Aston Villa v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I'll just refer you to my earlier posts. Like when Derby's opponents take corners, they seem to have gone right over your head.

It's clear you don't agree in any case so it's a bit of a pointless discourse to be honest.

I hadn't seen your post on zonal marking and covering posts. Though I wish we showed the same aggression as you have in that post. No need. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I hadn't seen your post on zonal marking and covering posts. Though I wish we showed the same aggression as you have in that post. No need. 

Jeez Sage, it's a joke with a wafer thin slice of resignation thrown in! How is it aggressive? 

Never mind...

Not sure how McClaren is to blame in any of this? He's been dealt an incredibly unbalanced and vastly overpaid squad.

Needs some big changes this season.

Cant wait until Martin is back. He will make a massive difference to us in terms of style, threat, balance and aggression.

We will become a much more positive side with Martin, playing a lot more forward passes, and we will be better at defending set pieces too.

I cant believe any sane Derby fan could possibly suggest we are a better side without Martin. We need a player of that ilk for the 433 to work. There is no other option, unless we buy a player like Luis Suarez who can come short or go beyond. Any quality CF who can do both will be playing at a higher level than the Championship. Martin is about as good as we can get for that particular role.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure how McClaren is to blame in any of this? He's been dealt an incredibly unbalanced and vastly overpaid squad.

Needs some big changes this season.

Cant wait until Martin is back. He will make a massive difference to us in terms of style, threat, balance and aggression.

We will become a much more positive side with Martin, playing a lot more forward passes, and we will be better at defending set pieces too.

I cant believe any sane Derby fan could possibly suggest we are a better side without Martin. We need a player of that ilk for the 433 to work. There is no other option, unless we buy a player like Luis Suarez who can come short or go beyond. Any quality CF who can do both will be playing at a higher level than the Championship. Martin is about as good as we can get for that particular role.

Chris Martin coming back and we'll be just fine ... 

Well thanks ... 

Glad that's been sorted. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, GerryDaly said:

Chris Martin coming back and we'll be just fine ... 

Well thanks ... 

Glad that's been sorted. :thumbsup:

It's not just that,Martin is just part of the system that suits the 443...there,will be a,lot of other changes ahead too to bring it back online

Bris rightly points out that we are poorer without him,which is correct

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I didn't think we played that bad today. Our problem is the final third. To give an example Christie runs into the box looking dangerous and he passes the ball to a Villa player, Russell runs into the box but runs straight into the first player who takes the ball off him. Also numerous occasions crosses not clearing the first defender. 

I'm not sure what it is because these players can pass the ball, cross the ball, get past players. I think our play is too slow.

went to the game today ,a little bit of luck or a better , quicker descision in the final third of the pitch and it could have been a different story today , pluses for me today incey , de sart ,mason bennett and johnney russell , negatives , a goal from a set piece again and the sub standard referee , how he missed the foul on Bent ill never know, overall better from the Rams , a win onTuesday could ignite the season ,for us again , so lets get behind the lads COYR

21 hours ago, StevenageRam said:

There is the Witton Arms which is left out of Witton train station or if you turn right about half a mile iup the road is the Yew Tree. I will probably start in  the Yew tree then head for the Witton Arms,  then it's only a 5 minute walk to the ground from there 

Well the Yew Tree was a bit grim. They charged a quid to go in too. Most pubs would have football on. They had free willy.

Frustrating today. Two teams desperately out of form. Villa got a goal from a set piece, we had one stonewall pen not given and a header from Bent. That's it...despite 71% possession! Just not good enough. All our play was in front of Villa, never once looked like scoring. It was a continuation of our laboured lacklustre performance against Burton. Villa were there for the taking today.

Our season is most definitely over despite whatever the PR spin merchants at dcfc will say. It is now all about planning for next season. He needs to stop perservereing with Bent and play Nugent, If Bryson is fit he has to play as Butterfield was woeful...again, I also think he needs to give Vydra a chance.

Positives - Max Lowe responded from a shocking performance against Burton with a decent performance today. Mason Bennett came on to the surprise of everyone and did ok.

McClaren will sort this out in the summer, he has to stay positive for the players but part of me wishes he would stop dressing up our performances in his interviews. Fact is with the exception of Ipswich and second half v reading, we have been dire since the Birmingham game in December.

Mid table mediocrity is what we will achieve this season and its where we deserve to be. Not good, but it's a damn sight better than the relegation scrap we would've had if Pearson was still here!

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Frustrating today. Two teams desperately out of form. Villa got a goal from a set piece, we had one stonewall pen not given and a header from Bent. That's it...despite 71% possession! Just not good enough. All our play was in front of Villa, never once looked like scoring. It was a continuation of our laboured lacklustre performance against Burton. Villa were there for the taking today.

Our season is most definitely over despite whatever the PR spin merchants at dcfc will say. It is now all about planning for next season. He needs to stop perservereing with Bent and play Nugent, If Bryson is fit he has to play as Butterfield was woeful...again, I also think he needs to give Vydra a chance.

Positives - Max Lowe responded from a shocking performance against Burton with a decent performance today. Mason Bennett came on to the surprise of everyone and did ok.

McClaren will sort this out in the summer, he has to stay positive for the players but part of me wishes he would stop dressing up our performances in his interviews. Fact is with the exception of Ipswich and second half v reading, we have been dire since the Birmingham game in December.

Mid table mediocrity is what we will achieve this season and its where we deserve to be. Not good, but it's a damn sight better than the relegation scrap we would've had if Pearson was still here!

You weren't at the same game as me. In fact, reading that I'm not sure you were there at all.

1 minute ago, GerryDaly said:

I feel like posting a thread in this place ... 

THANK GOD FOR STEVE McCLAREN. 

He'll sort this out ! 

It's ALL that bad nasty Nigel Pearson's fault ! 

Yup, pretty much. Steve McClaren may not be the messiah, this poor form has gone on longer than any of us would like, but....

Seeing as you like pointing out we've lost to villa and Cardiff and not beaten bristol or Burton, who did we beat under Pearson? PNE and that is it. Pearson brought us 1 single, solitary win.

Cardiff, he was suspended and the players had had a meeting and told him to junk 4-4-2 and between the the players and Chris Powell they rallied to win against a cardiff side that on the night was so bad anyone in the division would have won that game.

6 points from 9 games and suspended......

16 hours ago, 86 points said:

No single player to blame but should Bent and Christie be the first two lines of defence at any set piece? We don't ever have a player on each post and we seem to have switched to defending zones rather than moving forwards and attacking the ball. It's not working and we're paying heavily for it. Villa were zero threat save for from set pieces today and the coaches and the players need to put it right. What was our greatest strength when Mac returned has become our most obvious weakness.

Yes, we miss Fozzy and Martin but we need to work out a way to cope in their absence.

Having watching the goal properly (not on a dodgy stream) we were man marking not defending zones. The players Keogh and Pearce were marking (Baker and Jedinak) stayed 12 yards out. The ball cleared De Sart who jumped and Kodija beat Christie to the ball but didn't get a clean header in and Chester got the wrong side of Bent and bundled it in. I don't think having someone on the post would have helped.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Having watching the goal properly (not on a dodgy stream) we were man marking not defending zones. The players Keogh and Pearce were marking (Baker and Jedinak) stayed 12 yards out. The ball cleared De Sart who jumped and Kodija beat Christie to the ball but didn't get a clean header in and Chester got the wrong side of Bent and bundled it in. I don't think having someone on the post would have helped.

In our team we always put men on the two corners of the six yard box. You'll be amazed how many corners hit these two areas. Anything between those should be the keeper's. Anything further out should be easy to control and should give the keeper and guys on the line time to save.

34 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

In our team we always put men on the two corners of the six yard box. You'll be amazed how many corners hit these two areas. Anything between those should be the keeper's. Anything further out should be easy to control and should give the keeper and guys on the line time to save.

So are you saying Carson should have come for that cross?

Archived