David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Well that is obviously wrong 'cos loads of people on here have said he doesn't fit into our style of play! I'm sorry, I consider Bris and his acolytes to be far better judges of a player than an ex-professional and current pundit, what can he possibly know? (although I bet he hasn't watched that much of us to be honest...)

He wasn't at Peterborough away!!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
59 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

On a slightly different note, how many players have we signed who play under McClaren for England ? 4 ?

Carson , bent, warnock and nugent? What's frank lampard doing nowadays?

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

ST options: Bent, Nugent, Vydra (and probably Martin)

CDM options: Johnson, De Sart, Thorne

Nice to see we've learnt a lesson from 14/15.

Well in 2014/15 our CDM options were eustace, thorne and mascarell but they all got injured. A bit like our left backs this season. 

50 minutes ago, David said:

Bit daft when the money from winning that would dwarf anything we paid for Nugent.

Doesn't even need to score for me, as long as he helps the team win be it through assists, creating space for Ince with his movement, being a nightmare for defenders will do. 

Harsh to judge a player on goals alone.

I judge Nugent for being Nugent. I just don't think he will be effective enough for us. I hope I'm wrong though.

Could turn out to be a master stroke signing. An experience professional who has been a regular and consistent goal scorer throughout his career. He knows what winning is all about in the championship. Underrated by many but stats don't lie regular scorer and twice promoted. A steal at the price if he helps to get us to the promised land.

The fairest way to judge a striker brought into score goals, is to look at his recent goalscoring record, and Nugent's recent record is poor (13 in 71) I really hope signing a recently goal-shy 31 year old for 2.5m won't turn out to be money wasted. Would love to be proven wrong however!

6 hours ago, curtains said:

Nugent has his attributes as he is a striker with a decent record  

He is 31 and I just thought we could attract a better prospect a lot younger .

But this is DCFC I must remember and if this is at the expense of Martin coming back I don't like it. 

It isn't at the expense of Martin coming back, he has a contract with Fulham until the end of the season. Pearson sorted that if I remember correctly, the manager you thought was treated harshly.

We need goals and this guy can pull them out of thin air, He's also a great impact sub. Can turn a low tempo game around in an instant. Hopefully he will do the required business and propel us into the play offs. Some direct competition to Vydra will help him out considerably too. Just the type of player who can reignite our lack of attacking gumption. 

30 minutes ago, Iacomus said:

The fairest way to judge a striker brought into score goals, is to look at his recent goalscoring record, and Nugent's recent record is poor (13 in 71) I really hope signing a recently goal-shy 31 year old for 2.5m won't turn out to be money wasted. Would love to be proven wrong however!

That's a very shallow way to basis an entire judgement on a player, striker or not, you aren't taking into account factors such as how many of those appearances are off the bench or the relative chance creating ability of the sides he was playing in.

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

We need goals and this guy can pull them out of thin air, He's also a great impact sub. Can turn a low tempo game around in an instant. Hopefully he will do the required business and propel us into the play offs. Some direct competition to Vydra will help him out considerably too. Just the type of player who can reignite our lack of attacking gumption. 

I hope he can because 9 goals in 45 games for boro would equate to 4 goals in our remaining games which may not be enough to get us in the play offs.

26 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

I hope he can because 9 goals in 45 games for boro would equate to 4 goals in our remaining games which may not be enough to get us in the play offs.

What if they were the winners against Newcastle, Brighton, Leeds and Reading? :ph34r:

(And in the cup v Leicester as a bit of fun...)

7 hours ago, eddie said:

Warning - no speculation in the following post - only facts.

It's not at the expense of Martin coming back at all, because we have no right to force the issue with Fulham. Martin is essentially their responsibility until the end of the season (unless they terminate his loan with the agreement of Derby County and Martin). After that, who knows? It has been reported that Fulham then have the right to buy the player at a price which was agreed between the two clubs at the end of August, but that would be subject to Martin agreeing a contract with Fulham.

Fulham's manager is not happy with Martin. There have been various reasons stated as to the player's non-appearance, but because the manager has stated that he is not happy with Martin, it would not be too much of a leap of faith to suggest that the likelihood of Fulham taking up their option of finalising the transfer may have receded somewhat, and that come the end of the season, Martin may still be a Derby player irrespective of whether we sign Nugent or not (or any other player for that matter).

Agreed Eddie. 

But I would still like Martin back promptly thanks. 

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

For me this will mean Bent being released at the end of the season. If Martin doesn't come back Nugent will fill the role until the end of the season and when Martin gets back Nugent will revert to the Bent/sub role. 

Can't see McClaren letting Bent go at the end of the season he likes him

Archived