Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

5 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Why am I missing the point and who is we?

This season became a write off as soon as Pearson was placed on gardening leave. The We in this scenario, including me, accepted a season in mid table, as an antidote to boom and bust football from the last few years. However the team went on a fantastic run and flirted with the play-offs. You could argue at that point McClaren over achieved on his plan. It is only now we are returning to our current natural level that people are calling him out for having no plan. I still think this season has been a moderate success given where we started from and Steve has to be given time to execute the next stage of his plan.

A success???So he's overachieving is he? Try convincing most DCFC fans Mel or even mac himself that he's overachieved. Incredible.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

now we are returning to our current natural level 

1 win in 10

6 points in 9

I do hope this isn't our natural level.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

What? Whoever is in charge of rebuilding the squad has to be the right man. We shouldn't keep a manager to save money. 

That's kind of my point. I don't think there is anyone (realistic) that is head and shoulders above MCLaren, so I would stick with what we have. He needs a summer transfer window to get his chosen squad together. Anyone you replace him with will need the same - so, on the basis you will not accelerate success - unless you believe there is anyone out there that would come to Derby, that is head and shoulders above MCLaren - then stick with what we have. It is an unnecessary gamble otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

That's kind of my point. I don't think there is anyone (realistic) that is head and shoulders above MCLaren, so I would stick with what we have. He needs a summer transfer window to get his chosen squad together. Anyone you replace him with will need the same - so, on the basis you will not accelerate success - unless you believe there is anyone out there that would come to Derby, that is head and shoulders above MCLaren - then stick with what we have. It is an unnecessary gamble otherwise.

It's a fair point that McClaren hasn't had a summer transfer window to create his own squad. That begs the question of how much confidence people have that he buys wisely in the summer and that he can get the best out of a reshaped squad. I am confident that he might come up with a team playing pretty football but winning nothing. He is not the future.

56 minutes ago, Ninos said:

A success???So he's overachieving is he? Try convincing most DCFC fans Mel or even mac himself that he's overachieved. Incredible.

Selective reading? 

I said; however the team went on a fantastic run and flirted with the play-offs. You could argue at that point McClaren over achieved on his plan

They key bit is in bold.

If his brief this season was (only Mel knows) was to move us away from a relegation fight then he has achieved. Am I happy with the current form and displays, obviously not, but I am also realistic enough to not expect miracles given the start that we had.

McClaren seems to either be a Messiah or a shambles. Quite extraordinary really. Our midtable is the result of shockingly impressive form at first (given what preceded it) then diabolical form. And we have seen this before. Not your conventional inconsistency. It just tends to leave you scratching your head about which one he is when perhaps he is just average, the route to average being different. Its all very odd. With Nigel we were at least steadily good or bad (whichever way you look at it). McClaren could see us leap to the top of the table next year (it wouldn't surprise me) and you'd then be wondering when the biblical nosedive in form will start...

11 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Selective reading? 

I said; however the team went on a fantastic run and flirted with the play-offs. You could argue at that point McClaren over achieved on his plan

They key bit is in bold.

If his brief this season was (only Mel knows) was to move us away from a relegation fight then he has achieved. Am I happy with the current form and displays, obviously not, but I am also realistic enough to not expect miracles given the start that we had.

Ninos has a special pair of ninos goggles that only allow him to read selective parts of posts that suits his anti McLaren agenda....The opposite of the rose tinted versions that i wear.

On 3/10/2017 at 21:38, Kernow said:

Before I start, this isn't a McClaren out thread. I think if we want a good chance to actually go up, we can't go chopping and changing frequently, and regardless of how you feel about Mac, this is the choice we've made going forward.

However, my question is, do you think we will actually stick with him? Each manager Mel has hired has had a long term goal at the end yet have all been cut extremely short if Morris isn't impressed with what he's seeing. And let's be honest, he can't be very happy with what he is seeing now. The winning run aside, has there been a difference in performance? I don't even think McClaren could use that winning run as a bargaining tool if he was called in for talks. We've been on good form in each of the last four seasons yet inconsistency has seen us blow it every single time.

With a few decent managers out there at the moment and looking for work, I really would not be surprised if Morris started having a look now. If McClaren was sacked after the final game of the season, would you be surprised and/or concerned?

I think it would be a massive mistake to replace him. The constantly revolving door at Derby has created enough issues in its own right and we desperately need a period of consolidation. I'll be keeping everything crossed that Martin is back, Fozzy and George are healthy and that we can make 2 or 3 shrewd signings across the summer. Given these conditions, if Mac fails again then I think he'll most definitely be staring down the barrel and far fewer will be as staunch in their support of him as is the case after the botched start to this season.

COYR.

I'm not totally filled with faith in McClaren at this point, but I don't think he's awful.

There are a couple of things that are really bugging me, particularly Bent coming right back in when we'd just started looking like the new line up.might get some joy. Insisting on vydra being on the left when if we are going to play the 4231 his natural position would be behind Nugent. We've hit on something that might be a good way to use our record signing and don't play that and also move Ince away from where he'd been lethal all season. Mac needs to up his game, no doubt.

However, it should be clear, the team at the moment isn't even close to Wassall's team. DazWaz had a fit Thorne, Hughes, Shackell, Keogh and a semblance of hope and spirit.

Its not as simple, in my view as the players are not good enough, McClaren isn't good enough, the players don't want it, there are injuries to good players....its also not a simple fix.

Ultimately, we have enough good football players at the club to be better than this season, but the squad is not right and we need to collectively be calm, evolve the squad, stick with McClaren til the end of the season - there would be nothing to gain by booting him before then anyway except satisfying those who want blood because they've been let down.

I'm up for giving McClaren the summer.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

His players? You need to check and see which ones were really his. He brought in some real charlies 

I'd put Chris P in charge until seasons end  and I'd try to lure Ralph Hassenhuttl or someone of that ilk who's tuned in to a policy of young talent combined with an uber modern style of attacking football. But Mel would be well served to get a footballing man of vision in as director too. Moving Mcclaren upstairs would be an even bigger mess.

Enlighten me then, who are the players that are his in this squad.

Thorne, Bent and Ince off the top of my head.

So one player who has not kicked a ball, and 2 that have contributed about 75% of our goals this season.

46 minutes ago, ramjit said:

maclaren was allowed to spend around the£80million mark at newcastle,we all no what happened there.

Not exactly true a large portion of that was spent before his appointment on players agreed with the previous manager and a club policy of young players with sell on potential.The only one's he was involved in were in the January one of which was Shelvey not exactly a bad signing.

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Not exactly true a large portion of that was spent before his appointment on players agreed with the previous manager and a club policy of young players with sell on potential.The only one's he was involved in were in the January one of which was Shelvey not exactly a bad signing.

fair enough,good player shelvey aswell.saw him play at brighton other week.

Archived