Darren Bent

Waffle

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just doesn't impact upon the game enough, for me. We've needed his goals this season, but I'd pick someone like Nugent over him all day long. Will be Martin/Nugent taking the forward role for us next season, I'd of thought, with perhaps someone from the U23's stepping up to cover them. Jakobsen maybe? 

He has done ok for us and if we had been putting the ball in the box as much as we could have he would certinatly have scored many more goals all that said we do need to reduce our wages cost and Bent we have to suspect as being a high earner will be allowed to leave which should be fine if we have a fit and football hungry Chris Martin.

22 minutes ago, Simsy said:

How can anyone not miss a proven goal scorer?

He has had a great career and hopefully its not ending just yet.

he has been brilliant for us and ill never forget that strike against wolves...utterly brilliant#

however,hes definitely,visibly, slowing down and doesnt do hold up play effectively so i suspect his style wont be fitting into rowetts target man play very well.....

having said that,he is still effective as a impact striker,so could have his uses next season but i suspect martin nugent and vydra will be all that we need. 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

he has been brilliant for us and ill never forget that strike against wolves...utterly brilliant#

however,hes definitely,visibly, slowing down and doesnt do hold up play effectively so i suspect his style wont be fitting into rowetts target man play very well.....

having said that,he is still effective as a impact striker,so could have his uses next season but i suspect martin nugent and vydra will be all that we need. 

I can see Weimann coming back into the fold too. 

Odd one is Weimann. Terrible player but could still bag you 20 in this division through his sheer pace, energy and work rate alone. 

As someone to bring on with 15 to play, when you're a goal down, or looking for the winner, I'd offer him an extra year, but only on a 3rd of what he's getting now.  You'd hope he's made a fair wedge over the years so he could afford to take the hit.  If not, cheerio and he'll end up in The States or China...

Could get 2 or 3 young hungry players for his wages. With Martin, Nugent, Bennett, Weiman, Russell, Ince, we have enough players to put the ball in the net, even without the aforementioned hungry young players. 

A decent goalscorer in and around the box, but he doesn't hold the ball up, make tackles, have lightening pace, stay onside, so would never be first choice anyway. 

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Too expensive, too lazy, too offside...won't miss him at all WHEN he goes. 

Oh and too old. 

He's really not lazy, worked very hard for the team when he's been featured this year. Gave us goals and a target when no one else could.

Sort of a 'Dad sitting in front of Match of the Day with his arms crossed' opinion to call Bent lazy. Forum equivalent to lazy journalism.

Lazy forumism?

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I can see Weimann coming back into the fold too. 

Odd one is Weimann. Terrible player but could still bag you 20 in this division through his sheer pace, energy and work rate alone. 

forgot about weiman....i dont think hes a bad player tbh,just not had his chances...i wonder if GR could get him firing,he could be very useful as you say

I remember when he was named in the starting 11 v the Wendies and being a bit meh.

But blimey did he make me change my mind.Worked tirelessly and he was great that day.

I agree that we could get a couple of really good youngsters in for his wages,but overall I think he's done us proud and he's scored some crackers.

I know the Wolves one is a worldy but West Brom and that header v Bristol City was a another beauty.

Not offside as much either this year?

A part from his goals he doesn't offer much. He's come on in some games with 10-15 mins to play and not touched the ball. What's the point?

id look for a young hungry player(should have got bogle). Someone who offers goals but a bit more aswell.

hes scored some useful goals for us and I applaud him for that but he isn't the future. 

Out of him and Baird I'd go for Baird for an extra year. Versatile, can defend and would be good as a mentor for a RB that can defend to learn off

38 minutes ago, Gritters said:

In the Championship. I bet a replacement would have got 15 at least and on a lit less money too.

A replacement ? Who? We are one of the lowest scoring teams and to get 12 goals this season so far is a massive achievement. Also I don't think he's started nearly every match- I'm guessing 30 matches ? Ish so his goal rate is very good. Don't get fans who are moaning- he scores goals. Maybe then everyone would have been happier with Blackman up front on his own? Russell? Weizmann? Bent is a quality finisher shame he's had to live off scraps the whole season

Archived