David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

He's our toe rag. Get behind him.

P.S. Apologies @Phoenix, only just seen that you replied with the same comment. Should have read the thread before commenting but I just couldn't contain my frustration at the sausage some of our fans come out with.

No probs. Anyway, he smiles too much for my liking.

1 minute ago, David said:

Even if his first and only goal comes at Wembley in the play off final and takes us up?

Nope. One goal doesn't make me happy with him even if it's a big one. I want at least seven before the Wembley.

A friend of mine is a boro fan he's put a comment on a FB page for boro fans which then appeared on my timeline. There are 76 comments on the page about Nugent. I've just read through them and every single one is positive, saying what a good player he was for them, all saying they are sad to see him leave and wishing him well at Derby. I wasn't over fussed about this signing at first but having read that, I feel very optimistic about his arrival now

PistoldPete2

Dunno which is the biggest turn round for me... Suddenly liking nugent after years of hating him, or having to accept that one of Alan nixons rumours was true. 

6 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Nope. One goal doesn't make me happy with him even if it's a big one. I want at least seven before the Wembley.

Bit daft when the money from winning that would dwarf anything we paid for Nugent.

Doesn't even need to score for me, as long as he helps the team win be it through assists, creating space for Ince with his movement, being a nightmare for defenders will do. 

Harsh to judge a player on goals alone.

2 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Perhaps the options are ones that SM doesn't rate.  Also the fact that loans aren't an option outside of the window will probably lead to clubs stalking up on options rather than leaving themselves short.

You could be right, RIMBAUD.

McClaren might not be keen on his existing options - Vydra, Blackman, Bent, Weimann, Russell - and it's true that just one injury to Bent or Vydra would leave us very much depleted.

So in the short term, it makes a lot of sense, especially if we can't get Martin back until the summer.

It just seems odd for it to be a permanent signing, as it's well established that the Championship is his level and that's not where we want to be in the long term and we could even still get promoted this season, so where would that leave him if that happened?

If he's looking for first-team football, he'll seemingly be competing with Martin and Vydra in the long term for one slot in the 4-3-3, which is no easy task.

Interesting move, in any case. I hope he does well.

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

You could be right, RIMBAUD.

McClaren might not be keen on his existing options - Vydra, Blackman, Bent, Weimann, Russell - and it's true that just one injury to Bent or Vydra would leave us very much depleted.

So in the short term, it makes a lot of sense, especially if we can't get Martin back until the summer.

It just seems odd for it to be a permanent signing, as it's well established that the Championship is his level and that's not where we want to be in the long term and we could even still get promoted this season, so where would that leave him if that happened?

If he's looking for first-team football, he'll seemingly be competing with Martin and Vydra in the long term for one slot in the 4-3-3, which is no easy task.

Interesting move, in any case. I hope he does well.

Well apparently Brighton were after him on a temporary basis so maybe we clinched the deal by offering a permanent deal. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Well that is obviously wrong 'cos loads of people on here have said he doesn't fit into our style of play! I'm sorry, I consider Bris and his acolytes to be far better judges of a player than an ex-professional and current pundit, what can he possibly know? (although I bet he hasn't watched that much of us to be honest...)

Archived