Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Also sniffing around Jota and Forestieri, apparently. 

I like Fulhams style of play reminds me of us a few seasons ago...Jota and Forestieri are both game changers when there on form....

exciting players that cost a bit but sounds like Fulham are going for it 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely convinced we don't need an expensive signing. The key has to be the clichéd 'piece of the jigsaw' . Just like Eustace cost very little but knitted things together.  Leon Osman came in all those years ago and linked things nicely. 

We need that one player that fits the mould. David Davies at Brum was an interesting shout the other day. At first I thought 'God no' but the more I think about it the more I think he would be ideal. Or certainly that sort of player would. Strong. Mobile. Gives everything. Likes a tackle. Covers loads of ground. 

There must be other similar players. Not glamorous. Not necessarily ripping up trees at their club but that does a job that this team needs. 

There would be lots more satisfaction in getting that sort of deal done for a few hundred thousand vs blowing 5 million on another championship name. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

I do know he has had fitness issues but I think his goals early season got the Geordies to the Premier League along with the likes of Richie and the lad signed from Liverpool by McClaren  Shelvy

Would love a Shelvey type player. That mobility is what we miss. 

I do mean type player rather than Shelvey himself. He has a few too many issues. 

if you look at how many miles Kante and most cdm's put in it would be beneficial to get someone in midfield with good mobility.to play with Huddlestone or Thorne....as much as i like both Thorne and Huddlestone and on paper it looks good i don't think they are mobile enough to be in a 2 in 4231 and any other combination with huddlestone with the players we have doesn't look right either....if we could find another cm with loads of energy it would certainly help but hopefully without spending a fortune...really hope GR has someone in mind as i think our midfield has been quite poor this season so far.....I haven't seen us control a game for long periods except for Bolton but i think they'll be struggling to stay up.

5 minutes ago, Saity said:

if you look at how many miles Kante and most cdm's put in it would be beneficial to get someone in midfield with good mobility.to play with Huddlestone or Thorne....as much as i like both Thorne and Huddlestone and on paper it looks good i don't think they are mobile enough to be in a 2 in 4231 and any other combination with huddlestone with the players we have doesn't look right either....if we could find another cm with loads of energy it would certainly help but hopefully without spending a fortune...really hope GR has someone in mind as i think our midfield has been quite poor this season so far.....I haven't seen us control a game for long periods except for Bolton but i think they'll be struggling to stay up.

Jack Colback would be decent and could improve us - surplus to requirements at Newcastle. Covers lots of ground. 

30 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I'm absolutely convinced we don't need an expensive signing. The key has to be the clichéd 'piece of the jigsaw' . Just like Eustace cost very little but knitted things together.  Leon Osman came in all those years ago and linked things nicely. 

We need that one player that fits the mould. David Davies at Brum was an interesting shout the other day. At first I thought 'God no' but the more I think about it the more I think he would be ideal. Or certainly that sort of player would. Strong. Mobile. Gives everything. Likes a tackle. Covers loads of ground. 

There must be other similar players. Not glamorous. Not necessarily ripping up trees at their club but that does a job that this team needs. 

There would be lots more satisfaction in getting that sort of deal done for a few hundred thousand vs blowing 5 million on another championship name. 

This is why i think either Bannan or Bridcutt would have been good signings.

Betting Odd's ahead of deadline day - 

Gayle - 33/1 - 9th Fave

Jota - 25/1 - 7th Fave

Downing - 25/1 - 2nd Fave

McCormack - 28/1 - 5th Fave

Moult - 16/1 - 6th Fave

Rhodes - 12/1 - Joint 4th Fave

Luke Shaw - 16/1 - Joint 3rd Fave

Current odds suggest we aren't close to anyone

If we have to go with what we've got so be it ...it wont change my support of the club but looks like we are a bit short and still unbalanced but its obviously difficult for GR to shift out players no one wants...quite a few contracts up next season and i for one would not be looking to renew many  if any of them...maybe Thorne if he can prove his fitness...such a shame he has so many injuries and not quite sure we'll ever see him consistently enough.:(

Also someone mentioned GR has gone away to portugal so maybe thats our business done...the way he was speaking on tv recently hes been very busy on his laptop and working hard to get the right players...must be genuinely quite time consuming and tiresome i can imagine in todays transfer market

I would find it strange if we didn't get anyone, Rowett at the fans forum was again talking about us going for top 6 at the very least, but also alluded to the fact that if we didn't sign anyone he wouldn't be surprised if the current crop were to fail.

He knows what he has isn't good enough, if we go as we are all of the pre-season excitement would be for nothing.

I would be able to get slightly optimistic if I hadn't witnessed Sheff United away, Wolves at home, Sunderland away, to know we aren't much better.

Wisdom, Huddlestone, Nugent, Keogh, Vydra and Lawrence are real positives, the rest are all a bit meh.

Suggestion on Twitter that we have agreed a fee for Marcus Maddison. Seems to be on a specific Peterborough gossip thing. He's got a couple right in the past a day or two before it seems there is much press activity. Would be amazing  if we could get his energy in and send a couple out to Peterborough as part of the deal. Wishful thinking I'm sure and probably grasping at straws but... You never know. 

DMac has been asked for a rebuttal in the connected tweets and had ignored it. In the meantime he has replied to several random fan tweets about someone scouting at the game and another about him shouting at players. Just ignored this one though...maybe adds fuel to the fire.

Before any of the usual suspects dive in with 2 feet... 

I am aware twitter is not a valid source

I am not saying this will happen 

I am not stating that DMac replies to every tweet

I am not saying he is better/worse than Russell/Weiman etc

3 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Suggestion on Twitter that we have agreed a fee for Marcus Maddison. Seems to be on a specific Peterborough gossip thing. He's got a couple right in the past a day or two before it seems there is much press activity. Would be amazing  if we could get his energy in and send a couple out to Peterborough as part of the deal. Wishful thinking I'm sure and probably grasping at straws but... You never know

3C9280D800000578-4164892-image-m-13_1485

27 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Suggestion on Twitter that we have agreed a fee for Marcus Maddison. Seems to be on a specific Peterborough gossip thing. He's got a couple right in the past a day or two before it seems there is much press activity. Would be amazing  if we could get his energy in and send a couple out to Peterborough as part of the deal. Wishful thinking I'm sure and probably grasping at straws but... You never know. 

DMac has been asked for a rebuttal in the connected tweets and had ignored it. In the meantime he has replied to several random fan tweets about someone scouting at the game and another about him shouting at players. Just ignored this one though...maybe adds fuel to the fire.

Before any of the usual suspects dive in with 2 feet... 

I am aware twitter is not a valid source

I am not saying this will happen 

I am not stating that DMac replies to every tweet

I am not saying he is better/worse than Russell/Weiman etc

He's not coming down from the Premier League on massive wages, we won't be interested. 

Archived