Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

Just now, cheron85 said:

Wales squad just announced and the BBC are saying Joe Ledley is still unattached - What's going on there then? Waiting for a good offer that has failed to materialise maybe?

Question (and why posting here) - Would you take him? Bearing in mind he has waited until after the football season has started to get a club so I would imagine is holding out for a 'better' offer than a championship club?

Good player - But not sure I'd want to sign someone who might think of us as their last resort...

I seem to remember reading he had offers from all over the world including a team from China, so you'd presume he's got some silly wage offers on the table. And I also recall reading he'd rejected offers from two Championship teams, so he definitely thinks he can either play at a higher level, or get much more money elsewhere. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I seem to remember reading he had offers from all over the world including a team from China, so you'd presume he's got some silly wage offers on the table. And I also recall reading he'd rejected offers from two Championship teams, so he definitely thinks he can either play at a higher level, or get much more money elsewhere. 

I feel like most of the top European leagues have started by now though haven't they? Most would want to have their starters in place already - Especially if they could have been picked up on a free

So he could be backup or a desperation "missed your actual targets" choice somewhere good - Or end up signing for someone who he doesn't really want to play for?

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Wales squad just announced and the BBC are saying Joe Ledley is still unattached - What's going on there then? Waiting for a good offer that has failed to materialise maybe?

Question (and why posting here) - Would you take him? Bearing in mind he has waited until after the football season has started to get a club so I would imagine is holding out for a 'better' offer than a championship club?

Good player - But not sure I'd want to sign someone who might think of us as their last resort...

As has been mentioned  before, our midfield weakness is a lack of pace.

Butterfield and Bryson have energy, Johnson bulk and aerial presence and Huddlestone and Thorne skill on the ball.

We don't have a dasher who can quickly track back or forward.

Ledley certainly isn't that man.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I feel like most of the top European leagues have started by now though haven't they? Most would want to have their starters in place already - Especially if they could have been picked up on a free

So he could be backup or a desperation "missed your actual targets" choice somewhere good - Or end up signing for someone who he doesn't really want to play for?

He has the luxury though of waiting until even after the window has closed to sign for someone. So he can bide his time, wait until the window closes and then teams who missed out on targets are desperate to sign him because he's one of the few free agents who's played regularly at a top level. Then he can negotiate even more money because of how desperate teams will be.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

He has the luxury though of waiting until even after the window has closed to sign for someone. So he can bide his time, wait until the window closes and then teams who missed out on targets are desperate to sign him because he's one of the few free agents who's played regularly at a top level. Then he can negotiate even more money because of how desperate teams will be.

Or conversely he might have to accept any offer that comes his way ..................... it's a dangerous game.

Which I hope we don't participate in.

55 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Oh yeh true - But it depends on your motivation - I assumed he was looking for regular football at the highest level possible - I feel like that approach is about making the most money possible and not caring where you play

43 minutes ago, irobinson said:

i thinks we need players who are motivated and want to come to Derby - genuinely - like Tom Lawrence said.

We don't need journeymen awaiting retirement - and on high wages

We've already got one he's called Bent

"And how about Jason Lowe?

A tough-tackling defensive midfielder, 25 y.o.,179 matches, 3 goals

Free agent

ex-Blackburn Rovers captain, ex-U20 and U21 England

He supposedly wants a salary of £12000-15000-a-week."

That's just appeared on the Football League World website! They usually pluck out 3/4 players names to generate speculation.If he's not good enough for Blackburn,he's not good enough for us!

Just now, rcarso1 said:

That's just appeared on the Football League World website! They usually pluck out 3/4 players names to generate speculation.If he's not good enough for Blackburn,he's not good enough for us!

You've got me here. I've also read it there. He did trials with W.B.A. this summer and he looks quite good on youtube videos which I've just watched. I wouldn't say no to him.

Very jealous about Snodgrass going to Villa. But lets be honest, Bruce gets the best out of him and if he was ever going to drop back to the championship, he'd be going back where Bruce is.

Still think we need another attacking player to make a serious challenge this year...

1 hour ago, Mistaram said:

We've already got one he's called Bent

to be fair he came what 3 years ago? exactly - he's injured and now the past - if he had been fit - i am sure Rowett would have moved him on

We need fresh young people  - who want to play for the mighty Derby County

20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm getting rather jealous of the signings being made by Villa and Hull.

Although im sure we are still above both clubs ?

Wouldn't worry too much. 

Both those clubs seem to have all sorts of issues at present. 

There were probably forum boards in early 2008 with posts like "seen Derby have signed Mills, Robert Ghaly and Savage - all internationals. Fancy them to stay up and storm upwards next season."

As we know...doesn't always work out like that..

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Very jealous about Snodgrass going to Villa. But lets be honest, Bruce gets the best out of him and if he was ever going to drop back to the championship, he'd be going back where Bruce is.

Still think we need another attacking player to make a serious challenge this year...

Yet another high cost midfielder- how they get around FFP will be interesting 

6 hours ago, Parsnip said:

What's James Wilson doing with himself these days? We could do with one extra striker and didn't Gary once have the jota for him?

Is Wilson any better than what we have ? I wasn't particuarly impressed with his last stint here

Archived