Darren Bent

Waffle

There's a few interesting points on this thread... Just out of curiosity. 

When did Football become entertainment & not a sport?

It's like the Olympics, It's a sport. Not meant for pure entertainment. People saying that they have paid £x amount of money to come and be entertained via football, Insisting that because they have paid their money, They are entitled to watch their team play good football & to watch them win games. Well if that was the case for every club in England then you wouldn't have teams like Portsmouth down in league 2. They would be in the premier league, Football is a sport. It's competitive and things don't always go your way. We have been in a bad place for the past 2-3 years fans wise, People thinking that because we have reached Wembley, We are then entitled to go on and smash the league and blow everyone away. Not going to happen i'm afraid. People needs to check their expectations, This team haven't been promoted since going to wembley for 1 simple reason. We currently, Aren't good enough. Our recruitment team HAVE to take some blame for this, Some of the recruitment since the wembley season has been nothing short of embarrassing. But us as fans cannot start to expect more, Our team is currently just short of the promotion mark. We can get to where we all want to be, But we can't carry on the way we are by having a go at the team & the players as soon as we draw a game. Like I've said, Football is a sport, not based around pure entertainment. If you want pure entertainment then go to the cinema. Films are done purely to excite and thrill the customer. Football is different, Football is based on progressing a business by climbing tables that are set out by another company. Football does think about the customer but it is not based purely around them. People need to realise this.

Sorry for the rant. :D 

Up the rams.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Are we in danger of giving too much credence to those on twitter who do this? I expect its a very small noisy minority as usual and not to be confused with the overall support. Its like the big mouths at the match. 100 folk can hear them but realistically they are in a small minority.

All seems a bit childish to me.

Spot on.

The difference is if someone shouts at a game it's suddenly gone into the ether and most times be forgotten about. On twitter you write one stupid OTT thing it will stay there, then the reactions become OTT which makes it worse until no one actually believes what they are arguing about. Basically it's a pointless medium which you can't trust.

18 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

So the forward Darren Bent who missed an absolute sitter (who the majority of under 7's kids in the country would of scored)

against Burton is responsible for not scoring in that game, some of these so called footballers never fail to surprise me or make me laugh. As for the goal line clearance against Leicester City.....hilarious that Derby pay him a wage!

You can't get on the pitch, and when you do, we have to suffer, because what ever place you are in, it's not the direction the other 10 players are pulling in!

Fair play to Darren who can use Twitter whilst getting a pay check that we can all carry on dreaming about, for doing very little. Who needs a scapegoat, when Darren Bent's about!

yes darrens responsible for scoring over 200 league goals does no noe give respect these days

33 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but why should someone have to stop doing something cos of harrassment?

If your kid is being bullied at school do you think telling them it's their fault for going to school in the first place is fair?

This isn't school that is mandatory to attend. It's social media. If you go on it you open yourself up to criticism. 

If someone was being abusive on this forum I would block them and report it to the mods. It wouldn't stop me coming on here and reading lots of good views on the football club I support.

Sith Happens

I loved the story about a boxer on twitter, can't remember his name, who got loads of abuse from one person.

He managed to track him down and knocked on his door for a discussion about the abuse. Needless to say the guy who was so brave on Twitter couldn't replicate the same bravado in person.

47 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Delete twitter

block posters

make your account private

dont rise to it

dont respond to antagonise the gobby Neanderthals

plenty of things he could do himself to not have to to put up with it. 

@EnigmaRam you never said he had to change? I must have misinterpreted your post above. What did you mean then?

52 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I loved the story about a boxer on twitter, can't remember his name, who got loads of abuse from one person.

He managed to track him down and knocked on his door for a discussion about the abuse. Needless to say the guy who was so brave on Twitter couldn't replicate the same bravado in person.

This is the problem, social media creates a bubble mentality where social norms seem to be discarded, people can hide behind the relative anonymity and say things they wouldn't normally say without fear of getting caught. 

18 hours ago, jono said:

I'm glad he had a go back. What he earns is eff all to do with it. Bet you he was as p*ss*d of as we were at the way it panned out. He didn't go too far. He just said what most of say about the moaners and the groaners. Mind you they need to learn from it.

i'd much prefer to see this than the usual clap trap like

"Me and the lads was gutted for each other and the fans and we take responsibility and lessons will be learned " ... Meh ..spoon fed baby pap 

That last quote sounds very Alastair Cook  :lol: 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Very strange way of looking at things in my opinion.

When I pay my season ticket money I believe I am paying to reserve myself a seat in the hope that that club provide me some entertainment.

If they don't then my gripe should be with the club because they are not employing a manager/players to provide that entertainment.

If I go to Tesco and the checkout operator is not scanning things as fast as I want I don't boo them, then go home and hunt them down on social media so that I can tell them that I pay their wages so they should be performing better, so I don't feel the need to do the same with footballers.

Sure it's fine to be disappointed with players, I am guilty of coming on here sometimes and berating them, but abusing them and their families on social media...really?!

Maybe I was just brought up differently.

Far worse than not scanning fast enough is when they cough in to their hands then grab your butter eeeeuwwwww. Sorry for the digression

3 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

It's like the Olympics, It's a sport. Not meant for pure entertainment. People saying that they have paid £x amount of money to come and be entertained via football, Insisting that because they have paid their money, They are entitled to watch their team play good football & to watch them win games. Well if that was the case for every club in England then you wouldn't have teams like Portsmouth down in league 2. They would be in the premier league, Football is a sport. It's competitive and things don't always go your way. We have been in a bad place for the past 2-3 years fans wise, People thinking that because we have reached Wembley, We are then entitled to go on and smash the league and blow everyone away. Not going to happen i'm afraid. People needs to check their expectations, This team haven't been promoted since going to wembley for 1 simple reason. We currently, Aren't good enough. Our recruitment team HAVE to take some blame for this, Some of the recruitment since the wembley season has been nothing short of embarrassing. But us as fans cannot start to expect more, Our team is currently just short of the promotion mark. We can get to where we all want to be, But we can't carry on the way we are by having a go at the team & the players as soon as we draw a game. Like I've said, Football is a sport, not based around pure entertainment. If you want pure entertainment then go to the cinema. Films are done purely to excite and thrill the customer. Football is different, Football is based on progressing a business by climbing tables that are set out by another company. Football does think about the customer but it is not based purely around them. People need to realise this.

Up the rams.

Interesting points. You could equally ask when did football become a business and not a sport? The answer is it's all three. It's a sport that is meant to entertain and at the same time promote a business. It would be a flawed business plan if it didn't entertain as no one would pay to watch it. If it was just a sport then it would be played by amateurs and free to watch if you choose to. The minute you start to charge someone to watch then it has to become entertainment. 

Having said that, I agree supporters have to be realistic. You can't expect to win every game (or for every season to be a successful one) or even be "entertained" necessarily. But, if you're not happy then you can always stop coming.

One other point of order, not every film is designed to thrill and excite. I've seen many films that are more of a drama or a comedy. I wouldn't describe one of my favourites, The Truman Show, as either thrilling or exciting but it's still an excellent film.

3 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Up the rams.

Very good post RamsPolls but I'll have to take issue with the 'Films are done purely to excite and thrill the customer'. Have you seen La La Land? 

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

Fans can't take some back can they. 

Derby fans are crap. They really are. Mardy, arrogant, ignorant drama Queens. It's embarrassing. 

That's about the most likes I've seen Alpha, you've obviously connected there! I'd have to say it's a little sweeping to suggest simply 'Derby fans are crap'. I've witnessed awful comments which are indeed embarrassing but there's plenty of genuine fans at every club. My bro has had a season ticket for Man City for forty years plus and has seen a lot if not the lot!! He tells me they moan and groan around him and offer some pathetic stuff..... That's Man frecking City like they've not done much lately:lol:

5 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Very good post RamsPolls but I'll have to take issue with the 'Films are done purely to excite and thrill the customer'. Have you seen La La Land? 

Thank you SK! I have not seen this film no :D. guessing it's not very "thrilling"?

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

One other point of order, not every film is designed to thrill and excite. I've seen many films that are more of a drama or a comedy. I wouldn't describe one of my favourites, The Truman Show, as either thrilling or exciting but it's still an excellent film.

I didn't literally mean that all films are thrillers or are made to excite. What I should have said is "All films are made for the purpose of the customer" because they are. They are all made for enjoyment of the customer. Where as football is different like you said. 

9 minutes ago, SKRam said:

That's about the most likes I've seen Alpha, you've obviously connected there! I'd have to say it's a little sweeping to suggest simply 'Derby fans are crap'. I've witnessed awful comments which are indeed embarrassing but there's plenty of genuine fans at every club. My bro has had a season ticket for Man City for forty years plus and has seen a lot if not the lot!! He tells me they moan and groan around him and offer some pathetic stuff..... That's Man frecking City like they've not done much lately:lol:

You're right. It's easy to forget that those that post on here added to those on twitter are still a minority 

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Wasn't it Curtis Woodhouse?Ex Sheffield Utd.

Archived