Darren Bent

Waffle

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, rynny said:

His wages will be too expensive.

Well we don't know that, and that's up to Mel to decide.

I have no idea what bent is paid, nor what he might be paid next season.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, David said:

So why is this topic full of people saying he's on big wages and too expensive? ?

Surely we can imagine the size of his package 

Here we go again. If you want rid of Bent because of age, pace, finishing ability, stamina, positioning, awareness, heading ability and work rate, then fine.  

But the argument that he is overpaid does my head in.  If he can help the team - which I think he can - and we can afford it - which until told otherwise I think we can - and nobody better is either available or cheaper - which we really don't know about 'cos we don't know about wages or fees for these players - and if the manager considers he is value for money and worth a place in the squad... then I couldn't care less what he is paid.  

Stop thinking that being a supporter is the same as playing football manager where you have to worry yourselves about every aspect of the club and just bother about the football!  Let the accountants worry about the bills.  

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Well we don't know that, and that's up to Mel to decide.

I have no idea what bent is paid, nor what he might be paid next season.

It was to try to explain to @Derby_EnglandLoyal what @MuespachRam was on about, as in he believes his wages are too expensive not his transfer fee.

Although some would argue what we are paying Bent is too much, regardless of the actual amount he is paid :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I believe it has been reported somewhere on here that we do need to reduce the wage bill regardless of bringing in any reinforcements so the likes of Bent would probably not be retained especially if Martin is to return 

Think it's too early to say if Bent will feature in Rowetts plans or not, with age comes niggly injuries which we've seen with both Bent and Nugent. 

Whilst the club has said the wage bill needs to come down can we afford to go into the new season with just Martin and Nugent? 

It's ok saying replace Bent with someone younger and cheaper but FFP doesn't allow Mel to dip into his bottomless pot of gold without selling, Bent has no resale value and we're told some of the top strikers in this league are now on 60k per week, that will only bump up other players demands as agents will know.

Maybe Bent's extension has a wage decrease in, lower bonuses etc. We simply don't know. 

He was also out of favour at Villa, Brighton on loan, no Prem clubs came in for him so are his wages really that high? 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, David said:

So why is this topic full of people saying he's on big wages and too expensive? ?

Because everyone it seems has access to the derby county payrolll :)

I think proven goal scorers need to stay - Martin top scorer more than once, Bent 12 goals in 36 matches (a lot of sub appearances in this stat) in a low scoring Derby team. 

I dread to think what position we would be in without Bent's contribution this season. Martin back will be a major boost also next season and I think playoffs will be a realistic goal.

I think we matched his Villa wages when he came here, that's why he's perceived as being on big wages. Its a vauge recollection, so happy to be corrected.

My take is offer him a year on less money if he wants to stay, if he feels he'll get paid more elseware, let him go.

He's been a bit of a poacher, but I don't think we are side that can carry a poacher as lone striker.

I don't think he's been bad, but I'd rather martin in the side.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we matched his Villa wages when he came here, that's why he's perceived as being on big wages. Its a vauge recollection, so happy to be corrected.

Can't correct you as I didn't see that, but I remember seeing it reported he was on 65k at Villa so find it hard to believe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11659791/Revealed-Darren-Bent-cost-Aston-Villa-27000-per-touch.html

1 minute ago, David said:

Can't correct you as I didn't see that, but I remember seeing it reported he was on 65k at Villa so find it hard to believe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11659791/Revealed-Darren-Bent-cost-Aston-Villa-27000-per-touch.html

I can't believe he's on anywhere near £65k/wk but I can believe he's on high wages for us.

To be fair every single player at the club is on high wages, many will earn more on a month than all us in a year.

How do Bent's wages compare to other Championship strikers that is the question, the answer is none of us know

Just now, David said:

the answer is none of us know

But an educated guess might be the ex-england international who was still quite a big name when he came to us, is probably on reletivly high wages for the championship. You're right, we don't know......but if we only discussed facts on the forum.........

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But an educated guess might be the ex-england international who was still quite a big name when he came to us, is probably on reletivly high wages for the championship. You're right, we don't know......but if we only discussed facts on the forum.........

Point taken but if people think he's lazy, doesn't offer enough on the pitch or fit the system, not enough goals fair enough, say get rid on that, not what we're guessing he gets paid. 

Could be on £5 or £50k, if the club can afford it and he's in the managers plans it really doesn't matter to us.

If he was a free transfer then I would assume this is reflected in his wages.

Given the attempt to reduce the wage bill and the number of strikers we have on our books, I would wager he is almost certain to be released.

Quite like the bloke, has done OK. Maybe expected more given his stellar career, but he always comes across as a good pro.

Archived