Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You struggle to understand it? Has done a brilliant job with two poor sides. Had Birmingham playing above and beyond their level. Clearly gets the best out of players. Whether or not he'd get the best out of our uninterested, overpaid lumps thought I don't know. 

Yes I struggle to understand.

Pearson did a great job with Leicester, did not mean he did a good job with Derby.

Why because his style did not fit what we already had.

Would Rowett bring to the club a style that fits what we have? Hard to say because as you pointed out he has managed poor teams with no money where good football was probably not the main agenda of the fans.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

I'm sorry but Mac has really lost the plot. When we signed nugget I was looking forward to him playing with vydra. Thought they'd make a good combination. 

For some reason we had to wait ages for that, until the Barnsley and Preston games. Worked very well.. Vydra assist for nugent v Barnsley, nugent  the assist for vydra v Preston. 

Unfortunately mac messes up bringing bent in for the Brighton game. Had bent been fit that's the formation he would have played v Barnsley.

so really the only success we've had in recent games came about because of bents illness , not any tactical sense from Mac.

the starting xI ve Brighton was all wrong , and poor use of subs in all the recent games.

i don't have confidence in Mac anymore.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I'm sorry but Mac has really lost the plot. When we signed nugget I was looking forward to him playing with vydra. Thought they'd make a good combination. 

For some reason we had to wait ages for that, until the Barnsley and Preston games. Worked very well.. Vydra assist for nugent v Barnsley, nugent  the assist for vydra v Preston. 

Unfortunately mac messes up bringing bent in for the Brighton game. Had bent been fit that's the formation he would have played v Barnsley.

so really the only success we've had in recent games came about because of bents illness , not any tactical sense from Mac.

the starting xI ve Brighton was all wrong , and poor use of subs in all the recent games.

i don't have confidence in Mac anymore.

The other problem is we bought Nugent with hardly any game time and then he got injured, so hopefully we still have more to come from him.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Isn't that the point, Pearson couldn't, Mac did but is now struggling with them. Why would Rowett get more from them?

I don't know if he would or he wouldn't. I don't know what personality this group will react best to. At the moment it seems (on evidence of when we've played our best) that Mac is the right man for the job.

Moving Rowett would be a massive gamble. No doubt about it. But I personally think he would do a job with our players.

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

The other problem is we bought Nugent with hardly any game time and then he got injured, so hopefully we still have more to come from him.

Well you don't have to be so accurate! I bet he wasn't really injured! ;)

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I struggle to understand.

Pearson did a great job with Leicester, did not mean he did a good job with Derby.

Why because his style did not fit what we already had.

Would Rowett bring to the club a style that fits what we have? Hard to say because as you pointed out he has managed poor teams with no money where good football was probably not the main agenda of the fans.

You can use this argument in so many ways. Ranieri did awfully with Greece. Great job with Leicester.

Dyche was hopeless at Watford. Great job with Burnley.

Brendan Rodgers was awful at Reading. Went on to Swansea and has continued to do well.

No managerial appointment guarantees a team success. But nor do they doom a team to failure. We just have to trust Mel to put the right person for this club in charge. So far, he's done a pretty poor job at that. 

56 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You struggle to understand it? Has done a brilliant job with two poor sides. Had Birmingham playing above and beyond their level. Clearly gets the best out of players. Whether or not he'd get the best out of our uninterested, overpaid lumps thought I don't know. 

He got the best out of a limited Brum side but it's not a brand of football I would pay to watch.

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

He got the best out of a limited Brum side but it's not a brand of football I would pay to watch.

There's an argument to say Rowett's Brum side played like that because that was the only way he could get something out of a squad of very poor players. Would his Derby side play like that? There's no way to tell, but I doubt it. You can only do the best with what you've got, and that's what Rowett did at Burton and Birmingham. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

There's an argument to say Rowett's Brum side played like that because that was the only way he could get something out of a squad of very poor players. Would his Derby side play like that? There's no way to tell, but I doubt it. You can only do the best with what you've got, and that's what Rowett did at Burton and Birmingham. 

and thats what mac is currently doing at derby...i really like rowett,but he would do no better with this lot

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

and thats what mac is currently doing at derby...i really like rowett,but he would do no better with this lot

I appreciate that that is your opinion, but you just can't know that for sure.

I'm not saying I want us to sack McClaren and replace him with Rowett. I want McClaren to be given a summer of transfers and until the end of the year to get things in gear.

But I do think Rowett would do a good job with us. I think he's the kind of personality (for reasons I've stated previously) that this club, and its supporters, would take to. He's a Derby County man. Son's a season ticket holder. He's already part of the club in a way.

I think Rowett will be the manager of Derby County one day.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Touche.

Well he actually left didn't he? 

At least Mac was sacked and made a commitment to stay.

I'd back Rowett. Just don't want to be back here in 12 months with people saying "We should get Alex Neil before Sunderland do"

And then we have 4 Rowett players to add to our mess

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I appreciate that that is your opinion, but you just can't know that for sure.

I'm not saying I want us to sack McClaren and replace him with Rowett. I want McClaren to be given a summer of transfers and until the end of the year to get things in gear.

But I do think Rowett would do a good job with us. I think he's the kind of personality (for reasons I've stated previously) that this club, and its supporters, would take to. He's a Derby County man. Son's a season ticket holder. He's already part of the club in a way.

I think Rowett will be the manager of Derby County one day.

he probably will but hopefully not yet

and no,i cant be definitive when i say rowett wont do any better with our current bunch of players...however two very different but experienced managers couldnt so without wholesale changes i dont know how it could be different with him...

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

he probably will but hopefully not yet

and no,i cant be definitive when i say rowett wont do any better with our current bunch of players...however two very different but experienced managers couldnt so without wholesale changes i dont know how it could be different with him...

Good points, well put Kash!

In an ideal world, McClaren shifts out the deadwood in the summer, brings in some signings which will improve the side, and we kick on next season - that's what we all want, right?!

Archived