Aston Villa v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Disagree. We play like that again next game and we'll see better results.

We need to be rational and not emotional. The emotional response makes sense as a fan, so I'm not pointing fingers, but it doesn't get us anywhere. It's frustrating but frustration doesn't give any answers.

Rationally, we could have easily won this today. Rationally, it's an improvement. 

Points will get on the board. 

Couldn't agree more. I'm more naturally inclined to optimism than most on here (*read happyclapper) but today's was not a bad performance and though the stats may not say it, we had enough chances to win the game even without the penalty appeal. We lacked cutting edge and a bit of luck - Villa lacked any of the former but had the latter in spades. Games turn on such things, like it or not.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 points behind Huddersfield, that huge club who share it with Rugby !! What an amazing job that club has done, we get 30,000 some fancy training ground, the state of the art woven pitch (first of its kind) and 1 at Moor Farm, so we can get our stars to do slick passing - and we pick up 2 points in 12 and you get a sick feeling looking at the league table. 

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Disagree. We play like that again next game and we'll see better results.

We need to be rational and not emotional. The emotional response makes sense as a fan, so I'm not pointing fingers, but it doesn't get us anywhere. It's frustrating but frustration doesn't give any answers.

Rationally, we could have easily won this today. Rationally, it's an improvement. 

Points will get on the board. 

Looked like we played decent football. Bent should have had a certain penalty.

I'm with you Tombo. Hysterics not needed.

Let me write the script.

we concede from a corner. Goalscorer someone we tried to sign but villa beat us to it.

71% possession , 8 corners no threat to their goal. Ref, Mr madley has a nightmare and denies us a stonewall penalty. 

No goals no points for the Rams a 10th straight defeat at villa park.

not saying it's predicatble , but all of the above were better bets than whose going to eat a pie. 

2 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

Gutted how the season is petering out. We don't seem to be able to break teams down. Steve mcclaren needs to starting planning for next season. Hopefully our recruitment next season will improve in the summer and we can get back on the promotion trail.

Agree, but this is an all to familiar pattern for us to be expected to swallow. Every year around Feb-March time we all begin to accept that the season is over and we should be planning for next season. 

When are we going to plan for the season we are currently competing in. ???

No plan a , no plan b , to many changes very strange that Bennett appears from nowhere , pick eleven and stick with it .This has gone tits up dramatically it's worrying if this squad perform like this against poor teams it's like we've been tactically sussed out again at this time of the season!

12 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

Well done Derby, Villa 5 straight defeats and it was always going to be a a defeat as SM said Bruce will get it right !! Well SM you are starting to get it wrong.. What an earth is going on, wasted around 25million of crap players and still have Bent !! 

Bent? One of our top scorers this season? 

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As much as I defend McLaren and likes of Keogh why the smeg can't we defend corners? We seem to have conceded an absolute truck load of goals from them this season.

Were either of them at fault for the goal? It looked like Christie then Bent.

Our problem at corners is beyond our CBs we are weak in the air, especially of Johnson isn't playing. WE miss Forsyth and Martin

All that money shelled out by both us and Villa and only 3 attempts on target combined. 

Both clubs recruitment policies are god awful. 

70.8% possession away from home and still nothing to shout about in the final third and a goal concede from a set piece again. 

When are we going to address this situation..... June or July. ???

1 minute ago, sage said:

Were either of them at fault for the goal? It looked like Christie then Bent.

Our problem at corners is beyond our CBs we are weak in the air, especially of Johnson isn't playing. WE miss Forsyth and Martin

Not directly to blame but the manager needs to run the drills to make us more effective in our defence of corners so he isn't blameless, especially when it is such an obvious issue.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not directly to blame but the manager needs to run the drills to make us more effective in our defence of corners so he isn't blameless, especially when it is such an obvious issue.

You think we haven't bothered?

Not sure whether we looked good at times, or whether Villa were awful which made us lool pretty good.

We dominated the ball, got into some great positions at times. I know Christie gets plenty of stick, but his ability to get forward does allow us an extra body in the box as Ince takes up a free role.

That side badly misses Chris Martin. I dont think we played more than three passes into Bent's feet in the entire game. Without Martin and that forward pass, along with the lack of a midfield ball-carrier, we are just so predictable.

Butterfield, through no fault of his, offers us nothing because he is exactly the same type of player as Hughes, just not as good.

I did like the team we had out there though. I really hope we get De Saart this summer and sell the likes of Vydra, Blackman, Johnson, Anya, Shackell, Camara etc.

We need that youthfulness and freshness back.

As for Villa. They are awful. So much money wasted there. They dont look like a team at all. No system. I couldnt work out what sort of football or style they were going for. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We aren't big enough.That is obvious. Bent was marking Chester who scored and nearly scored. 

Lowe or Olsson can't defend aerially like Forsyth.

Bent can't defend like Martin

De Sart can't defend like Thorne. 

Archived