Aston Villa v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Jedinak and Baker

What's your point then Sage, apart from the blindingly obvious fact that we miss Fozzy and martin, an observation that does nothing to address our current issues. We seemed to cope OK against aerial bombardments for the like of the Baggies when defending from behind the ball. Genuine question....

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All too depressingly familiar and predictable from us.

Cohesion, confidence, momentum and composure have all completely evaporated.

It just underlines the massive rebuilding job McClaren has on his hands. The job is much harder than when he first arrived in 2013 but nevertheless, to go from where we were in December to the run we have been on is hard to defend.

This mess - and make no mistake, it is a mess - is not going to take one summer to fix.

I guess we are just simply giving ourselves a head start.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Cyrus Christie is allergic to crossing the ball. 

It may appear that way when he constantly tries to beat one to many defenders, but he does actually put quite a few crosses in. The problem is only about 1 in 30 is actually even remotely ok.

41 minutes ago, Davide said:

Bent? One of our top scorers this season? 

*one of our only scorers

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

All too depressingly familiar and predictable from us.

Cohesion, confidence, momentum and composure have all completely evaporated.

It just underlines the massive rebuilding job McClaren has on his hands. The job is much harder than when he first arrived in 2013 but nevertheless, to go from where we were in December to the run we have been on is hard to defend.

This mess - and make no mistake, it is a mess - is not going to take one summer to fix.

I guess we are just simply giving ourselves a head start.

Agree with this, but hope you are wrong re the Summer, hopefully 3/4  BIG signings can give us what we 

obviously lack at the moment.

6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

What's your point then Sage, apart from the blindingly obvious fact that we miss Fozzy and martin, an observation that does nothing to address our current issues. We seemed to cope OK against aerial bombardments for the like of the Baggies when defending from behind the ball. Genuine question....

My point is as a team we aren't strong/big enough sp we will concede some from corners. We didn't concede in the air against West Brom but Shackell had an inspired game and we had quite a few near misses. What teams are doing now is looking to seperate Keogh and Pearce or take them away from their 3rd/4th/5th best headers of a ball, 

Obviously picking Johnson would help. Baird is better in the air than Christie. Though do you want to pick players purely based on one part of their game.

Until the summer we are papering over the cracks.  

I can't believe how poor Villa were today. Considering who they are and how much money they've spent they are an embarrassment to the shirt.

Unfortunately, they still beat us. We actually played some really nice stuff at times, but we simply don't have a real goal threat.

Had a terrible view for the penalty appeal, not sure if it should have been given? McClaren did 20 metres to rival Usain Bolt so I assume it was at least a fairly strong shout.

Really looking forward to seeing the season just drift out to a close from here on in... :sleep:

Just now, sage said:

My point is as a team we aren't strong/big enough sp we will concede some from corners. We didn't concede in the air against West Brom but Shackell had an inspired game and we had quite a few near misses. What teams are doing now is looking to seperate Keogh and Pearce or take them away from their 3rd/4th/5th best headers of a ball, 

Obviously picking Johnson would help. Baird is better in the air than Christie. Though do you want to pick players purely based on one part of their game.

Until the summer we are papering over the cracks.  

Fair enough bud - for my part I think there are things we can look to change but I understand why you feel otherwise.

50 minutes ago, sage said:

Were either of them at fault for the goal? It looked like Christie then Bent.

Our problem at corners is beyond our CBs we are weak in the air, especially of Johnson isn't playing. WE miss Forsyth and Martin

You can bet your bottom dollar Bent wouldn't have been half asleep if it had been our corner.

Just now, Redshaw_Ram said:

I can't believe how poor Villa were today. Considering who they are and how much money they've spent they are an embarrassment to the shirt.

Unfortunately, they still beat us. We actually played some really nice stuff at times, but we simply don't have a real goal threat.

Had a terrible view for the penalty appeal, not sure if it should have been given? McClaren did 20 metres to rival Usain Bolt so I assume it was at least a fairly strong shout.

Really looking forward to seeing the season just drift out to a close from here on in... :sleep:

I think mcclaren must be thinking this Ref really hates Derby and won't give them a peno... Although I think he did once. 

Played ok with the ball but that was largely down to Villa being short on confidence and allowing us to play where it was safe, once we got into the final third it was another toothless performance.

If we had been given that penalty which was nailed on I think we would have been all over them.

We don't look anything like SM's first team from 2013, changes need to be made as that's what our bloated squad is for.

A few disagreed with me when I suggested playing Ince at 10 in a 4-2-3-1 but we are badly lacking a cutting edge and Bent offers nothing but goals in this system.

Back to the NC era of season over by March I'm afraid.

Archived