Clough and Burton

Ramz64

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

If taking a club from 3rd bottom to 7th

The thing is they were a good team and in a false position when he took over, they finished 3rd and 5th the two seasons previous.

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

FA Cup semi final

11 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

capital one cup semi final

Brilliant achievements, but did they affect the primary target of promotion?

12 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I wish NC had shown a bit more bravado during his time there

I wish he had shown that here.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'll say again. If taking a club from 3rd bottom to 7th and an FA Cup semi final in your first season, then following that with a play off semi final and a capital one cup semi final (both semi's as a league one club) is seen as failing or wasting an opportunity then the game has gone nuts.

He was brought in to achieve promotion, was given the tools and didn't complete the job. 

I'd probably say his target set by the Sheffield United board was promotion, hence the sacking for failure in the play offs. He reckons he didn't fail but not achieving goals alongside playing a dour brand of football will not keep you in a job at a club who expect promotion every year that division. 

On 27/11/2017 at 05:09, ronnieronalde said:

I don't see it at all G STAR, if one of them can tell me how we can be ambitious on gates averaging less than half our nearest "rival" size wise at least, Brentford FC.

If one of them can tell me how we can be ambitious with a budget of 6m quid in a league where probably 4 of the top 6 teams have one player on as much as that.

I think the ambition at the moment has to be a realistic "pray to stay in the division". Until we can somehow generate enough revenue to close the gap that is clearly there. To do that we need to unearth a gem or two who cost us bugger all and we sell on for a few quid.

Jackson Irvine being the first, maybe Joe Sbarra or Jamie Allen being the next in line.

Everything about the way the club is set up at this level indicates we should go down cast adrift in bottom place. Anything better than that and we really are punching above our weight.

Frustratingly we'd probably have a bigger budget next season already due toe the Irvine transfer and the Man Utd cup game, that budget will hopefully stand us in good stead whichever league we find ourselves in.

How much is budget really down to attendances? Is that really what separates Burton's budget compared to the rest? 

Obviously gate receipts, merchandise selling etc plays a part in revenue streams. But at this level, surely the bulk of it comes from TV rights/sponsors and how much the owner is willing to dig into his own pockets.

Is Burton's owner just really strict with finances? If Mel Morris was Burton's owner, would Burton still have the lowest budget in the league? Or would they have a top ten budget?

With FFP I assume it restricts Burton from producing great losses, but then again that's the same for most clubs isn't it?

Can Burton be contempt with being a League One club? Can they realistically make profits at that level? Because it looks like that's where they will end up next season. And I get the impression while they would no doubt prefer to play in the Championship, they seem realistic and almost resigned that their stint in the second tier is only going to be a short one.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the Clough reference to money, he didn't need it last season, and did pretty well. I was hoping he'd do the same this season, but he's given the team a ready made excuse to lose.

If you tell people they aren't good enough cos they didn't cost much, then they won't be good enough!

If only he had the psychology his dad had!

16 hours ago, David said:

695D3C9E-8742-4C62-8F6A-EAA4DF58B525.gif

It's getting really boring hearing it after literally every match.

If he does not think he and his coaching team have the ability to get their players to compete with a team like Preston, who I don't imagine have the worlds biggest budget, then he should either demand more investment from the board or resign.

Problem is that they've greatly overachieved - that brings expectations that the club simply isn't big enough to meet.

I'd suggest that their 'natural' position should be probably bouncing between League 1 and League 2. The realistic approach would be to accept they're almost certainly going down this season and start to plan for next year - whether with or without Clough at the helm....

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Problem is that they've greatly overachieved - that brings expectations that the club simply isn't big enough to meet.

I'd suggest that their 'natural' position should be probably bouncing between League 1 and League 2. The realistic approach would be to accept they're almost certainly going down this season and start to plan for next year - whether with or without Clough at the helm....

Really defeatist attitude which means they will never be able to attract players.

Chairman should have sought investment and strengthened squad as a sign of intent. (Although I do accept that their record signing got injured without playing a game)

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's getting really boring hearing it after literally every match.

If he does not think he and his coaching team have the ability to get their players to compete with a team like Preston, who I don't imagine have the worlds biggest budget, then he should either demand more investment from the board or resign.

Preston have a bigger budget because they have more fans. A bigger city. 

They have the smallest budget in the league by miles.

What else can he say? 

21 minutes ago, sage said:

I Imagine he has but one thing keeps smacking you in the face.

He is taking a fart into a sh1tting contest. 

Must be really demoralising for his players and their fans when he keeps reminding them that they are mere farts, when I imagine most of them aspire to be a pristine turd.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Must be really demoralising for his players and their fans when he keeps reminding them that they are mere farts, when I imagine most of them aspire to be a pristine turd.

Some of the younger farts will add some solidity to their game in time. However he has too many old farts in his team.

13 hours ago, sage said:

Preston have a bigger budget because they have more fans. A bigger city. 

They have the smallest budget in the league by miles.

What else can he say? 

I hear you Sage, and of course it's almost a miracle that Burton are in the Championship given size of club etc... But it's the constant whining from Cloughie about it. I have been surprised that it's after or before every game now and don't think it does him any favors. 

Id ask as well would say a Tony Pullis be bottom with them?? My point is, and we saw this at Nigel's time at Derby too, it's almost never his fault. 

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really defeatist attitude which means they will never be able to attract players.

Chairman should have sought investment and strengthened squad as a sign of intent. (Although I do accept that their record signing got injured without playing a game)

Do you want to invest in them GStar? 

3600 there on Saturday. No sign at all that there's any interest in pushing things further from the fans either. Yet they'll be the first to whinge.

Of course it'll get dismissed as coming from me, but I really don't get it/ All I see and hear are posts saying I understand Burton's position but Clough should be doing better. I understand they're way out of their depth but they should be competing. I don't get it.

He's being slated for not being able to achieve the impossible.

Archived