Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

The problems (for me) are

We aren't scoring 

We don't control the tempo of the game or dominate it

We don't seem to play on the front foot and take the game to teams allowing them a foothold in the game.

The solutions (in my mind)

Drop Russell, he's a shadow of his former self. Id sell If possible play Lawrence

Id do the same with Weimann, there's just not enough goal threat to justify his place. Play Vydra in a wider role or buy/ loan someone

Still though the biggest issue is the middle. Here I'd suggest Johnson and Huddlestone need more help to control the game.  I'd bring bryson for his energy. This could mean a slight variation in our formation 4141 putting an extra body in the middle. I was a great advocate of the 4231 but after Saturday in worries that it still isn't enough for us to control a game from midfield. Plus brysons energy would lift the team. 

Thoughts?

Contact Gary Rowett and tell him!?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

We aren't scoring 

We don't seem to play on the front foot and take the game to teams allowing them a foothold in the game.

Drop Russell, he's a shadow of his former self. Id sell If possible play Lawrence

Id do the same with Weimann, there's just not enough goal threat to justify his place. Play Vydra in a wider role or buy/ loan someone (Kent, Jota, Sako or similar)

Still though the biggest issue is the middle. Here I'd suggest Johnson and Huddlestone need more help to control the game.  I'd bring bryson for his energy. This could mean a slight variation in our formation 4141 putting an extra body in the middle. I was a great advocate of the 4231 but after Saturday in worries that it still isn't enough for us to control a game from midfield. Plus brysons energy would lift the team. 

Thoughts?

Can't argue with any of that but would add that Forsyth & Martin should start ahead of Olsson & Nugent. Your best players are your best players.

40 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

No! Rumours are exactly that,rumours! I'd rather Rowett kept quiet until the new player/s have signed contracts.Rumours are usually just fans throwing out names on forums.

Not really, its very rare for a transfer deal to happen without it to have been rumoured (mentioned if thats a better word) in a newspaper or online with someone like Alan Nixon or John Percy

42 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

We aren't scoring 

Id do the same with Weimann, there's just not enough goal threat to justify his place. Play Vydra in a wider role or buy/ loan someone (Kent, Jota, Sako or similar)

Thoughts?

Why can't Rowett see this?! Or if he can he's not fixing it!

Not really for transfers as such, but rather than buy I'd put fozzy in the left of the 3 behind the striker. He's sound defensively to guard the midfield two, but played his pre-derby career as an attacking left midfielder, he'd at least add some strength and height up top

Just now, RamLad1884 said:

Not really for transfers as such, but rather than buy I'd put fozzy in the left of the 3 behind the striker. He's sound defensively to guard the midfield two, but played his pre-derby career as an attacking left midfielder, he'd at least add some strength and height up top

Agreed!?

45 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

We aren't scoring 

Thoughts?

Most of this is worth a try apart from putting Vydra out wide. We've tried utilising him there and it just didn't work. His best position is where he's playing now. If we use him intelligently in that position, he could become a real asset for us this season. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Was still reported before he signed just wasnt until late in negotiations but thats just 1 out of a lot of deals, cant see every deal in and out being like that

As I said before,I'm not fond of rumours as they get people too wound up and frustrated if they don't come to fruition.I'm happy to read about about a loan or signing that I didn't see coming.4 days and counting!?

If GR has gone on holiday I can't see any more deals being done but I hope I'm wrong ...I'm more than certain now that some players are never going to make it happen for us ..Russell Anya Butterfield Johnson to name 4 but there are others not doing it either 

Anya was 4.5 m yet doesn't even start in our 2nd 11 against Grimsby!!

also I'd change it to 3 at the back ...Keogh Wisdom Shackell for me and leave Davies out for a couple of games as he's been dissapointing ...we need pacey wide players who can deliver ...Russell infuriates me as it only took one decent performance against Bolton  for people to forget the inept  dross he's dished up for the last 2 seasons 

i will stick by my thoughts on certain players like Russell Anya Butterfield Pearce Ollson Johnson ( to an extent ) Hanson Weimann ...not and never will be good enough to get us promoted ...rather have a load of kids from under 23s

Rowett isn't playing to dominate possession. He trying to educate the players to press up as soon as the opposition get over the halfway line & then feed quick accurate balls to our speedy front 3 . In other words we are now reactionary. It isn't players we need its those players we do have playing smarter & working harder.

Can they do it? We will see....

25 minutes ago, Saity said:

If GR has gone on holiday I can't see any more deals being done but I hope I'm wrong ...I'm more than certain now that some players are never going to make it happen for us ..Russell Anya Butterfield Johnson to name 4 but there are others not doing it either 

Anya was 4.5 m yet doesn't even start in our 2nd 11 against Grimsby!!

also I'd change it to 3 at the back ...Keogh Wisdom Shackell for me and leave Davies out for a couple of games as he's been dissapointing ...we need pacey wide players who can deliver ...Russell infuriates me as it only took one decent performance against Bolton  for people to forget the inept  dross he's dished up for the last 2 seasons 

i will stick by my thoughts on certain players like Russell Anya Butterfield Pearce Ollson Johnson ( to an extent ) Hanson Weimann ...not and never will be good enough to get us promoted ...rather have a load of kids from under 23s

Interesting- lots of that are not good enough? 

Anya - promoted with Watford 

pearce - promoted with Reading

Johnson - promoted with Norwich 

Russell - Wembley play off final, fouled when through on goal and opposition reduced to 10 men, who knows if he hadn't been subbed off for Dawkins straight away who knows he might have won it for us

football is about balance and compatibility of players and we are searching for it

35 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Pearce - promoted with Reading

Russell - Wembley play off final

No, sorry, they aren't good enough.

Ikechi Anya aka Road Runner - "...suffers from the curse of the versatile player – you never know what their best position is."

Johnny Russell - "...good runner but unrefined and lacks sophistication. SatNav entirely unreliable."

Bradley Johnson - "...nothing like as smooth and desirable as the name suggests. Sluggish performance and inclined to overheat."

Alex Pearce - "...likes to compare himself to John Terry

"John Terry never seems to get caught," says Pearce. "People say he is not the quickest but he is sharp in the mind.
"I actually try to base my game on him.

I watch him all the time on TV and study his play.""I texted John and he said I could call him any time. He has since texted me a couple of times before games to wish me luck," added the ex-Reading defender."

Jacob Butterfield - "...poor starter, unreliable runner, early signs of rust."

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

pearce - promoted with Reading

Russell - Wembley play off final, fouled when through on goal and opposition reduced to 10 men, who knows if he hadn't been subbed off for Dawkins straight away who knows he might have won it for us

football is about balance and compatibility of players and we are searching for it

So what!! Thats the past!!! Who cares !!! Look at now not in the past!!...you think Russell is worth 7m so I'll treat your views with that in mind.....

Archived