Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Newcastle are above everyone in the league  us, you, Brighton and Villa are on the same level imo. You will turn it around, you have too much quality in your team not too. I've always been a Hoolahan fan, obviously he won't be able to play every game but you have an adequate replacement in Pritchard. You will be fine and I'm confident that you will make the play offs at the end of the season

We've got the quality but won't turn it around under this manager. He's past the point of no return, which is a shame because he is likeable and got us out of this league last time. Once you've lost the dressing room you aren't getting it back, even Jose Mourinho couldn't win back a lost dressing room last season.

Derby and Villa have the momentum and quality to get themselves in the mix now. Norwich need to act quickly if we want to be part of that. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well ground out performance today, our players worked immensely hard until the final whistle, didn't lose concentration once which was a welcome relief. There's still a lot to work on of course, there were some poor passes and mistakes and it was far from a complete performance, but the intentions were all right and were definately won the right track. Make no mistake Norwich have some brilliant players and any victory is excellent against them, this result cannot be understated it could be a huge moment in our season. This is how I saw it:

Carson 7: some dodgy distribution but made an excellent save which probably one the game

Baird 8: absolutely excellent in defence, tired toward the end sadly but a brilliant performance 

Keogh 7: couple of poor passes and headers but otherwise imperious 

Pearce 7: much the same as keogh but a little more confident on the ball

Lowe 8: another brilliant performance by the young man, his passing is brilliant, reads the game so well, a joy to watch 

Johnson 7: dodgy passing first half, much improved second half and great goal

Hughes 7: some dodgy mistakes which is unusual for him, but the intent was always there

Butterfield 7: Very much the same as Hughes really

Ince 8 (mom): all round play was excellent, desperate to be on the ball and terrified their defence

Russell 7: some brilliant moves but some poor decisions, so frustrating to see 

Bent 8: brilliant all round play, great touch and held the ball up so well

no one was outstanding, but equally no one was poor- just a very well ground out result against a touch team so well done to the whole team today, worked their arses off

Thought we deserved it, but Norwich played well. Spells where we couldn't get near them, but still defended superbly to snuff out any threat of an  opening.

I's like to see Alex Neill given the chance to turn it. They looked a good side to me.

Thoughts on today: First and foremost, a very entertaining game closely contested between two good sides. Norwich for the first 20 looked capable of taking us apart but we grew into the game, had a good last 15 of the first half and were the better side second half, deserving of the win in the end.

As the game went on it always looked like one goal was going to win it. It came to us but could easily have gone to Norwich, Carson making a really smart save early in the second half which in many ways was just as important as Johnson's goal.

Some excellent performances today from Baird, Bent and Johnson after a slow start. Ince deserves a mention for getting me out of my seat with that turn that left the Norwich defender on his backside heading in the wrong direction, while the two centre halves and goalkeeper were excellent.

Mostly though it was, after a slow start, a very strong collective effort. Yes, one or two weren't quite at it, but you don't beat a promotion favourite without a good collective effort.

Today I left the ground really buzzing for the first time in ages, and today we looked liked contenders.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Yes you gritters

Well I thought we were over run in midfield in the first half. I felt there were too many miss placed passes one or two that played their forwards through on goal. I don't think we created enough clear cut scoring chances.

On the plus side we came into the game more in the second half and took our goal well and after that Norwich didn't look like pulling one back.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Didn't we win 7 in a row during Nov - Dec 2013??

Fgs I've done it again.

I wouldn't believe a word I say from now on!

Apart from then, we've never won 4 in a row.

Unless we have, which is entirely possible.

Apart from the result, I think the way we defended today was the most positive part of our performance. Baird was mugged off the MOTM today- he was excellent. Russell and Hughes had poor games however. Maybe if they had been on form we may have had a more comfortable victory. The game vs Wigan is to be played on my birthday so hopefully we get a win.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

List of teams who fancy their chances of getting three points from us at present

1. ugh

We have still got a lot of room for improvement

We are carp at letting goals in at home, man.

COYR

On the other side of the scales, we are good at finding the net since we got rid of sammon. Sorry I just had to rise to the bait.

Norwich are a physically imposing side and they bullied us a bit in the first half, especially Mulumbu who dominated midfield and was lucky not to get booked.

I felt sorry for Bent in the first half because his striking partners seemed reluctant to support him. Ince didn't get started for 30 minutes and his touch was poor but in the second half he was a revelation, driving forward and back to help the team. 

Agree that Russell and Hughes were disappointing but that happens.

Defence was excellent - agree that Baird showed experience and desire.

We gradually realised that their defence was basically 4 centre backs and that shen put under pressure, they faltered.

Nice goal from Johnson after poor play from Will.

Thought it looked a penalty near the end but overall I think we deserved the points.

Not long arrived back in Bristol and now awaiting a celebratory. Chinese takeaway!

We have nobody to fear in this league now. Today was an ugly win but we managed it. I thought second half was a lot Bette than the first. Once we got on the ball and survived the first half hour of Norwich possession (which they did absolutely nothing with) then we grew in confidence and had them penned back of sorts.

It was always going to take a special goal or a mistake to break the deadlock today and fortunately Johnson came up with the answer. Cracking finish.

Norwich were pretty terrible but that's not to take anything away from the Derby lads who got stuck in and ground it out. Both Ince and Bent worked tremendously for the team and the kid Lowe at full back is looking a great prospect. Also credit to Baird today. Keeps it solid back there and so long as the more offensive players do the business then not having Christie isn't taking it's toll.

I was surprised at how late Macs subs were but we have a strong bench, a really strong bench which gives us options. Options we haven't really needed that much last few months which is amazing.

Pearson had the exact same set of players and we looked like some Bulgarian 4th division side. Now we look the part. Oh yes.

Just a message to those chav Norwich fans who passed us talking really loudly saying " right lads, lets get in there and smash these f*#@*%s!".

I heard you loud and clear.

My message is...........

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have a day off mate! ;)

Derby County 1

Norwich City 0

Archived