both are incorrect. Reality is that few managers in the world that could have botched Derby up so many times given the resources at his disposal. 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Hang on didn't we make profits on Albert and Shotton? Unlike errr you know some of the more recent signings were we to sell!

The £80m at Newcastle, I believe most or more of that was recouped on selling players.

Just now, Ninos said:

Both are incorrect. Reality is that few managers in the world that could have botched Derby up so many times given the resources at his disposal. 

You talk nonsense with nothing to back it up - botched means getting to a PO Final?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But then, none of those were "big signings" except perhaps Albentosa who was doing well in the Spanish top flight before and then after, which gave high hops and completely failed to adjust.

Shotton wasn't great, Warnock was OK cover in the end, just that red in his first game was a bad start.

I don't think the "can't improve the squad" line in January was quite true, perhaps it was more "I can't find better out of the available options and funding I'm being presented with and there's too many not good enough already in the squad"

44 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

At this point, he doesn't have the ability to BUILD, INSPIRE, EDUCATE, or even SELECT a squad. We brought him in on a short leash, it's time to cut the leash.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You talk nonsense with nothing to back it up - botched means getting to a PO Final?

You really want me to list all his botch ups? I think you know them all. He's failed over and over and over and continues to fail.

Archived