Clough and Burton

Ramz64

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect chance for Burton today against one of the most out of form teams in the league, down 10 men too, really should have been looking to win.

Sadly cannot see them stopping up.

On 2/3/2018 at 23:40, steve brummie said:

I've always admired Nigel as a player. (Who did he play for again?)?

As a manager he never seems to have been at a club that had much money for players.

He set Burton Albion on course for heights which even their most loyal supporters could never have dreamed they could reach.

His dad was always a bit of a character and still casts a massive shadow over him.

Towards the end of his tenure with the Rams I disliked the way he would sit slumped in his chair regardless of what was happening on the pitch. He exhibited a 'couldn't care less' attitude which would dishearten the keenest of players.

I like Nigel still and so, I reckon, do lots of Rams fans.

But then again I remember Tommy Docherty and John Gregory being in charge. Not to mention Nigel Pearson, which I won't.

When he was managing united in league 1 he had one of the biggest budgets in the league

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Perfect chance for Burton today against one of the most out of form teams in the league, down 10 men too, really should have been looking to win.

My eldest went with his Brewers mates and said they were pretty deflated not to have beaten a woeful Forest team. He reckoned Burton were laying Alamo type siege at times but are so poor with the final ball or shot even. Forest with his Rams tinted glasses on were a shambles but dug in with 10 men so deserve a little credit for that.

Having still said the result was more to do with Burton’s lame efforts than Forest’s dogged defence, he can’t see how the Brewers will stay up either, if they can’t beat that lot with 10 men who will they win at home against?!

29 minutes ago, Colm said:

When he was managing united in league 1 he had one of the biggest budgets in the league

And with it he managed to take the team from relegation zone to play offs, with 2 big cup runs. Shows what he can do when given a budget, to be fair. 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

We didn't do enough to win the win the game pal. Although we still should have.

15 minutes to go, bottom of the league, outplaying the opposition without ever looking totally dominant. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at them.

the players need to be braver there, somebody needs to go and win us the game.

strangely quiet burton fans today as well, I understand we're all nervous as hell but let's at least give them a bit of backing.

You know I've always thought we'll stay up up Paul pal, I'm starting to think that is based on hope and blind faith.

the lichaj challenge was a disgrace.

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

My eldest went with his Brewers mates and said they were pretty deflated not to have beaten a woeful Forest team. He reckoned Burton were laying Alamo type siege at times but are so poor with the final ball or shot even. Forest with his Rams tinted glasses on were a shambles but dug in with 10 men so deserve a little credit for that.

Having still said the result was more to do with Burton’s lame efforts than Forest’s dogged defence, he can’t see how the Brewers will stay up either, if they can’t beat that lot with 10 men who will they win at home against?!

Think your eldest has called that pretty muc spot on pal. Fair play to him for that.

cant argue with any of it. 

23 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Think your eldest has called that pretty muc spot on pal. Fair play to him for that.

cant argue with any of it. 

Thanks Ronnie, we hear plenty about the Brewers, both of us have taken in games occasionally, him more than me, both of us feel it’s almost like teams have found them out this year at the Pirelli.

Away from home, parking the bus and hitting teams on the break they seem better balanced; but like many teams at home and don’t seem able to break down stubborn defences.

We just go to watch a game of football with local mates, though some of the Albion fan banter towards Derby is turning us off now.

Being objective and I’ve said it before, the lack of a quality striker has cost them, Lucas Akins and Lloyd Dyer are honest journeymen with pace but not prolific, sure they had bad luck with Boyce, (he could be a Bryson or Sammon signing at the minute) and now they have Benty, but he needs decent  service and without it they will do well to escape the drop, because they just don’t score enough. Wednesday away was a one off.

Sorry Ronnie, just how we see it.

21 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Thanks Ronnie, we hear plenty about the Brewers, both of us have taken in games occasionally, him more than me, both of us feel it’s almost like teams have found them out this year at the Pirelli.

Away from home, parking the bus and hitting teams on the break they seem better balanced; but like many teams at home and don’t seem able to break down stubborn defences.

We just go to watch a game of football with local mates, though some of the Albion fan banter towards Derby is turning us off now.

Being objective and I’ve said it before, the lack of a quality striker has cost them, Lucas Akins and Lloyd Dyer are honest journeymen with pace but not prolific, sure they had bad luck with Boyce, (he could be a Bryson or Sammon signing at the minute) and now they have Benty, but he needs decent  service and without it they will do well to escape the drop, because they just don’t score enough. Wednesday away was a one off.

Sorry Ronnie, just how we see it.

No need to be sorry pal. Even during the times I was seen as being a negative trouble caused on here I only ever called it as I saw it and only ever disagreed if I thought the other poster had it wrong.

like to think I'm fair minded enough to recognise when someone is right and I am wrong.

i thought and hoped we'd click at some point and we are close. It could still go either way and we could still string a couple of wins together, at least we've got that hope now we've got Bent, Boyce is back and we've got the two loanees as well.

again I can't argue with any of your points above, you've nailed it, right down to the change in the banter towards Derby fans, the burton fan base is changing and I'm not 100% sure I like what I see.

we've got hope, at least we're still hanging on to being in touch, the urge plus is that there are 6 teams down there and we only need to get above 3 of them.

A win at Barnsley and it's game on. Anything else and even I will be running out of reasons to believe.

by the way Bent played well today with a couple of brilliant clever lay offs in the box, we should have scored from one of them. He perhaps should have done slightly better with a headed chance but overall he's a massive improvement on what we've had up front so far.

hes a cleverer player than I ever gave him credit for, the way he jumps early for headers is class.

really pleased we've got him on board and think he'll only get sharper the more minutes he gets.

21 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

right down to the change in the banter towards Derby fans, the burton fan base is changing and I'm not 100% sure I like what I see.

What do you mean by this? Don’t Burton fans like us?? I thought ALL Burton fans are just Derby fans in disguise?

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

What do you mean by this? Don’t Burton fans like us?? I thought ALL Burton fans are just Derby fans in disguise?

Even in the early seventies Rams fans quite liked the Brewers. I lived much nearer to Eton Park than the Baseball ground and often took in a game during their time with Hector and Storrie-Moore on the wings.

I heard chants of "Summer County"  quite often but it never detracted from the atmosphere or the game.

Gates seemed to vary between 500 to maybe 2k for a decent cup game.

Definitely nothing that would upset the Rams or their fans.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:00, ronnieronalde said:

Double standards again lads. 

If he ever comes out and says we were s**** or x player was s****, then he gets hammered for criticising.

The truth is (and I don't know why this causes a few so much angst) the budget is s****. 6m in total, the same as you're about to pay for Tom Lawrence.

"We" and I'll say we now cos I'm back there fully. Just got done by Boro who spent 43m in the summer and Hull, but we competed and weren't outclassed in either game (if Irvine hadn't have been sent off it would have been a different game).

I watched both games and if somebody asked me, radio or in the street. I'd be saying the same thing, unlucky, matched them for large parts of the game but ended up losing to quality we can't afford or attract.

Yesterday - Assombalonga (15m) Gestede (6m) Bamford and Fletcher (6.5m).

I don't understand why him telling the truth makes so many people angry. It's still bizarre in my mind.

I've said it before : I don't know if it's an Australian thing to enjoy seeing an underdog do well, as opposed to an English thing, but I can't imagine why every one of us isn't at least admiring of their competitiveness. Given the relative size of the club and their budget, it's incredible they survived the drop last season and have a fighting chance of doing so again just on 30% of the season remaining.

Nigel's doing an incredible job.

As an aside, isn't it also in Derby's interest for Burton to stay up, relegating bigger clubs from the Championship on the off-chance that we miss out on promotion this year?

6 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

I've said it before : I don't know if it's an Australian thing to enjoy seeing an underdog do well, as opposed to an English thing

It's an English thing as well, which is why I wanted to see Forest win yesterday

26 minutes ago, David said:

It's an English thing as well, which is why I wanted to see Forest win yesterday

Come on there is wanting and being realistic, I sometimes hope to come home to find a group of VS models having a Foam party in my front room. Thats not happened yet, however I reckon the likelihood of that is better than what you wanted yesterday.

On 2/18/2018 at 19:21, David said:

On 2/18/2018 at 19:48, Paul71 said:

Come on there is wanting and being realistic, I sometimes hope to come home to find a group of VS models having a Foam party in my front room. Thats not happened yet, however I reckon the likelihood of that is better than what you wanted yesterday.

How perfect is this?

Not only did I get to virtue signal but I managed to lay the groundwork for a p15stake of Forest as well.

Good job gents!

We were brilliant first half they pummelled us second half and deserved a point bit as I've said elsewhere o don't give a rats arse about them or that right now.

huge win. Have we possibly just dragged forest back into it with a Seven point fap? ?

Any kind of win against millwall and we'll have had a superb week.

tom naylor has been sensational , I've really gone full circle on him and love him to bits, he's so under rated and has adapted superbly to a role as a ball carrying centre half. Him and his mate Kyle mcfadzean were immense tonight.

Archived