David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

2 hours ago, Iacomus said:

The fairest way to judge a striker brought into score goals, is to look at his recent goalscoring record, and Nugent's recent record is poor (13 in 71) I really hope signing a recently goal-shy 31 year old for 2.5m won't turn out to be money wasted. Would love to be proven wrong however!

Surely the fairest way to judge a player is to let him have a few games before calling him an overpriced has-been

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Boro supporter here. Just reading your comments on Nugent and thought I would chip in as I’ve watched him play the past couple of years.

Firstly – don’t worry that he has a bad goal scoring record for us – every striker we buy has a bad goal scoring record as we create very little for our strikers. Negredo is the same this season. I don’t think you can judge a striker on his goals in our system.

Nugent is very fit and very quick. He will surprise you with his pace. I think he is on record as the second fastest player at boro behind traore. He can easily play in the championship for another few seasons at the same level he is at now.

His work rate is immense. He runs non-stop, never gives the defenders a minutes rest. The fans loved him for this.

Although on paper his time at boro doesn’t look great, every fan has only good things to say about him. He is also one of the biggest characters in the dressing room and will improve team spirit. I think you have made a great signing and he can fire you to promotion. Good luck with the season ahead.

1 hour ago, boro123 said:

Hi,

Boro supporter here. Just reading your comments on Nugent and thought I would chip in as I’ve watched him play the past couple of years.

Firstly – don’t worry that he has a bad goal scoring record for us – every striker we buy has a bad goal scoring record as we create very little for our strikers. Negredo is the same this season. I don’t think you can judge a striker on his goals in our system.

Nugent is very fit and very quick. He will surprise you with his pace. I think he is on record as the second fastest player at boro behind traore. He can easily play in the championship for another few seasons at the same level he is at now.

His work rate is immense. He runs non-stop, never gives the defenders a minutes rest. The fans loved him for this.

Although on paper his time at boro doesn’t look great, every fan has only good things to say about him. He is also one of the biggest characters in the dressing room and will improve team spirit. I think you have made a great signing and he can fire you to promotion. Good luck with the season ahead.

I hope he does well for us, does Rhodes perform how he looks? By that I mean does he hardly run and not contribute to the team ethic? Hence he never plays? 

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I hope he does well for us, does Rhodes perform how he looks? By that I mean does he hardly run and not contribute to the team ethic? Hence he never plays? 

I personally think Rhodes is a good player, the majority of boro fans would agree with me. I like him when he plays he is an intelligent footballer and I do not understand the way he has been treated by the club. He has never been given a chance and has done nothing wrong when he has played. He is similar to nugent in that he probably doesn't suit our system. I think Karanka wants a big strong centre forward which is why he signed Gestede. I think Nugent will do well for you and I think Rhodes will do well for the next team he plays for. I would blame our manager for our striker problems, rather than the players themselves.

2 hours ago, boro123 said:

I personally think Rhodes is a good player, the majority of boro fans would agree with me. I like him when he plays he is an intelligent footballer and I do not understand the way he has been treated by the club. He has never been given a chance and has done nothing wrong when he has played. He is similar to nugent in that he probably doesn't suit our system. I think Karanka wants a big strong centre forward which is why he signed Gestede. I think Nugent will do well for you and I think Rhodes will do well for the next team he plays for. I would blame our manager for our striker problems, rather than the players themselves.

That's just not true though and I would question anyone who "blames" the manager for playing Negredo over Rhodes.

Rhodes is exactly the player Sparkle asked if he was. He doesn't hold the ball up and bring others into play, he doesn't run the channels, he doesn't pressurise the backline. He comes alive in the 18 yard box and you're playing with 10 men up to that point. That's why he has never had a crack at the premier league, because no lower end team can afford to sacrifice a place in the team for a man who may scuff a goal in from a yard out but do nothing the rest of the game.

He's Aldi-brand Inzaghi and needs his teammates to carry him.

2 hours ago, boro123 said:

Fair enough, good luck for the remainder of the season 

1 hour ago, MMC said:

That's just not true though and I would question anyone who "blames" the manager for playing Negredo over Rhodes.

Rhodes is exactly the player Sparkle asked if he was. He doesn't hold the ball up and bring others into play, he doesn't run the channels, he doesn't pressurise the backline. He comes alive in the 18 yard box and you're playing with 10 men up to that point. That's why he has never had a crack at the premier league, because no lower end team can afford to sacrifice a place in the team for a man who may scuff a goal in from a yard out but do nothing the rest of the game.

He's Aldi-brand Inzaghi and needs his teammates to carry him.

That's exactly what he's always looked like to me, and why I'm always amazed when people think we should be spending £12m on him.

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

So Mac likes 4-3-3

So if martin comes back this month [for those that think he will]

We will have to pick a front 3 from,  -

Bent, Ince, Russell, Nugent, Vydra, Weimann, Blackman and Martin?

What have 5 sat on the bench?

Camara and arguably Anya as well

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's exactly what he's always looked like to me, and why I'm always amazed when people think we should be spending £12m on him.

The only reason figures like that get touted for him is because Blackburn overpaid in the first instance when they bought him from Huddersfield. We won't want to make a loss on him, and if we do wind up relegated we have a player with the capability to grab 20 goals in the championship or 12 mill to find one who does more than scuff them in from half a yard. He's only worth 12 million if he leads you to that 120 million at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, toddy said:

So Mac likes 4-3-3

Not necessarily, 'if' Martin returns then I can see one, if not two heading out on loans.

As I see it Martin, Bent and Nugent would occupy the 'no.9' role, in rotation but probably with Martin as your main man. With the age of Bent and Nugent, you won't get the 90 mins every game but can be used effectively (especially if they teams try to man mark Martin out the game). 

The rest would be effectively wingers, one group which hold a free role (or another way of looking at it the no.10's). Of these Ince would be first choice, then probs Vydra, Camara and Weimann as back ups. The other group is your more positional wingers. Not sure who first choice would be but you are looking at Russell and Anya for these role.

I'm gonna say for the sake of argument that Blackman could probably cover all three positions but isn't above anyone there in the pecking order maybe? But also when I talk about outgoings, he would be one I would think will be going somewhere. Weimann is also in this category. Neither of them are bad players, but they are certainly two who I would say don't currently fit the system. 

I would consider that three for every position overall, with injuries/suspensions and aslong as they rotate them all I wouldn't say that's too far out the way. All hypothetical though I guess

45 minutes ago, toddy said:

So Mac likes 4-3-3

It's the Derby way. Buy buy buy and have players sit. 

Seriously though Martin won't come back otherwise mcclaren doesn't do this deal. Nugent has pace can finish and works hard although Mcclaren says that he brings players into play (ala Martin) and presumably he thinks Vydra doesn't have this. With 4-3-3 bent martin and even Vydra become surplus. 

Ince and camara (russell) will be the wide men and Nugent will battle with Bent for the central role. 

Wouldnt be surprised if we work out a deal with Fulham to sell martin to a third team - given the fact that Fulham probable detest him but yet are digging in on principle.

Archived