David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

It's the Derby way. Buy buy buy and have players sit. 

Seriously though Martin won't come back otherwise mcclaren doesn't do this deal. Nugent has pace can finish and works hard although Mcclaren says that he brings players into play (ala Martin) and presumably he thinks Vydra doesn't have this. With 4-3-3 bent martin and even Vydra become surplus. 

Ince and camara (russell) will be the wide men and Nugent will battle with Bent for the central role. 

Wouldnt be surprised if we work out a deal with Fulham to sell martin to a third team - given the fact that Fulham probable detest him but yet are digging in on principle.

More Codswallop....Martin's not going to be sold to anyone however vydra,weiman and Blackman will be.

And if Martin does come back Nugent will be his deputy,not the other way around...only one of them has scored 7 goals this year(when they have chosen to play) the other one has been on the bench and arguably doesn't do the link up/hold up play as well as Martin.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Not necessarily, 'if' Martin returns then I can see one, if not two heading out on loans.

As I see it Martin, Bent and Nugent would occupy the 'no.9' role, in rotation but probably with Martin as your main man. With the age of Bent and Nugent, you won't get the 90 mins every game but can be used effectively (especially if they teams try to man mark Martin out the game). 

The rest would be effectively wingers, one group which hold a free role (or another way of looking at it the no.10's). Of these Ince would be first choice, then probs Vydra, Camara and Weimann as back ups. The other group is your more positional wingers. Not sure who first choice would be but you are looking at Russell and Anya for these role.

I'm gonna say for the sake of argument that Blackman could probably cover all three positions but isn't above anyone there in the pecking order maybe? But also when I talk about outgoings, he would be one I would think will be going somewhere. Weimann is also in this category. Neither of them are bad players, but they are certainly two who I would say don't currently fit the system. 

I would consider that three for every position overall, with injuries/suspensions and aslong as they rotate them all I wouldn't say that's too far out the way. All hypothetical though I guess

I always liked;

Dawks - Link up man

Ward - Winger

Russell - Runner 

Bamford - Free player 

Link up man - N/A

Winger - Anya, Camara

Runner - Russell, Weimann

Free player - Ince and you'd probably have to say Blackman 

No idea what Vydra would be like. 

Our wide areas really do need some surgery. 

I remember when certain players signed for us and got very negative comments.

eg.....

David Nish,.....until he took the ball off an attacker's foot when it was a cert to be in the back of our net in his first game! No penalty.

Archie Gemmill (Archie who?) from Preston. Rams 4 -2 Forest!

Charlie George, Arsenal reject.

Dave Mackay, Spurs reject.

Frannie Lee City reject.

Alan Hinton....no hoper!

Derek Hales....oh, hang on!

David Nugent....welcome to DCFC.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For sure he's got a lot more chance of coming good than either Blackman or Weimann.

I'm not convinced, personally. Blackman's only really good spell came for reading, doing exactly what Ince has been doing for us (inside right, cutting in, in a team that plays decent football).  I don't think you could play him and Ince in the same team, but I wouldn't mind using him as cover for Ince.  I also wouldn't mind trying him upfront in a team that's playing decent balls into a strikers feet, rather than Clement and Pearson style football - I'm not completely convinced, but I think he has more of the skill set than Vydra to play that role.  He's certainly bigger, stronger and holds it up better than Vydra.

And while Weimann's not in any way great, at least you can see a way to use his pace and workrate in a mcclaren style team. Vydra doesn't seem to offer anything other than goal poaching, and he's so horrifically out of form, he's not even doing that at the moment.

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For sure he's got a lot more chance of coming good than either Blackman or Weimann.

Vydra need goal and that'll kick on his season. I kept saying this many times. Team Vydra. ??

18 hours ago, cannable said:

I always liked;

Dawks - Link up man

Ward - Winger

Russell - Runner 

Bamford - Free player 

Link up man - N/A

Winger - Anya, Camara

Runner - Russell, Weimann

Free player - Ince and you'd probably have to say Blackman 

No idea what Vydra would be like. 

Our wide areas really do need some surgery. 

They most definently do, problem is that too many players were brought in where you couldn't see the role they would have in our system. It's why I like both signings so far this window, you can see where they slot into the system.

Vydra, like Pearce before him, needs a long term injury to a previously "key player" to get and enforced extended run in the side.

if bent got crocked he would get an extended period of starting games, just like Pearce has with shacks being injured/Pearson naughty step.

in for one game, out for three, off the bench for 10-20 doesn't suit vydra at all

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not so sure about that. Weimann for sure, but not necessarily Blackman.

By all accounts (including the players), Blackman is incredible in training. Has the physical attributes and the technical ones. I suspect it's a mental block that is lacking a bit there and we all know how quickly those barriers can come tumbling down.

Vydra on the other hand, I don't think is as quick, strong or technically as good. Still better than Weimann though, but his recent appearences are beginning to make me doubt that.

Add to this the fact that Vydra needs to reinvent himself as winger, or buck up fast in learning that lone striker role - McClaren won't wait for him forever and by the summer he could find himself behind Blackman, Bent, Martin and Nugent in the pecking order (he's already behind two of them).

Archived