Darren Bent

Waffle

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big Bent fan, think he's been really good this season, but I'd let him go in the summer. Think he's still got an MLS/Turkey/China move left in him, going on how well he performed this year.

Nugent and Martin are a good battle for the starting spot, with Zanzala, Vernam and Bennett in and around the first team now too, don't think keeping Bent makes sense.

The question is where he sits in the pecking order. If Martin, nugent and Vydra are ahead of him then do we want a fourth choice striker on around £20-30k warming the bench or not even making the match day squad. 

Only rowett will know whether he's in his plans but I'd rather have a young kid as fourth choice who is hungry and will burst through when opportunities arise through injuries etc. 

I want to see a clear future for our academy products to get there chance as currently I don't see any and IF Martin does come back and Bent DOES get kept then there's even less chances for them.

49 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

People want a squad cull, yet people want to keep most players, there will be some tough decisions this summer.

It's an indictment on our recruitment that we can rebuild this squad with 3/4 directions in mind, each requiring different players staying and going. 

We literally have the start of; a counterattacking 442, a controlling 442, a fluid 4231 or a controlling 433.

Literally nobody is safe for me. Not Martin, not Ince, not Keogh, not BJ, not Vydra… not even Hughes. Fozzy's the only one I feel could play in any system and he's had his problems. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Think it's too early to say if Bent will feature in Rowetts plans or not, with age comes niggly injuries which we've seen with both Bent and Nugent. 

Whilst the club has said the wage bill needs to come down can we afford to go into the new season with just Martin and Nugent? 

It's ok saying replace Bent with someone younger and cheaper but FFP doesn't allow Mel to dip into his bottomless pot of gold without selling, Bent has no resale value and we're told some of the top strikers in this league are now on 60k per week, that will only bump up other players demands as agents will know.

Maybe Bent's extension has a wage decrease in, lower bonuses etc. We simply don't know. 

He was also out of favour at Villa, Brighton on loan, no Prem clubs came in for him so are his wages really that high? 

All fair points but ultimately how would he fit into GR view of things? I edge towards that he wouldn't be here next season as I think Bent will be looking for a lonnger contract somewhere else

Archived